Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:08:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you mine on deepbit?  (Read 18301 times)
Costia

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 08:18:20 PM

There's no good reason to mine on deepbit.
It's the pool with the highest fees for proportional AND PPS. Don't like high variance with smaller pools? there are plenty of pps pools with zero fees. That's right folks, zero variance, AND you don't pay fees. crazy, right?

inb4 diablo locks this for being off topic.
hahaha you are naive that are pools with no fees plz make a deep analysis and see if the pool admins steal from miners using shares or sending block solutions to other daemon on other IP
how can you steal on a 100% pps pool with no fees? you can even calculate the pps yourself and see if it is correct.
maybe they can set the share difficulty higher than 1, but you can see that as well.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2012, 08:37:45 PM

It's the pool with the highest fees for proportional AND PPS. Don't like high variance with smaller pools? there are plenty of pps pools with zero fees. That's right folks, zero variance, AND you don't pay fees. crazy, right?

hahaha you are naive that are pools with no fees plz make a deep analysis and see if the pool admins steal from miners using shares or sending block solutions to other daemon on other IP

If the pool has been around long enough, a statistical analysis will let you know if the op is stealing blocks as well.  Not that I think Tycho would do anything of the sort, but how does your reasoning not apply to Deepbit as well?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 09:00:59 PM

P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 09:18:42 PM

This network latency argument is laughable.

Lets assume a terribly bad 500ms latency. There is a longpoll on average every 10 minutes (im ignoring merged mining which you seem to despise anyway). So there is a 1/1200th chance your share will be stale because you missed the LP due to network latency. That is 0.08%. Okay maybe more if you run several miners, but somehow you think its worth giving 3% in fees to lower that number?

But its even more nonsensical than that. There is not even a direct relationship between latency and stales. If you mine at a large  pool that has to send 5000 longpolls to its miners and you happen to be the last one served, a 10ms ping isnt gonna do you any good.  It might still take 200+ms before the pool serves you.

The most sensible metric is measured stales. But guess what, unless you are mining PPS, even that is not all telling. An efficient pool will send an LP to the fastest miners first, as that will increase the block creation rate a tiny bit, so you stand to gain from being served later if you have a low hashrate.

TL;DR Use pings to choose your BF3 server, use your brain to choose a pool

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 09:28:01 PM

So you have Eclipse at 83ms and Bitclockers at a phenomenal 43ms and your solution is to switch to BTCGuild at 127ms?  How does that even work out?

You can mine at EMC and turn off MM if you dislike it.  I'm not sure what Bitclockers policy is on MM.  But in all honesty, at your latency, it doesn't matter too much to begin with.  So the latency argument for mining on Deepbit is pretty much bunk due to transoceanic connections.  There may be other valid reasons and I'm not discounting them, but latency isn't one of them.  For Flower, though, it may make a slight difference, since he basically lives in the Hetzner datacenter Smiley

Oh? I did not know that one could disable the MM half, I assumed all MM pools were "strictly" set as MM (i assumed it was somekind of coding forcing it to behave in a non alterable manner)
Clearly. I have made an idiot out of myself.

Quote "How does that even work out?"
Well. Inaba your correct for asking that question, It does not "work out", I just went "oh hey i used to mine at BTCguild!, ima go back there!"

Now, As to the argument around Latency=Stales, I agree--That the amount is (most of the time) Neglegable in situations <200ms

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 09:29:47 PM

This network latency argument is laughable.

Lets assume a terribly bad 500ms latency. There is a longpoll on average every 10 minutes (im ignoring merged mining which you seem to despise anyway). So there is a 1/1200th chance your share will be stale because you missed the LP due to network latency. That is 0.08%. Okay maybe more if you run several miners, but somehow you think its worth giving 3% in fees to lower that number?

But its even more nonsensical than that. There is not even a direct relationship between latency and stales. If you mine at a large  pool that has to send 5000 longpolls to its miners and you happen to be the last one served, a 10ms ping isnt gonna do you any good.  It might still take 200+ms before the pool serves you.

The most sensible metric is measured stales. But guess what, unless you are mining PPS, even that is not all telling. An efficient pool will send an LP to the fastest miners first, as that will increase the block creation rate a tiny bit, so you stand to gain from being served later if you have a low hashrate.

Funny, I was Half typing what you were while you were typing. Ima just Restate that last part, I couldnt agree more

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 10:47:42 PM

I have made an idiot out of myself.

I knew that when you didn't mine on P2Pool for a month after I helped you out with the sdk problem.  Angry

You would be way ahead by now, the pool is still getting donations in fact!
Man, I admit i wasnt there for a month, I ran it for a week (yeah yeah short window for such a small pool) and had significantly less rewards than deepbit

Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 29, 2012, 11:50:39 PM

-_-" Please notice the 8mintue up time... I was testing different miners around that time, With the 'new' cgminer that i had gotten, i had started to test features on it, And start to understand the program itself, Like in the post, I was confused about the effiecency I was also seeing what miner would work the best, And weather or not p2pool would work properly with phoenix (for the sake of a gui)

PatrickHarnett

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:05:11 AM

I mine at deepbit - so what.  It works so it saves me pissing around and spending my time making other things work.  My time is worth something.

If I pay 3% on a couple of coins/day for the last six months that I've been mining (on and off) that's 11 whole coins ($50-$60) - I'm unexcited by that as it's trivial.
RandyFolds

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:09:03 AM

I mine at deepbit - so what.  It works so it saves me pissing around and spending my time making other things work.  My time is worth something.

If I pay 3% on a couple of coins/day for the last six months that I've been mining (on and off) that's 11 whole coins ($50-$60) - I'm unexcited by that as it's trivial.

Making other things work? Are you fucking kidding? So, fifteen minutes to set up an account and point miners at it isn't worth $60? You really value your time at $240/hr? I would bet my life that you have no skill worth that much, save maybe whoring yourself out to fat chicks. Even that is a stretch.
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:16:45 AM

Making other things work? Are you fucking kidding? So, fifteen minutes to set up an account and point miners at it isn't worth $60? You really value your time at $240/hr? I would bet my life that you have no skill worth that much, save maybe whoring yourself out to fat chicks. Even that is a stretch.

Thanks Randy.  Actually, for the work I do my charge rate is 250.

I should have also observed that keeping computers running well on something for six months or a year takes more than 15 minutes, I found that in terms of what i spend my time working on, it wasn't a huge overhead.
RandyFolds

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:19:20 AM

I should have also observed that keeping computers running well on something for six months or a year takes more than 15 minutes, I found that in terms of what i spend my time working on, it wasn't a huge overhead.

What do you do for $250/hr?
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:22:52 AM

Currently (this week) doing risk management software audit for a retail company (it's a bit dull) and advising on risk parameters/policy for a wholesale company (more interesting).  Next week - don't know.  Maybe I could rub your tummy for you?

Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 12:24:20 AM

-_-" Please notice the 8mintue up time... I was testing different miners around that time, With the 'new' cgminer that i had gotten, i had started to test features on it, And start to understand the program itself, Like in the post, I was confused about the effiecency I was also seeing what miner would work the best, And weather or not p2pool would work properly with phoenix (for the sake of a gui)

"Here is a sample of me mining overnight..."

Anyway, it's neither here nor there. I gave up whatever donation you were going to offer, in the hopes that you would stick to P2Pool for a month and be another miner to help with the variance. Oh well, P2Pool is doing fine anyway.
While i do understand your desire to stop arguing... I would like to remind you that i said i would be sending 1gh/sec to P2Pool, That readout is from my desktopgaming computer, Not my miner, Yes, I did fuckup and say 8minute up time@ a 11hr run, Fuckups happen, I see U:8.76/m and think "up8.76share/minute", And when i quickly glaced at it, Thats not what i thought and fuckedout a scentence

RandyFolds

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:44:24 AM

I mine at deepbit - so what.  It works so it saves me pissing around and spending my time making other things work.  My time is worth something.

Thanks Randy.  Actually, for the work I do my charge rate is 250.

Currently (this week) doing risk management software audit for a retail company (it's a bit dull) and advising on risk parameters/policy for a wholesale company (more interesting).  Next week - don't know.  Maybe I could rub your tummy for you?

So, in reality, you bill at $250/hr, are self employed and have plenty of overhead wrapped into that figure. Maybe I am arguing semantics, but as a small business owner, I can confidently say that isn't the same as a wage of $250/hr.

What's the ticket on a belly rub?
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 01:49:19 AM

Using an usual pool instead of the P2Pool is like being fan of banks instead of Bitcoin.
You are hitting your foots Roll Eyes

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:52:42 AM
Last edit: January 30, 2012, 02:08:15 AM by PatrickHarnett

Currently (this week) doing risk management software audit for a retail company (it's a bit dull) and advising on risk parameters/policy for a wholesale company (more interesting).  Next week - don't know.  Maybe I could rub your tummy for you?

So, in reality, you bill at $250/hr, are self employed and have plenty of overhead wrapped into that figure. Maybe I am arguing semantics, but as a small business owner, I can confidently sat that isn't the same as a wage of $250/hr.

What's the ticket on a belly rub?

Quite right, I actually work for someone else and my deal is I get 60%.  I would prefer not to work, but it helps fill in the day and pay for my hobbies.

I'm actually quite honored to have elicited such an interesting response from you.

As for the belly rub?  Probably about the same as when I had to cut my father-in-law's toe-nails.

Edit: sorry this has gone off topic.  Why deepbit?  It'll do for now
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 01:58:30 AM

Using an usual pool instead of the P2Pool is like being fan of banks instead of Bitcoin.

So you don't keep some of your regular currency in a bank?
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 02:12:24 AM

Sam
Yes, because I'm forced by the actual situation, but that doesn't make me a fan of the banks system.
So my statement is still true, no one is forced to use the old style pool.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 02:45:19 AM

Sam

I don't keep regular currency period.  Wink

So you found a liquor store that accepts BTC?

Maybe I should have said legacy currency?
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: