Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:14:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modifying outputs before forwarding?  (Read 752 times)
DannyHamilton (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 03:25:42 PM

I'm sure I'm missing something simple and obvious, but as I look through the protocol I'm not seeing what keeps me from creating a client that modifies the tx_out of all transactions that it receives before relaying them.

The tx_in is already signed in the transaction, so I don't need the private key.  All I need to do is change the address in the pk_script of tx_out to one that I have the primary key to before relaying it.

What am I missing here?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 03:40:05 PM

The signatures sign a hash of the whole transaction with blanks in place of the signatures (obviously, since the signatures aren't known before signing).

Changing a txout will change the hash and therefore require a different signature.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
DannyHamilton (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 03:42:48 PM

The signatures sign a hash of the whole transaction with blanks in place of the signatures (obviously, since the signatures aren't known before signing).

Changing a txout will change the hash and therefore require a different signature.
I knew it would be something simple and obvious, I just wasn't seeing it.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: