Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:57:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference?  (Read 9226 times)
chaord (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 04:37:48 AM

I know that part of the draw to Bitcoin for some of us is the feature of anonymity, but I'm wondering if there is any interest in the community for a face-to-face conference (ie: weekend of fun)?  I think that such a conference can also help to build the underlying trust necessary to the survival of Bitcoin.  How about sometime this winter?
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 05:22:07 AM

That would be awesome, but we'd need some sort of agenda that makes it worthwhile. Maybe this will take off once Bitcoin matures a bit more and there are sufficient reasons for a conference.

If you're interesting in voluntaryst/anarchist type of conferences, there are already plenty of those each year: http://freedomainradio.com/

chaord (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 05:35:56 AM

I actually just got back a few weeks ago from the Ludwig von Mises Institute annual conference http://www.mises.org.  What I like about bitcoin is that it is a community with a solution that we are actually trying.  I don't know many people in real life that are even close to as radical in their thinking as I (and many others on these forums) am.  Surprisingly, however, I am able to talk with my real life friends about bitcoin much longer than my normal rants about "what should be," because bitcoin actually exists Wink

I agree it might be a little premature for a conference, and that we certainly would want to have an agenda.  On the other hand, Bitcoin could be one of those things that experiences viral adoption if the mechanisms, incentives, and market signals are in place for the "average joe" to jump on board.  I feel as if an actual conference for those of us willing to sacrifice our anonymity would add some serious credibility.  Not to mention, it'd be fun.
Anonymous

August 20, 2010, 06:35:30 AM

I actually just got back a few weeks ago from the Ludwig von Mises Institute annual conference http://www.mises.org.  What I like about bitcoin is that it is a community with a solution that we are actually trying.  I don't know many people in real life that are even close to as radical in their thinking as I (and many others on these forums) am.  Surprisingly, however, I am able to talk with my real life friends about bitcoin much longer than my normal rants about "what should be," because bitcoin actually exists Wink

I agree it might be a little premature for a conference, and that we certainly would want to have an agenda.  On the other hand, Bitcoin could be one of those things that experiences viral adoption if the mechanisms, incentives, and market signals are in place for the "average joe" to jump on board.  I feel as if an actual conference for those of us willing to sacrifice our anonymity would add some serious credibility.  Not to mention, it'd be fun.

It is so easy to understand even a truck driver from Australia can use it  Smiley
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 06:58:52 AM

Oh man, I second that bit about "we're actually trying". Even though I love Von Mises, it seems that violence, and hence the capacity for government, will *always* exist: there will always be those who wish to enslave others for their own ends.

I've thus come to believe that the *only* way to achieve a non-violent and truely voluntary society is to have exceptional personal defense against the aggression of others. Once I was thinking about writing a sci-fi book with the premise that the invention of cheap and mass produced powerful defensive energy shields would lead at once to a completely voluntary society. Now, in real life, Bitcoin *is* that shield -- or at least as close as we can get thus far in terms of present technology. It greatly reaffirms my believe that freedom will, in the long run, win the battle against force.

Maybe we need a "Bitcoin philosophy" section on the forums for these types of discussions...
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2010, 07:16:58 AM

That would be awesome, but we'd need some sort of agenda that makes it worthwhile. Maybe this will take off once Bitcoin matures a bit more and there are sufficient reasons for a conference.

If you're interesting in voluntaryst/anarchist type of conferences, there are already plenty of those each year: http://freedomainradio.com/

Do you know if Steph is aware of Bitcoin yet?

I owe him billions in donations.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 07:28:08 AM

I doubt it.

If someone from here was willing to do an interview, I know he loves doing those on his radio show.

Regardless, I'll send him some articles in the meantime....
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2010, 07:30:58 AM

Nice. I wanted to, but I don't have any relationship with him, and didn't want first contact to be about bitcoin and seem spammy.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 04:02:03 PM

I would be interested.  Satoshi definitely needs to be there if it were to gather interest.
aceat64

Activity: 307
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 04:35:54 PM

I'm up for a conference, or maybe for now having a booth/seminar at another conference.
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
August 20, 2010, 05:21:11 PM

I know a guy who runs a peer to peer conference. It is piggybacks on a digital media conference. There have been various groups interested in p2p payment systems there in the past.

I could probably get him interested in bitcoin if there was interest here. The group is small in number compared to the giant trade shows, so bitcoin would stand out more.

It is a LA or DC show usually. I haven't been in about three years, but I did get to meet ant party with the edonkey, morpheus, and kazaa folks. Lots of Hollywood types trying to figure out how to get paid for their digital properties there too. Bitcoin could be very useful to that market.

Any thoughts?
Anonymous

August 21, 2010, 01:02:25 AM

We could have a web conference  Smiley
Live stream the booth on ustream and let people join in from anywhere.
BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2010, 06:01:24 AM

Nice. I wanted to, but I don't have any relationship with him, and didn't want first contact to be about bitcoin and seem spammy.

Bah .... I send him a facebook message about it a while ago, and he never did respond. Maybe I'll try again via a different approach. It would really be great to have him talk about it on his radio show.
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 03:44:06 AM

Bitcoin Conference 2011 NYC

What about this proposed date:  June 23-26 ....?

( We just registered http://bitcoinconference.com )

Reply with a cc to me via email to be certain I get it:  bruce@onlyonetv.com
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 20, 2011, 03:53:45 AM

Started a new thread....

Let's continue this discussion there:

http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6150.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: