Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:38:34 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Richest dude in Asia, going hard on Bitcoin  (Read 3686 times)
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 04:53:48 AM

Li Ka-Shing did not get so rich by being a dummy.  It is worthwhile to watch what the extremely rich do (as opposed to what they say).  I believe Li Ka-Shing is diversfying out of China and Hong Kong.  A big BTC position might be very smart.

Another great example was Warren Buffett buying the BSNF railroad a couple of years ago or so.  He called it "a bet on America", but, Jim Rickards characterized it better as a hard asset.  A hard asset that transports other hard assets...  Buffett is not stupid either.

Bitcoin, in a sense, is a hard asset as well.

Then Warren Buffet donated to certain politicians and uses the PACs he funds to oppose the keystone pipeline. Guess how the shipments of that oil are being transported right now?

Crony capitalism at it's finest.  

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 04:57:30 AM

So how big change like this could effect us, the little Bitcoiners?

Good question brother   Wink   - I think most of us hope that Li Ka-shing efforts and others will help Bitcoin corporate mass adoption.

With this, we hope the Bitcoin protocol will be far more valuable (price / as a technology / as an asset)
We need him and people like him to adopt Bitcoin, then there is no limit for us. I guess that we just have to be really patient and that everything will come in time. Smiley

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2014, 05:29:20 AM

This is a great show of confidence in Bitcoin and our network/system. It's funny, I was just thinking after looking at the article that he kind of looks like an Asian Warren Buffet (the guy on the left that is), which he is the opposite of due to his faith in BTC. I think this is a great long-term investment for him, and will probably benefit his other BTC investments in the long-term. I'm sure he's got other BTC investments or at least is a holder of some in a secure wallet.

The one thing I Don't like from the article is this:
"A US government report published on Monday said if Beijing successfully prevents Chinese users from accessing bitcoin, price declines would continue and threaten its legitimacy."
I don't like thinking about the US gov trying to squash Bitcoin. Hopefully that would just make it more popular though.

oXo

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:32:31 AM

Depend on the multi-billions themselves, if it's one or two 10,000 would do and if in the xx category I won't take less than 30,000.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 05:38:47 AM

Although Li Ka-shing is not directly investing in Bitcoin, I believe that after just two or three years, he will see his investment growing to hundreds of times the original amount. Right now, Bitpay is valued at just $160 million. I think that within 2-3 years, it will reach the same market capitalization as Paypal is having right now (around $10-20 billion, that is an increase in valuation by ~100 times).
Arghhh

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:05:06 AM

To those who keeps repeating "person X is not investing in bitcoin directly"... what makes you so sure?

I mean, if I invested in bitcoin infrastructure, you bet your poor ass I would have more than a few bitcoins trailing me, but I wouldn't announce it to the world to spike the prices up as I'm buying it. Makes sense?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:18:54 AM

Any big investor would certainly keep their investment lowkey!

Agreed, I certainly would. From time to time, I would log-in to my wallet just to marvel at my 5-7 figure BTC  Cool

I doubt you would "log-in" to your wallet. You'd likely have that stash better secured than in an online wallet.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 06:41:26 AM

To those who keeps repeating "person X is not investing in bitcoin directly"... what makes you so sure?

I am somewhat sure, because looking at the exchange data for the last few weeks, I am yet to witness any bulk buying deals. He may have bought a few hundred coins, but he is not buying any five-figure or six-figure number of coins.
Arghhh

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 08:40:08 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2014, 08:53:00 AM by Arghhh

I am somewhat sure, because looking at the exchange data for the last few weeks, I am yet to witness any bulk buying deals. He may have bought a few hundred coins, but he is not buying any five-figure or six-figure number of coins.
Somewhat sure? Now you're starting to second-guess yourself.

Looking at exchange data for bulk-buying deals is akin looking at the sky for fish... which is what you're doing.

Why would any person with half-a-brain put that kind of money through an exchange post-EmptyGox when they can broker the deal directly with discretion? Why?

The reason you don't witness bulk buying deals is because they don't want you to know it... Why would places like BitPay or even miners, disclose their client info? Hint: it would be financial suicide.

Ka-Shing, as rich as he is, doesn't want anyone to know that he has thousands of bitcoins--if he has them. Why? Hack target. There is no good reason for Branson, Miller, and Ka-Shing to divulge how much is in their VC wallet. Most whales don't broadcast how much coins they bought or where they got it from, for security reasons alone.
RockHound (OP)

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 15, 2014, 01:21:43 PM

Ebay/Paypal constantly monitor market trends/browser keywords/financial news. I'm sure Bitcoin has been on their radar since 2010.

Just my opinion, but their announcement today regarding consideration of Bitcoin integration is no coincidence with Bitpay news.

Lots of speculation as to how their model would work;

Will it follow their 2013 granted patent: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20130173416&OS=20130173416&RS=20130173416 or modified version?

For integration to be viable, would they need to open another Paypal division that essentially follows the Coinbase model however with the ability to link international bank accounts?

What's the chances they move fast on this/full Bitcoin integration by 3/4Qrt 2014?

I don't have the answers  Smiley  but certainly interested on how this develops. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything official for another 3+ months.

Crindon

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:41:54 AM

Multi-billions is a lot of money to play around with. I would probably go with half a billion in Bitcoin. I think that is a decent amount and probably some would be dispersed into Mintcoin. It's interesting as his views are that China is friendly towards Bitcoin.
hensi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 05:53:10 AM

well i would have invested 21million in buying btcs.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:01:03 AM

Any big investor would certainly keep their investment lowkey!

This. Him disclosing the holdings would affect the market. I'd assume that if he were buying a lot of Bitcoin, he would do it slowly and meticulously so as to not boost the price up while buying in.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:05:54 AM

That depends. Some people view Bitcoin as an investment, while others view it as a currency. Li Ka Shing belongs to the latter category. No one stashes up a currency. Intelligent people would rather invest in currency-related services. That is just what Li Ka Shing did.
Crindon

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:38:14 AM

Actually, just having north of $800,000,000 would be a good amount to use on Bitcoin. It could buy out a lot of Bitcoin, but it wouldn't be able to buy out everything that is available now. I would probably use a large amount and get Bitcoin and use the rest on an ASIC farm of sorts.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:41:55 AM

Actually, just having north of $800,000,000 would be a good amount to use on Bitcoin. It could buy out a lot of Bitcoin, but it wouldn't be able to buy out everything that is available now. I would probably use a large amount and get Bitcoin and use the rest on an ASIC farm of sorts.

It'd be better to invest in an ASIC creation company rather than mining itself. It's much more profitable, as we've seen.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
hensi

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

TheSlimShady

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 06:44:19 AM

That depends. Some people view Bitcoin as an investment, while others view it as a currency. Li Ka Shing belongs to the latter category. No one stashes up a currency. Intelligent people would rather invest in currency-related services. That is just what Li Ka Shing did.
Who is Li Ka Shing? and it doesnt matter where and how you invest, its just that your investment shud bring you profits and profits are the thing that make people intelligent
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:03:37 AM

It'd be better to invest in an ASIC creation company rather than mining itself. It's much more profitable, as we've seen.

Definitely. What wait for 12 to 18 months to get your ASICs (in some cases you may never receive them), when you can build them with your own money? Much better option.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:06:36 AM

Definitely. What wait for 12 to 18 months to get your ASICs (in some cases you may never receive them), when you can build them with your own money? Much better option.

Not to mention you can mine with them until they are no longer profitable and then sell them as "new." Just like the other ASIC companies!

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 07:18:11 AM

Not to mention you can mine with them until they are no longer profitable and then sell them as "new." Just like the other ASIC companies!

Both Avalon and BFL were famous for that. Feels bad for the poor customers.

http://www.coindesk.com/avalon-accused-of-mining-with-customer-asics/
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: