Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:13:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any newbie friendly bitcoin buying sites yet?  (Read 2233 times)
Hunterbunter (OP)

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 02:25:33 PM

As the title asks,

are there any good, trustworthy fiat->bitcoin currency websites that complete newbies can use yet?

What are the obstacles? merchant facilities won't let people use credit cards for bitcoins? not talking paypal, just normal cc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2012, 02:54:02 PM

Using BitInstant.com you can walk into any bank, CitiBank, Chase, Wells Fargo, and Bank of America, deposit CASH and within 30 minutes be instantly credited on your MtGox.com, TradeHill.com, CryptoXChange.com, or VirWox.com exchange account. You have 4 banks with over 10,000 branches in the USA and 4 different exchanges to choose from.

Does it get any simpler than that my brother?  Cheesy

We even have a helpful guide: https://www.bitinstant.com/howitworks

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
January 26, 2012, 03:18:02 PM

Accepting credit cards exposes you to chargeback fraud.  It's the same problem as PayPal.  A few places will accept cards in person like Memory Dealers, but if you did it online you'll be scammed to death.

That's why all the exchanges use irrevocable funds of one kind or another - ACH, wire transfers, cash deposits, etc.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2012, 03:19:58 PM

This is very location specific, and you haven't specified your location. In US there are some good options. You could use bitinstant to facilitate the deposit as Yankee suggests. I think tradehill is a bit more newbie-friendly than mtgox but both can work.

If I may say so myself, in Israel it's fairly easy to buy bitcoins, too.

Credit cards are very problematic, but I don't think it has been proven conclusively that you can't make them work by taking the right precautions.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
yossarian

Activity: 492

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 05:19:18 PM

If you wanna get your hands on some BTC in Europe, check out https://www.bitcoinmarket24.com The site offers instant BTC transfers for SEPA wires.

I'm always buying and selling BTC, PM me for details. Rating and GPG-key: http://is.gd/yossarian

Buy and sell BTC via SEPA: https://www.bitcoin.de/r/nrnxg6

Bitmessage: BM-2DAoXPtLdQEnR2iSneCTjpgRPtzXsSAi1m
Hunterbunter (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 11:55:58 PM

oic, thanks for the replies. I'm not asking for myself, since I get them via dd/gox, so the question was more in line of "people who cbf doing the deposit thing, and just want btc in a fairly short timeframe". While bitinstant is fast, it isn't convenient at 2am, for example.

Going the deposit way is a bit archaic, I guess I was specifically asking about online transactions via CC.

Accepting credit cards exposes you to chargeback fraud.  It's the same problem as PayPal.  A few places will accept cards in person like Memory Dealers, but if you did it online you'll be scammed to death.

That's why all the exchanges use irrevocable funds of one kind or another - ACH, wire transfers, cash deposits, etc.

This is interesting, and more in line with my question. Wouldn't this be a problem for *all* online stores that accept CCs, though? I imagine chargebacks happen quite frequently...so CC companies treat constant chargebackers as suspicious...but what can any company do if a $3000 item is ordered online via CC and chargebacked? Proof of sale and shipping doesn't mean anything since the CC could have been stolen.

There's no real quick way to check non-anonymous credentials is there?
Revalin

Activity: 728

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 02:38:29 AM

Wouldn't this be a problem for *all* online stores that accept CCs, though?

It is, but it's especially a problem for selling Bitcoins because they are highly liquid, fungible and can be moved quickly.  With a credit card you found on the sidewalk you could buy coins, take delivery and sell them on a market before the card's owner gets home.  If using your own card there's very little paper trail that the goods were delivered.  By comparison buying a laptop is much slower and requires exposing a shipping address.

Further, selling currency is a very thin-margin business, so losing a few percent to credit card fees hurts and every chargeback hurts a lot, whereas selling physical goods has much better margins.  Some people sell coins on eBay with a significant markup so perhaps it's workable at some price, but most buyers want to pay closer to market rate.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Hunterbunter (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 04:10:06 AM

Wouldn't this be a problem for *all* online stores that accept CCs, though?

It is, but it's especially a problem for selling Bitcoins because they are highly liquid, fungible and can be moved quickly.  With a credit card you found on the sidewalk you could buy coins, take delivery and sell them on a market before the card's owner gets home.  If using your own card there's very little paper trail that the goods were delivered.  By comparison buying a laptop is much slower and requires exposing a shipping address.

Yeah so having no shipping address at all makes it harder for both the retailer and cc company to track down a thief. I wonder if some sort of primary validation (eg mt.gox scan and send your personal details if you want more than $1k/day, although identity theft = easy?), plus a purchase validation (sms/yubikey) could help protect against someone stealing your card to purchase with it. I guess it would be hard to convince a newbie to submit personal details aka drivers license to strangers, though. This could be a fundamental problem.

Further, selling currency is a very thin-margin business, so losing a few percent to credit card fees hurts and every chargeback hurts a lot, whereas selling physical goods has much better margins.  Some people sell coins on eBay with a significant markup so perhaps it's workable at some price, but most buyers want to pay closer to market rate.

I imagine this would be a case of "charge what you need for a profit" and see if you make a profit. I'm also suggesting this usage for people who are more interested in casual impulse buying.
Stn

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 05:26:24 AM

usage for people who are more interested in casual impulse buying.
www.centraw.com/?page=express is exactly for this case
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 04:43:15 PM

You also have.

www.dialcoin.com

Very easy to use.

A bit expensive but if you are only buying one or two.

Havn´t tried it though.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
zer0

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 05:03:25 PM

Are there any UK fixed rate sites? I know of Intersango and exchanges.. who does bank deposit or cash in UK?
Hunterbunter (OP)

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 11:08:08 PM

usage for people who are more interested in casual impulse buying.
www.centraw.com/?page=express is exactly for this case

You also have www.dialcoin.com

Very easy to use.

Interesting, those two are what I was asking about. First one uses heavy fees and it seems is a mini-exchange (not sure who takes the burden of risk there, whether bitcoin seller or site), and the other charges your phone bill...good ideas.

gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 11:09:33 PM

newbie friendly = exspensive

..mostly
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: