Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:05:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Daul 5870's Ubuntu 2nd GPU  (Read 2387 times)
Zamicol (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 10:16:20 AM

Hi guys, I just got a second card, but I cant seem to get it working. 

I followed Humble's tutorial http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3356.msg47489#msg47489

Then I continued with Raulo for m0mchil poclbm  http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3359.msg47174#msg47174

I can get my first GPU to mine, but not the second.  When I try "export DISPLAY=:0" It only sees my processor and the first GPU. 

This might have already been asked before, I tried searching, but I couldn't find a solution so far. 

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 10:34:04 AM

Have you reinitialized your xorg.conf? Do you have both displays in xorg.conf?

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
Zamicol (OP)

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 08:59:48 PM

I ended up putting the video card in a second machine, but I have another 5870 on the way.  When it gets here I'll give you an update.  Thanks for the help.   Smiley
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 10:06:57 PM

Have you tried plugging another monitor into the second card?  You may need to get a DVI->VGA Dummy Plug (search for VGA Dummy Plug for a guide on how to make one) to plug into the second card.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
grndzero

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 12:31:59 AM

Have you tried plugging another monitor into the second card?  You may need to get a DVI->VGA Dummy Plug (search for VGA Dummy Plug for a guide on how to make one) to plug into the second card.

Linux doesn't need the dummy plug.

Sounds like he forgot to do the aticonfig --initial --adapter=all to add the card to the xorg.conf file after plugging in the new card as the previous poster stated.

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Donate if you find this helpful: 1NimouHg2acbXNfMt5waJ7ohKs2TtYHePy
Zamicol (OP)

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 12:51:12 AM

Have you tried plugging another monitor into the second card?  You may need to get a DVI->VGA Dummy Plug (search for VGA Dummy Plug for a guide on how to make one) to plug into the second card.

Linux doesn't need the dummy plug.

Sounds like he forgot to do the aticonfig --initial --adapter=all to add the card to the xorg.conf file after plugging in the new card as the previous poster stated.

Nope, I definitely did that step... a few times.  Once I couldn't get it to recognize, I rebooted and ran through all the steps a few times to make sure that I didn't forget anything, and I know that aticonfig --initial --adapter=all is crucial. 

But as I said, I put that card in a second machine and it will be a day or two until I have a second card in that machine again.  I'll update then.  Hopefully the problem will just disappear.  Thanks for the help. 

P.S.- When adding a second card, Ubuntu wont display anything graphically.  My solution has been to enter low graphics mode, follow Humble's tutorial up to aticonfig --initial --adapter=all, and reboot.  Those 5870's run really hot until the drivers are working properly though, and I know that can't be a good thing. 
grndzero

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 01:06:32 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2011, 11:22:04 PM by grndzero

Nope, I definitely did that step... a few times.  Once I couldn't get it to recognize, I rebooted and ran through all the steps a few times to make sure that I didn't forget anything, and I know that aticonfig --initial --adapter=all is crucial.  

But as I said, I put that card in a second machine and it will be a day or two until I have a second card in that machine again.  I'll update then.  Hopefully the problem will just disappear.  Thanks for the help.  

P.S.- When adding a second card, Ubuntu wont display anything graphically.  My solution has been to enter low graphics mode, follow Humble's tutorial up to aticonfig --initial --adapter=all, and reboot.  Those 5870's run really hot until the drivers are working properly though, and I know that can't be a good thing.  

That's kind of worrisome. I have 5850's but they didn't do anything like that when I was setting them up. You could always ramp the fans up if it's a problem.

Did you check the xorg.conf (less /etc/X11/org.conf) and see whether the entries were there for the second card.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[1]-0"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[1]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection

Ubuntu Desktop x64 -  HD5850 Reference - 400Mh/s w/ cgminer  @ 975C/325M/1.175V - 11.6/2.1 SDK
Zamicol (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 08:05:00 PM

Hey guys!  So I got the second card in and it's doing the same sort of weird things. 

I have two monitors, I'm using one DVI and one HDMI cable.  When I plug one cord in each card, I am able to run bitcoin, but one of my screens(DVI) has really bad artifacts, to the point of rendering it useless.  (Its mostly black with a few jibbered boxes on it)

If I plug them both into the same monitor, I am able to use both monitors without a problem, but I can't run bitcoin mining on the second card.  I think the second card is running really hot too, even while it is doing nothing.

I'm really puzzle by the strange behavior.  Huh

I've got it working in Windows with no problems. 

Here is my x-org portion with the ATI cards
Code:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option     "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option     "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option     "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[1]-0"
Option     "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option     "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option     "DPMS" "true"
EndSection
Zamicol (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 08:16:49 PM

Haha!  Cheesy  I got it!

I plugged both monitors into my primary card.  Then I went the the Catalyst Control Center (CCC).  It showed that there was a third adapter.  I enabled it, restarted and it all works now.  I have reconfigure the adapter so many times, maybe after messing with the settings somewhere it popped up. 

So now I feel stupid.  I hope that the third adapter wasn't in the CCC this whole time.  But even if it was and I'm stupid, I'm just glad to have it working. Roll Eyes

I still don't know why the cards run like crazy during boot, but as soon as the Linux Ati drivers kick in, they calm down. 

Thanks everyone for all your help Smiley
grndzero

View Profile
April 23, 2011, 11:23:15 PM

Haha!  Cheesy  I got it!

I plugged both monitors into my primary card.  Then I went the the Catalyst Control Center (CCC).  It showed that there was a third adapter.  I enabled it, restarted and it all works now.  I have reconfigure the adapter so many times, maybe after messing with the settings somewhere it popped up.  

So now I feel stupid.  I hope that the third adapter wasn't in the CCC this whole time.  But even if it was and I'm stupid, I'm just glad to have it working. Roll Eyes

I still don't know why the cards run like crazy during boot, but as soon as the Linux Ati drivers kick in, they calm down.  

You posted the monitor section of you xorg.conf. What do the device sections look like? Do you have the correct number of entries in the xorg.conf for the number of graphics cores in the system?

ghost

Activity: 34

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 06:44:35 PM

Haha!  Cheesy  I got it!

I plugged both monitors into my primary card.  Then I went the the Catalyst Control Center (CCC).  It showed that there was a third adapter.  I enabled it, restarted and it all works now.  I have reconfigure the adapter so many times, maybe after messing with the settings somewhere it popped up. 

So now I feel stupid.  I hope that the third adapter wasn't in the CCC this whole time.  But even if it was and I'm stupid, I'm just glad to have it working. Roll Eyes

Can you elaborate on exactly what you did within CCC to enable the card? I have dual 6990s running Ubuntu 10.10. I'm only able to access the first core of card 1 but I can use both on card 2. Only two cards show up within CCC.

It might just be poor driver support because of how new the card is.
Zamicol (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 09:27:17 AM

Sorry for the late response.  I'm entering into finals week and we had a lot of things due all at once.

Under display manager in the CCC, where it shows the monitors, there was a picture of something that looked like a PCI LAN card and it was labeled "Disabled adapter." It disapeared after I did that.   I clicked enable and everything was good from there!  I wish windows had this option. 
http://api.ning.com/files/BB*HyFUY1LyRYhTsrS8MkYtTJaKh*RPjW5WbdxKrYPQ5mLcEloFA0XIiRicGObdJ9c4q8Amy4-iG2NBMcX2Kt-qN4I-SN*1v/Screenshot.png?width=702&height=575

And Zero, here's the device section, sorry for the messup. 
Code:
Section "Device"
Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver      "fglrx"
Option     "Monitor-DFP2" "0-DFP2"
Option     "Monitor-DFP4" "0-DFP4"
BusID       "PCI:6:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[1]-0"
Driver      "fglrx"
Option     "Monitor-Default monitor" "1-Default monitor"