Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:29:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Federal reserve banker calls bitcoin small potato!  (Read 3076 times)
15Peter20

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:00:18 PM

It might be a small potatoe currently, but I bet there's going to be a time when he regrets that comparison.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:13:16 PM

3) Its intrinsic value is 0 - Bitcoin is intrinsically useful because it holds great value for humankind.

Please describe the intrinsic value of Bitcoin.

Some might say, that the bible hold great value for humankind others might disagree

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Brooker

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:14:36 PM

I hope one day the Fed becomes a small potato and this guy a small fry  Cheesy
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 12:52:39 PM

Some might say, that the bible hold great value for humankind others might disagree

Money has great inherent value because it communicates ideas and assets more efficiently than a barter system which is an inherently very useful tool for mankind. Goldbugs will often praise gold as having "inherent value" because you can melt it down and create gold fillings and use it in semiconductors if needed but what they fail to clarify is that this value represents only a couple hundred for its utility and most of it is perceived value because its history and rarity.

bitcoin just like a dollar bill has no intrinsic value in a vacuum. What gives USD value is the trust of billions of people, acceptance of millions of merchants, store of value, its scarcity, its divisibility, security, frictionless utility, stability, and its fungibility.

What gives Bitcoin value is many of the same principles of fiat-
1) Fungibility - Bitcoin is equal to Fiat, better than gold
2) Divisibility - Much better than fiat and gold
3) Scarcity - Much better than Fiat and gold (One could find a new gold mine here or on an asteroid)
4) Trust of userbase - Fiat and Gold are much better than Bitcoin here
5) frictionless utility - Bitcoin is better than Fiat , and much better than gold
6) Security - Bitcoin is better than Fiat for technical people, worse for luddites (for now) and better than gold
7) Merchant acceptance - Bitcoin is far better than gold , and worse than USD fiat worldwide, but better than many other smaller fiat currencies worldwide at the moment.
08) stability - gold is slightly better than bitcoin , USD/Euro Fiat is much more stable than bitcoin
09) Store of value - Too early to tell, but Bitcoin thus far has been a better much better investment than  gold and the USD. I.E... USD has lost 99.9997% n value against Bitcoin in the last 5 years and 98.9% in te last 2 years.

turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:27:45 PM

Money has great inherent value because it communicates ideas and assets more efficiently than a barter system which is an inherently very useful tool for mankind. Goldbugs will often praise gold as having "inherent value" because you can melt it down and create gold fillings and use it in semiconductors if needed but what they fail to clarify is that this value represents only a couple hundred for its utility and most of it is perceived value because its history and rarity.

bitcoin just like a dollar bill has no intrinsic value in a vacuum. What gives USD value is the trust of billions of people, acceptance of millions of merchants, store of value, its scarcity, its divisibility, security, frictionless utility, stability, and its fungibility.

What gives Bitcoin value is many of the same principles of fiat-
1) Fungibility - Bitcoin is equal to Fiat, better than gold
2) Divisibility - Much better than fiat and gold
3) Scarcity - Much better than Fiat and gold (One could find a new gold mine here or on an asteroid)
4) Trust of userbase - Fiat and Gold are much better than Bitcoin here
5) frictionless utility - Bitcoin is better than Fiat , and much better than gold
6) Security - Bitcoin is better than Fiat for technical people, worse for luddites (for now) and better than gold
7) Merchant acceptance - Bitcoin is far better than gold , and worse than USD fiat worldwide, but better than many other smaller fiat currencies worldwide at the moment.
08) stability - gold is slightly better than bitcoin , USD/Euro Fiat is much more stable than bitcoin
09) Store of value - Too early to tell, but Bitcoin thus far has been a better much better investment than  gold and the USD. I.E... USD has lost 99.9997% n value against Bitcoin in the last 5 years and 98.9% in te last 2 years.

So, the intrinsic value of USD can not be 0, since the intrinsic value of BTC is >0 and the intrinsic value of BTC in different fields is a Multiplier of the USD-value. 0*10 is still Zero.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:57:01 PM

So, the intrinsic value of USD can not be 0, since the intrinsic value of BTC is >0 and the intrinsic value of BTC in different fields is a Multiplier of the USD-value. 0*10 is still Zero.

Certainly, The intrinsic value of USD is what the market indicates due to the utility and value it provides as an ecosystem. The value of anything is 0 outside of such ecosystem and environment.  What remains to be seen is if Bitcoin has a greater value than USD for the greater population. So far Bitcoin has a great track record but has plenty of areas for improvement. 

cuddaloreappu (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:43:09 PM

just went to KFC and had some chicken and potato French fries...so nice...wish KFC accepted bitcoins...
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:55:15 PM

Have you guys seen this one yet? It's a great one to add to your bitvids collection to share. It's one of the clearest, most concise, neutral explanations without the inevitable information overload that comes with a lot of explanations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isXPnNPlwE0

I've been reading these forums for about a month now and copying links, snippets, great posts, one liners - all to make up my own little bitcoin info guide which will help me be able to explain things better, faster, more concise than the long winded thing that makes their eyes explode...but one thing I can say about this forum and the comments is that the overall sentiment seems to be that we all bend over backwards to educate and inform the masses and who cares what the FED thinks, fuck those guys, let 'em fall.  Grin

There are a few who think it's a good idea to also educate the lawmakers and while I don't disagree with that, since it'll make mass adoption go smoothly, I can't help find myself in the other category with most people who'd just as soon watch every corrupt politician and greedy banker and ever FED member go from wealthy elite to impoverished and on the street overnight...getting what they deserve.

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 02:58:10 PM

just went to KFC and had some chicken and potato French fries...so nice...wish KFC accepted bitcoins...

If you missed the thread about getting local merchants on board, definitely check it out

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=616864.0

This is great and they're giving out the mag for free since clearly they've made their money/profits on the advertising within. I love this and am officially on board championing and suggesting it to everyone - get a few copies and take them around to local merchants. The more they know, the faster they get on board too.

...back to regularly scheduled thread topic

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 03:04:59 PM

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 03:21:21 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2014, 03:34:13 PM by aztecminer

St. Louis Fed Economist David Andolfatto briefly explains some of the benefits and drawbacks to virtual currency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkm70CER8R0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYblxnGKb0

eventually the us citizens will be holding a worthless currency due to all the federal reserves printing .
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:53:13 PM

Certainly, The intrinsic value of USD is what the market indicates due to the utility and value it provides as an ecosystem. The value of anything is 0 outside of such ecosystem and environment.  What remains to be seen is if Bitcoin has a greater value than USD for the greater population. So far Bitcoin has a great track record but has plenty of areas for improvement. 

The value of the US dollar is the value of the US economy as that is what it is "backed" by.
Catmoonglow

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:14:46 PM

Regarding volatility I like what Andreas says—Bitcoin's marketcap is currently around 5.5bil. This is at best a small nation.
Catmoonglow

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:16:10 PM

Think of it like a small kiddie pool—there just isn't much liquidity.
Whenever a large player makes a move it sloshes noticeably across the pool. As the marketcap/size grows so will the liquidity pool which will cause the volatility to go down.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:32:22 PM

"Targeting 2% depreciation in the purchasing power of our currency"

He couldn't even say this without laughing.  What a joke!!

*Also, what's the deal with the "coke sniffles" that kick in around 1:35 of the second video?! :p

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: