Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:10:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Starfish BCB - Loans and Deposits  (Read 60451 times)
PatrickHarnett (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2012, 11:32:02 PM

I think I should respond, but not sure how best to.  I'm sure WifeofStarfish will let me know when she gets to your post.

I am not 100% sure what is going to happen this week, let alone next month.  I am holding things stable, and reserving a small quantity of coins for transactions, and have invested in some short-term opportunities too.  I have taken a couple of new/small deposit accounts, and have had offers for some quite large transactions, but buying up BS&T debt, while lucrative, is not in the mandate of the deposit account funds.  Similarly, I have chosen not to swap BS&T debt for Starfish deposits as that also doesn't fit with the self imposed rules.

Most of the deposited coins are out actively working to cover the 1%/week that I pay, so it's not like there is 20k BTC sitting on a web site to be hacked.  Also, while some people consider the total funds under management to be a lot (approximately  51,981.5BTC), it's not really and some of that is likely to wind out over the next couple of weeks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 01:01:54 AM

I think I should respond, but not sure how best to.  I'm sure WifeofStarfish will let me know when she gets to your post.
Lol  Smiley It's just a vote of confidence. Unless you were responding to
Investors beware that every major loss in the history of Bitcoin has involved someone else holding others' coins.
with
it's not like there is 20k BTC sitting on a web site to be hacked.
In which case I'd say that the biggest risk to my coins with you is you defaulting on them, not you getting hacked.
WifeOfStarfish

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:52:13 AM

Let's just say I think Starfish BCB is doing a great job (and also that this photo summarises the character of the man I married more eloquently than any words could do...

https://i.imgur.com/3JaDR.jpg
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:54:02 AM

wtf - that's not me
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 04:16:28 PM

Must be an imposter! Get him!
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 08:01:18 PM

Updated balance list at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61262.msg981017#msg981017

20,051 in deposits.
Trance104

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 03:32:42 AM

Are we still allowed to send you deposits up to 100 BTC? Or is that on hold?  Smiley
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 04:50:22 AM
Last edit: August 24, 2012, 06:42:17 AM by PatrickHarnett

Are we still allowed to send you deposits up to 100 BTC? Or is that on hold?  Smiley

I think that will be ok.  I wanted to slow things down a bit while the BS&T process was rumbling through and until the lending/securities/debt markets were in a high degree of turmoil.  

Over the past week or so I've paid out somewhere around 9000 coins, but received many less so I do have one withdrawal request partly paid and recalling a loan to cover the difference (and I have advised the customer of this).  Just means things are a little more interesting than usual.

Edit: Partial withdrawal fulfilled - had an early repayment.
Trance104

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 04:58:53 AM

Sounds really exciting. I'll continue to send coins in. I actually have a goal of hitting 100 coins with you. I'm working towards it  Grin

About half-way there-ish it seems!!!  Grin Grin Grin
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 12:48:04 PM

Let's just say I think Starfish BCB is doing a great job (and also that this photo summarises the character of the man I married more eloquently than any words could do...

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 08:43:11 AM

Going slightly back on topic, I am looking at restarting new accounts and deposits for the non-BS&T business that is occurring, and adding some liquidity back into the lending section.  Without quite knowing what the demand is, I'll see what materialises in the inbox.
warmach

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2012, 11:45:15 PM

I added 5.5 more to my deposit...
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 03:52:40 AM

I added 5.5 more to my deposit...

Thanks - added.
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 09:12:03 PM

Updated balance list at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61262.msg981017#msg981017

Total on deposit 20503.  At the request of/and as a favour to three users, this includes 4173 tied up in BS&T.
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2012, 09:26:47 PM

Ahhhhh,,, Nice pic Cheesy

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 09:29:35 PM

Total on deposit 20503.  At the request of/and as a favour to three users, this includes 4173 tied up in BS&T.

Very comforting (and not surprising to me atleast) to see your exposure to BS&T is on the low end % of your totals. Hope all works out well there.

In the mean time, business continues.

If it helps in your demand assessment, I will likely be requesting a 75-125BTC loan some time here in the next few days. I'll have my books closed out by Sunday at the latest, so will know by then. Also, need to catch up on what your current rates are, etc.

Cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:04:46 PM

Very comforting (and not surprising to me atleast) to see your exposure to BS&T is on the low end % of your totals. Hope all works out well there.

Cheers

While deposits are not exposed to BS&T, being backed by a mixture of long-term investments, assets and stocks on GLBSE, I do have a personal account with BS&T and that is no secret.  I also have the wind out of the PPT.x series of bonds to take care of and that is making life more complicated this week as I have been honouring the commitments I have there and that has sucked a lot of my spare coins.  I also consider my decision to restrict deposits over the past two weeks was the correct one to take, although that makes things tighter than I would have liked.

I was asked directly today if I could provide a maximum pay-back time for deposits.  As mentioned above, some of the backing is in the form of loans and these are various terms, some running monthly, some three months and I have some that run six months.  Those are no able to be recalled on a moment's notice.  The other important issue is that the liquidity in GLBSE is quite limited even for good quality stocks.  Little buy interest means it is difficult to sell a large position and I notice DeadTerra was having this issue recently too. 

To date meeting withdrawal requests has still been achieved reasonably quickly (basically within a day).  If I was to receive a request for 2k from one of my largest depositors, I do not see a good reason why that would or could extend beyond a couple of weeks allowing me to sensibly move or liquidate some assets.  If everyone asked for their funds back (16k), that would take a lot longer.
PatrickHarnett (OP)

View Profile
August 30, 2012, 10:51:03 PM

Just on liquidity - because I was asked about this while processing a withdrawal just now, here's a summary of the last two weeks:

22 deposits for 1624BTC
21 withdrawals for 4053BTC
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2012, 12:45:57 PM

To date meeting withdrawal requests has still been achieved reasonably quickly (basically within a day).  If I was to receive a request for 2k from one of my largest depositors, I do not see a good reason why that would or could extend beyond a couple of weeks allowing me to sensibly move or liquidate some assets.  If everyone asked for their funds back (16k), that would take a lot longer.

Can you give a specific upper bound?
What if you received a withdraw request from everyone, today?

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
August 31, 2012, 04:08:04 PM

I sent a PM to Patrick on August 30, 2012, 04:52:17 PM asking to withdraw 105 BTC, and received a reply on August 30, 2012, 05:10:49 PM saying "Done".  With a smiley face too!

Thanks for the great service Patrick.  Smiley

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: