Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:20:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart Money has left the building… Have you?  (Read 7475 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 09:43:02 AM

The true believers in bitcoin should be buying up all the bitcoins they can while they're this cheap.  There is no asterisk on Bitconica's buy side, and anyway, true believers would use their own cash to reaffirm their convictions.

I'm pretty much out of cash from all the affirming of my convictions in the past.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 09:58:27 AM

i am prepared to buy at 2.5 again... not buying before 3

Hang in there..you may see it sooner rather than later...

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
BTConomist (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 04:13:45 PM

The true believers in bitcoin should be buying up all the bitcoins they can while they're this cheap.

It’s never about the faith in bitcoin, because as a currency, BTC can rock, big time!
It’s all about the mechanics of bitcoin; and your idea of BTC value just doesn’t fit the bill.

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 04:25:10 PM

OK, bees, who dares to buy couple Ks, say at $4.99/BTC? (It's a steal, if you ask me.)

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 04:32:43 PM

I don't know what it is about bees, but after you annihilate their hive in search of that sweet honey, some of them still linger around for hours/days as if it will magically reappear.

BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 06:47:40 PM

Supply and demand for bitcoins does not give BTC its value.
But supply and demand for goods/services denominated in BTC does.

P.S. Don't make me pull out the wizard hat again... Your honey is fake!

Then what makes the exchange rate go up when dollars flow into the market/decline when they go out?

I wasn't referring to the exchange rate.

Bro

Activity: 218

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 06:54:29 PM

I'm still in the building

uber smart money stays in the building, bitch

What’s with the hate? I merely provide the insight on perishable gold.
[/quote

no hate
I left the building too
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 07:43:26 PM

OK, bees, who dares to buy couple Ks, say at $4.99/BTC? (It's a steal, if you ask me.)
Don't have the scratch, but if I did, it'd be a no-brainer. There's enough ask depth for me to turn around and sell it all on Mt. Gox, and make a tidy profit when I do it!

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
brunoshady

Activity: 262
Merit: 250

Dubs Get

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 08:01:23 PM

YAY

😆
brunoshady

Activity: 262

Dubs Get

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 08:03:47 PM

yay

😆
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 08:33:47 PM

Supply and demand for bitcoins does not give BTC its value.
But supply and demand for goods/services denominated in BTC does.

P.S. Don't make me pull out the wizard hat again... Your honey is fake!

Then what makes the exchange rate go up when dollars flow into the market/decline when they go out?

I wasn't referring to the exchange rate.

You referred to the value of Bitcoin, which can be expressed, even if only by proxy, by the exchange rate. From the standpoint of making quantitative decisions about the 'value' of Bitcoin the exchange rate has to be considered. This is affected by supply and demand.

When it comes to currencies, don't the exchange rates follow the value?
Without the latter, it's about BZZZZ, BZZZZ, BZZZZ... GOLD, GOLD, GOLD!!!

arepo

Activity: 448

this statement is false

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 08:44:30 PM

Grin

EDIT: pps bear market signalled by the Chaikin Money Flow going negative for the first time since early December, and a huge crash (+/- crossover) in the Chaikin Oscillator (momentum of the Accumulation/Distribution Line) these past 2-3 days.

i think we are ...sslipping into pessimisssm...

or are we still in denial that our own rampant speculation caused the volatility?

bear market ahead, folks

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 08:56:43 PM

Grin

EDIT: pps bear market signalled by the Chaikin Money Flow going negative for the first time since early December, and a huge crash (+/- crossover) in the Chaikin Oscillator (momentum of the Accumulation/Distribution Line) these past 2-3 days.

i think we are ...sslipping into pessimisssm...

or are we still in denial that our own rampant speculation caused the volatility?

bear market ahead, folks

Ive been pessimistic.  BTC trading services suck.
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 09:24:17 PM

When it comes to currencies, don't the exchange rates follow the value?
Without the latter, it's about BZZZZ, BZZZZ, BZZZZ... GOLD, GOLD, GOLD!!!

In this case the 'value' as I think you mean it is interdependent with the exchange rate. A higher volume of exchange, with a higher exchange rate is accommodative of a larger set of 'purchases' than a lower volume of exchange with a lower exchange rate. A lower exchange rate makes Bitcoin less valuable because the maximum size of purchase that can be made is limited by the liquidity of currency exchange as a whole. A higher exchange rate, with more exchange volume can accommodate larger purchases without causing a crisis of liquidity, this makes Bitcoin more valuable on the basis of it's utility as a currency.

An exchange rate is merely an expression of one currency's value relative to that of other currencies.

But when it comes to BTC-denominated commercial transactions, BTC's value is still nonexistent (or near zero).

zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 09:34:05 PM

I know I've created one of this bearish threads myself - but the saturation of this forum by them now reached the point where they are starting to be a good contrarian indicator.
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 10:05:35 PM

An exchange rate is merely an expression of one currency's value relative to that of other currencies.

But when it comes to BTC-denominated commercial transactions, BTC's value is still nonexistent (or near zero).

To say an exchange rate is merely an expression of one currency's value relative to that of other currencies is nothing but tautology, it completely ignores the mechanics of how the exchange rate gets to be that way. If you have any interest at all in quantitative finance that is not something you get to ignore.

What mechanics does it ignore?

Are you trying to point out that an exchange rate can be used to speculate on the future value of a currency? Because I don't discount that.

My main point about BTC is that it's no gold — it's perishable gold (it's value decays when it is being hoarded).

miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 10:18:57 PM

My main point about BTC is that it's no gold — it's perishable gold (it's value decays when it is being hoarded).

Where's the expiration date that erodes the stored value?
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 10:50:47 PM

When it comes to BTC, there's no such thing as a stored value.

BTC has a "carry forward" value, which decays when hoarded. But that's something I will discuss at some future date.

Right now, I just want me some real honey... Where are the real honey bees at?! I can already smell that $4.00 hive... If only it was up on the trees.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 10:59:43 PM

When it comes to BTC, there's no such thing as a stored value.

BTC has a "carry forward" value, which decays when hoarded. But that's something I will discuss at some future date.

Right now, I just want me some real honey... Where are the real honey bees at?! I can already smell that $4.00 hive... If only it was up on the trees.

So what are the "accounting periods", blocks maybe?  Why does that mean value decays?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2012, 02:15:24 AM

For purposes of use as a currency Bitcoin is superior to gold.

In order for gold to be transmitted it either requires an abstraction layer, which adds cost to the transaction, or it has to be transported physically, which also adds to the cost of transacitons. As well, an abstraction layer also makes gold vulnerable to fractionalization.

No argument here, if we stick with "use as a currency" as premise.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: