Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:22:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Pool Mining  (Read 1541 times)
CliveK (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 04:16:30 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2014, 04:50:47 AM by CliveK

I have a question about pool mining I am hoping someone can give me a hand with.

I have read that with pool mining, miners pretty much run "dummy hash functions" for the majority of the time (I assume for now while there are still few transactions compared to say VISA).  This "dummy hash rate" is run to figure out shares/contribution for the pool in the event one of the miners in the pool manages to "win the round."

So far the closest I have come to a reasonable explanation is that the pool miner solves easier problems assigned by the pool, and one of those easier problems could be the solution to the block.

Can anyone comment on this, or point me in the right direction to see if this is the case.

Thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 24, 2014, 05:28:30 PM

When you're mining, you're actually attempting to brute force a hash to be less than a certain value.  On modern hardware, this is generally billions/trillions (GH/TH) times per second.  Bitcoin only cares about an actual solution which is less than the value required by the current difficulty.

"Difficulty 1" shares are hashes which would have met that requirement if the network difficulty was still 1.  Approximately 1 in 2^32 (~4.2 billion) hashes will produce a result that is at least good enough for difficulty 1.  From that point on, the easiest way to look at is is exponentially:

50% (1 in 2) Difficulty 1 results can also match Difficulty 2.
25% (1 in 4) Difficulty 1 results can also match Difficulty 4
12.5% for Difficulty 8
6.25% for Difficulty 16
1 in 23,844,670,039 chance of matching today's network difficulty.

Pool mining uses this as the basis for allocating block rewards.  If you were solo mining, Bitcoin would simply ignore any results that are not the network difficulty (or better).  With pool mining, the pool has you submit any results that match a certain difficulty (it used to be diff=1, these days it's normally variable based on your speed).  Most pools target very frequent share submissions (10-30 per minute).  This lets them get a fairly accurate estimate of your local hashing speed, and also allows them to give you a fair share of the reward by comparing how much effective work you have submitted with the rest of the pool's miners.

The "problem" you're being given by the pool never changes, just the quality of the answers you give back.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
devonne

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 11:02:12 AM

When you're mining, you're actually attempting to brute force a hash to be less than a certain value.  On modern hardware, this is generally billions/trillions (GH/TH) times per second.  Bitcoin only cares about an actual solution which is less than the value required by the current difficulty.

"Difficulty 1" shares are hashes which would have met that requirement if the network difficulty was still 1.  Approximately 1 in 2^32 (~4.2 billion) hashes will produce a result that is at least good enough for difficulty 1.  From that point on, the easiest way to look at is is exponentially:

12.5% for Difficulty 8
6.25% for Difficulty 16

Pool mining uses this as the basis for allocating block rewards.  If you were solo mining, Bitcoin would simply ignore any results that are not the network difficulty (or better).  With pool mining, the pool has you submit any results that match a certain difficulty (it used to be diff=1, these days it's normally variable based on your speed).  Most pools target very frequent share submissions (10-30 per minute).  This lets them get a fairly accurate estimate of your local hashing speed, and also allows them to give you a fair share of the reward by comparing how much effective work you have submitted with the rest of the pool's miners.

The "problem" you're being given by the pool never changes, just the quality of the answers you give back.

Okay, your opinions are noted.Thanks.

jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 09:17:21 PM

When you're mining, you're actually attempting to brute force a hash to be less than a certain value.  On modern hardware, this is generally billions/trillions (GH/TH) times per second.  Bitcoin only cares about an actual solution which is less than the value required by the current difficulty.

"Difficulty 1" shares are hashes which would have met that requirement if the network difficulty was still 1.  Approximately 1 in 2^32 (~4.2 billion) hashes will produce a result that is at least good enough for difficulty 1.  From that point on, the easiest way to look at is is exponentially:

12.5% for Difficulty 8
6.25% for Difficulty 16

Pool mining uses this as the basis for allocating block rewards.  If you were solo mining, Bitcoin would simply ignore any results that are not the network difficulty (or better).  With pool mining, the pool has you submit any results that match a certain difficulty (it used to be diff=1, these days it's normally variable based on your speed).  Most pools target very frequent share submissions (10-30 per minute).  This lets them get a fairly accurate estimate of your local hashing speed, and also allows them to give you a fair share of the reward by comparing how much effective work you have submitted with the rest of the pool's miners.

Okay, your opinions are noted.Thanks.

They aren't his opinions, they are facts.  Since he runs a pretty decently sized pool (BTCGuild), I'm quite sure he knows how pools work Wink

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
mbaeichapareiko

Activity: 101

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 09:13:35 AM

Hi,  Thanks for the info. 

So if I just joined btcguild with approximately   1.5   -  3.3 th/s  hashing ,    which mining team do you suggest would be the best team to join for best chance of getting some btc returned or is it all luck?

Thanks
kgb2mining

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:32:42 PM

Hi,  Thanks for the info.  

So if I just joined btcguild with approximately   1.5   -  3.3 th/s  hashing ,    which mining team do you suggest would be the best team to join for best chance of getting some btc returned or is it all luck?

Thanks
Teams just matter for the statistics, it has no effect on your payouts.  You configure your miners, workers and info to your account, and payouts go to you.  You can form or join a team if you want to compile stats and get bragging rights for having or being part of the team that has the highest hashrate or gets the most blocks, but it does nothing for your earnings.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: