Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:13:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you mine on deepbit?  (Read 18300 times)
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2012, 12:16:38 AM

For my part I have been lurking at all pools for quite a while and only lately been able to figure out what % deepbit fee was for PPS.
I don't know why "only lately" you have been able to figure you that DB charges a 10% PPS fee.  Tycho has posted several times to DB customers that the fee is 10%.  So the information in % was and is freely available to DB miners.  And the actual price has *always* been available on the main page.

I haven't mined PPS on DB in months.  But I do still mine proportional there when the luck is good.  Like today.
Sam
I do not care how obvious it was for you to find it among the various comment on this forum, (are you serious ?)

I am not personally feeling mislead, I'm just pointing out that The information provided on the main page is intentionally misleading and it is obvious a large part of DB miners don't know about it.

Ps: There is no way to tell when luck will be good...(are you serious ?)  F... why even bother ..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 01:55:56 AM

For my part I have been lurking at all pools for quite a while and only lately been able to figure out what % deepbit fee was for PPS.
I don't know why "only lately" you have been able to figure you that DB charges a 10% PPS fee.  Tycho has posted several times to DB customers that the fee is 10%.  So the information in % was and is freely available to DB miners.  And the actual price has *always* been available on the main page.

I haven't mined PPS on DB in months.  But I do still mine proportional there when the luck is good.  Like today.
Sam
I do not care how obvious it was for you to find it among the various comment on this forum, (are you serious ?)

I am not personally feeling mislead, I'm just pointing out that The information provided on the main page is intentionally misleading and it is obvious a large part of DB miners don't know about it.

Ps: There is no way to tell when luck will be good...(are you serious ?)  F... why even bother ..

If people telling the truth is misleading to you then you need to go back on your meds.

And you can tell what the luck is, albeit after the fact, it is a gamble on weather it trends up or down and I understand that you can't tell what the luck (I really don't like that term) is going to be from one round to the next.  But today it was pretty good on Deepbit and Ozco.

I'm going back into my timeout corner now. Smiley
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 02:25:05 AM

Sam

If you are good, we can have popcorn later!  Grin (And eat it while reading threads filled with people arguing about which BIP is best!)

I don't want to read anything that isn't unreadibly bolded.
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 02:27:45 AM

Solution to the 10% PPS. Mine proportional, it's what I have always done.

I have switched back to Deepbit because I don't think BIP 16 and 17 are ready for the real world bitcoin network.

What is mildly depressing is that I looked at the advanced settings and apparently I have found 1 block. I only received 6BTC as payments since that's all I earned proportionally at Deepbit while I was there before. I was extremely lucky but it looks like that luck went to the users and operators of the pool. If I were to attempt to solo mine now it would be months before I found a block. Sigh.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 02:29:21 AM

Sam

If you are good, we can have popcorn later!  Grin (And eat it while reading threads filled with people arguing about which BIP is best!)

I don't want to read anything that isn't unreadibly bolded.

That's it. You're going to bed without your bacon wrapped hotdog.

I'd rather die.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 02:40:14 AM

Solution to the 10% PPS. Mine proportional, it's what I have always done.

I have switched back to Deepbit because I don't think BIP 16 and 17 are ready for the real world bitcoin network.

What is mildly depressing is that I looked at the advanced settings and apparently I have found 1 block. I only received 6BTC as payments since that's all I earned proportionally at Deepbit while I was there before. I was extremely lucky but it looks like that luck went to the users and operators of the pool. If I were to attempt to solo mine now it would be months before I found a block. Sigh.

One of the other mildly depressing things is looking at the alternatives.  Some other pools charge 7% and then progressively to zero.  Proportional is lower, but then you have other factors like the reward system and size of pool.  I popped over to Eclipse and their current block was up to 14 hours (6 million shares), and that's one of the larger 2nd tier pools.  Even smaller pools have even more (in my opinion) stupid rules or features. 

Evaluating a pool takes different factors into account.  For me (and just me), it has good stability, availability, discourages large hopping rip-offs through hash stability, moderate fee (they take 0.001 coins per block from me).  For others, those might not be good characteristics.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 04:11:02 PM

I'd wager that the vast, vast majority of deepbit users are NOT doing PPS.  And when stales and invalid blocks are counted for the non-PPS model, the actual deepbit fee is closer to 1 or 1.5%, a fee which I am happy to pay for a service without complications that never goes dark.

How many invalid blocks had Deepbit had in the last 1000?  1? 5?  Invalid blocks shouldn't be more than 0.2% of total for a properly running pool.  With good pool server, LP, and proper miner stales are <0.3%. 

So you are paying 3% for 0.5% in cost.  If you like Deepbit and like a centralized Bitcoin that is fine.  It is a free network you can do as you please but don't try to rationalize it.  You are paying 2.5%+ for the privilege to centralize the network and add a point of failure.  When you include the fact that Deepbit doesn't pay transaction fees or merged mining it is >3.5%.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 04:25:17 PM

I'd wager that the vast, vast majority of deepbit users are NOT doing PPS.  And when stales and invalid blocks are counted for the non-PPS model, the actual deepbit fee is closer to 1 or 1.5%, a fee which I am happy to pay for a service without complications that never goes dark.

How many invalid blocks had Deepbit had in the last 1000?  1? 5?  Invalid blocks shouldn't be more than 0.2% of total for a properly running pool.  With good pool server, LP, and proper miner stales are <0.3%. 

So you are paying 3% for 0.5% in cost.  If you like Deepbit and like a centralized Bitcoin that is fine.  It is a free network you can do as you please but don't try to rationalize it.  You are paying 2.5%+ for the privilege to centralize the network and add a point of failure.  When you include the fact that Deepbit doesn't pay transaction fees or merged mining it is >3.5%.
You sir, bring up some good points.   Wink
cheat_2_win

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 04:54:30 PM

Using an usual pool instead of the P2Pool is like being fan of banks instead of Bitcoin.
You are hitting your foots Roll Eyes

I might not have understood what you meant. But recently I moved from Deepbit to P2pool with just a little bit of hassle. It was fun and now I am in control. It feels really good now.

It seems more people have joined P2pool. The hash rate has gone up to ~157 GH/s from ~150 GH/s from couple of days ago.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 05:48:25 AM

-Snip-

How long do you let P2Pool run? Shares that count on P2Pool are much more difficult than normal shares you are used to. It takes a while to get one with a low hash rate. Also, it will accept lower difficulty shares that won't count for the purpose of monitoring your hardware.

I don't know anything about AVprog but I wouldn't doubt it. Most of that crap is worse than an actual virus.

Edit: Have you read the entire P2Pool thread? I think that will help out with your understanding (maybe). The new thread isn't that long and has some useful information.
I've been through it, alot, lol.
Had the P2Pool window running for about 25-35mins, Then i aimed CG at it, Let it run for only about 10mins.... Im sucha Goat when it comes to getting Spooked by things xD.

Are you talking about some form of minishare/datapacket to keep track of things?, Or are you saying that some shares are so small that i do not see them being accounted for(nay)

The main thing that bothered me was that i wasnt Getting any work to Work on..
Low work, I expect.
One PEICE of work per 2mins... That cant be right.... That leaves me with 1min59secs of wasted hashing time...

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2012, 12:41:08 PM

-Snip-

How long do you let P2Pool run? Shares that count on P2Pool are much more difficult than normal shares you are used to. It takes a while to get one with a low hash rate. Also, it will accept lower difficulty shares that won't count for the purpose of monitoring your hardware.

I don't know anything about AVprog but I wouldn't doubt it. Most of that crap is worse than an actual virus.

Edit: Have you read the entire P2Pool thread? I think that will help out with your understanding (maybe). The new thread isn't that long and has some useful information.
I've been through it, alot, lol.
Had the P2Pool window running for about 25-35mins, Then i aimed CG at it, Let it run for only about 10mins.... Im sucha Goat when it comes to getting Spooked by things xD.

Are you talking about some form of minishare/datapacket to keep track of things?, Or are you saying that some shares are so small that i do not see them being accounted for(nay)

The main thing that bothered me was that i wasnt Getting any work to Work on..
Low work, I expect.
One PEICE of work per 2mins... That cant be right.... That leaves me with 1min59secs of wasted hashing time...

Just let it run for some time. No "hashing time" is wasted. Here you work in your own pockets !  Wink

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 12:44:56 PM

I don't see anything wrong, i too use cgminer.
Remember that share difficulty in p2pool is now 355 so that mean that on average for every 355 normal shares, you get only 1 on p2pool. And that's fine.

When you find a good share you will see

"Recent : 0.00% >0H/s Shares: 1 (0 orphan, 0 dead) Peers :10"

and so on. Sure, it can happen a orphan share too, not too hard since pool stale rate is 9% but it's different from stale in a normal pool!

cuz0882

Activity: 392

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 12:22:48 AM

Variance or pool uptime is not a good reason to pay 3% at deepbit. Just use backup pools for the downtime. If variance is a real concern then split miners up on different pools.
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 03:53:28 AM

I mine on Slush's simply because when I started mining, his was the first I saw.  So without any research or anything, I blindly jumped in and don't regret it at all.  I did try btcguild at one point, but it "felt" like I wasn't making as much, so I switched back (but still use btcguild as a backup since I have miners set up on there anyway).
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 03:41:49 PM

Over the past 9 months, I have test-mined at well over a dozen pools...many 'top-tier' and some not so much, but regardless of what they boast as being their strong suit, or what sets their specific pool apart from the rest, 99% of them end up on the FAIL list having been nothing but a waste of time and I find myself returning back to the first pool I ever mined at as well - BTCGuild (although Slush's pool is a close 2nd for very similar reasons as listed below).

Say what you will about fees (blah blah blah....) BTCGuild is worth every bitcent that it costs to mine there.

Why I like BTCGuild:
- Good Control Panel/Front End (just the right balance of eye candy and functionality).
- Top Notch Security Features (anyone here is welcome to have my control panel password because the ONLY thing you can do is mine for me....my funds are locked SOLID).
- Instant Payouts (no confirmation delays).
- ROCK SOLID performance (the best I have experienced in the community to date, although YMMV).
- Attentive and knowledgeable Pool OP.
- Constantly moving forward with both hardware and software upgrades.

Unfortunately the best things in life are not free and often more times than not, you always get what you pay for.

I bet the bulk of Deepbit's Russian/Eastern Euro Miners feel the same way about Tycho's pool Wink

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 07:55:12 PM

Yes but P2Pool is better in anything you said.

And is really free. Because YOU host p2pool. No need to waste money on servers

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 08:06:34 PM

Over the past 9 months, I have test-mined at well over a dozen pools...many 'top-tier' and some not so much, but regardless of what they boast as being their strong suit, or what sets their specific pool apart from the rest, 99% of them end up on the FAIL list having been nothing but a waste of time and I find myself returning back to the first pool I ever mined at as well - BTCGuild (although Slush's pool is a close 2nd for very similar reasons as listed below).

Say what you will about fees (blah blah blah....) BTCGuild is worth every bitcent that it costs to mine there.

Why I like BTCGuild:
- Good Control Panel/Front End (just the right balance of eye candy and functionality).
- Top Notch Security Features (anyone here is welcome to have my control panel password because the ONLY thing you can do is mine for me....my funds are locked SOLID).
- Instant Payouts (no confirmation delays).
- ROCK SOLID performance (the best I have experienced in the community to date, although YMMV).
- Attentive and knowledgeable Pool OP.
- Constantly moving forward with both hardware and software upgrades.

Unfortunately the best things in life are not free and often more times than not, you always get what you pay for.

I bet the bulk of Deepbit's Russian/Eastern Euro Miners feel the same way about Tycho's pool Wink
Do they have a 24h BTC mined counter yet?  That was one thing that bugged me big time when I tried using them... I love being able to see exactly how much BTC I have mined in the last 24 hours.

The other issue was that they went down numerous times while I was using them.  I'm sure they've used that time period as a lesson and have improved since then, but it turned me off for the time being.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 08:15:55 PM

Do they have a 24h BTC mined counter yet?  That was one thing that bugged me big time when I tried using them... I love being able to see exactly how much BTC I have mined in the last 24 hours.

BTC Guild has always had a 24 Hour Earnings counter since I have been mining there, even before they were PPS.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 09:27:40 PM

BTC Guild has always had a 24 Hour Earnings counter since I have been mining there, even before they were PPS.
Sam

It actually disappeared briefly when switching from Proportional to PPS.  But that only lasted a week I believe.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 11:45:11 PM

Ok, good to know.  Maybe I'll give them another try down the road.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: