Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:12:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ISP's meddling with bitcoin protocol?  (Read 4230 times)
mechew (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2014, 05:45:52 PM

I'm just throwing this out there because I'm starting to dig into my issues.

I've complained a few times about how irregular confirmations are and I'm starting to troubleshoot to identify the issue and one thing I noticed is when I'm connected to my vpn, which routes my internet through it, my transactions are almost instant.  When I disable and its just home internet, Comcast, my transactions are sporadic and can some times take over 1 hour. 

Last night I had 5 that took way too long which prompted the curiosity into my ISP.

I'm not a bitcoin expert but I know its similar to bittorrent and I remember reading about Comcast being one of the ISP's that were messing with bittorrent to throttle it which prompted the net neutrality argument.

Now my bittorrents don't seem to be slow but their transfer speed is far from my max no matter what torrent I select or how many seeds.

Anyone else notice anything?
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:39:24 AM

I've complained a few times about how irregular confirmations are and I'm starting to troubleshoot to identify the issue and one thing I noticed is when I'm connected to my vpn, which routes my internet through it, my transactions are almost instant.  When I disable and its just home internet, Comcast, my transactions are sporadic and can some times take over 1 hour.

Once the network sees your transaction, your internet connection has nothing to do with how quickly your transactions get confirmed.  Any anecdotal evidence you think you've seen to the contrary is due to selective memory and normal variations in a small sample size.

I'm not a bitcoin expert but I know its similar to bittorrent

Other than the fact that communication is peer-to-peer, there is very little else that bitTorrent and Bitcoin have in common.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:47:14 AM

Also distributed storage.  Although bitcoin's is more redundant than distributed .

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3200

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:54:03 AM

Once the network sees your transaction, your internet connection has nothing to do with how quickly your transactions get confirmed.  Any anecdotal evidence you think you've seen to the contrary is due to selective memory and normal variations in a small sample size.

In other words, the first confirmation of a transaction takes an average of 10 minutes regardless of your connection speed. The actual time can vary between a few seconds to an hour.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
KyrosKrane

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 06:04:18 AM

I'm not a bitcoin expert but I know its similar to bittorrent

Other than the fact that communication is peer-to-peer, there is very little else that bitTorrent and Bitcoin have in common.
That's not an insignificant concern, though. A lot of ISPs still have a knee-jerk "p2p is bad" reaction, whether due to ignorance or pressure from the copyright industries. I remember reading a story about an ISP that explicitly banned all p2p apps on their network; and a surprising number of hosting providers ban p2p as well, which can impact publicly hosted nodes.  There were also cases where an ISP would effectively commit a man-in-the-middle attack against http traffic to insert their own advertising into a Web page; I vaguely remember that it worked against https as well, due to the ISP's installer putting their own certificates into the client's trusted list. So there's a history of having to deal with hostile ISPs.

It might be worth exploring the ways that a hostile ISP could interfere with or block bitcoin data, both at a network level (blocking p2p, slowing it down) and at a data level (modifying the actual data being transmitted), and how the protocol and the reference client handle (or should handle) such attacks.

Tips and donations: 1KyrosREGDkNLp1rMd9wfVwfkXYHTd6j5U  |  BTC P2Pool node: p2pool.kyros.info:9332
e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 07:27:07 AM

This is actually sort of a (big?) deal to me, potentially, as my ISP limits my P2P traffic to 0.5KB/s - 1.5KB/s.

Now I know that this is probably actually still fast enough to upload a transaction, but what it says to me is that an ISP could, if ordered to, block P2P traffic, right?

Of course I bought VPN subscription so that I can download P2P at my full bandwidth of 38Mb/s Wink

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 09:28:50 AM
Last edit: May 18, 2014, 02:57:05 PM by piotr_n

that may make sense.
if ISP had set a throttle on a "p2p traffic" and they would measure bitcoin as such, having a torrent node running could have basically consume all the p2p limit, thus living far less for bitcoin than you actually think it has.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
bassguitarman

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 11:55:53 PM

It's scary to think about this..  Internet providers could essentially kill anything they view as a threat.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 01:12:36 AM

To my knowledge ISPs have not messed with Bitcoin at this time but it is a possibility Comcast is not one of the best companies out there if you know how hard it is for cities to get municipal wire aka local internet installed in their cities, also Comcast does keep IP logs for 180 days so they do sniff their traffic anyways it piqued my curiosity tell me how it goes
https://torrentfreak.com/how-long-does-your-isp-store-ip-address-logs-120629/

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 04:37:13 PM

Bitcoinqt can clog up your bandwidth.

I know that my gaming servers ping goes from 300ms to 29ms after I close bitcoinqt

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
johnatan32

Activity: 45

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:04:08 PM

I noticed a problem similar to that
n2nshad0w

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

HashHard

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2014, 11:45:40 AM

I know that my gaming servers ping goes from 300ms to 29ms after I close bitcoinqt

I've also has this issue.  So the question is am I using that much bandwidth, or is my ISP throttling me?

tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:09:06 AM

Bitcoin core may suck all available bandwidth if you run it over a router connected to an ISP over DSL, which typically has a decent download speed but a pathetic upload speed.  Things may run fine for several days, but sooner or later one or more newbies will start downloading the 20 GB blockchain through your computer. At this point if you have a typical home router that allocates available bandwidth in a dumb way your Internet connection will be hosed. 

A simple solution is to limit the upload bandwidth that bitcoin core can get.  Since bitcoin-core does not provide any control for this (unlike most bittorrent clients) you will have to use some other method of limiting its access. I found that my router (leased from my ISP) provided some quality of service feature that would allow me to limit the bandwidth of each of my computers by putting their uploads into separate queues, but this didn't help the problem for me because I was running bitcoin core and other software on the same machine (a Windows 7 system).

I fixed my problem by using the Windows Group Policy Manager and adding a rule to limit the upload bandwidth used by bitcoind.exe.  This got the job done.  I set it to about 50% of my available upload bandwidth, which is more than enough to keep up with new transactions and new blocks, while still allowing people to download old blocks, albeit at a slow rate.  Now web browsing is unaffected by running the bitcoin node on the same computer. I also have another computer that controls some miners.  This machine was getting a lot of stales until I solved my congestion problem.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 01:21:31 PM

an ISP over DSL, which typically has a decent download speed but a pathetic upload speed. 

why is that?  that always pissed me off.   

isidore

Activity: 25

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:43:32 AM

an ISP over DSL, which typically has a decent download speed but a pathetic upload speed. 

why is that?  that always pissed me off.   

Just the way that it was designed. They had to split the freq spectrum between download and upload. Since high download speeds sell better they portioned a greater amount to it.
isidore

Activity: 25

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:59:44 AM

I've also has this issue.  So the question is am I using that much bandwidth, or is my ISP throttling me?

This affected me during initial sync only. Do you experience it after your initial sync?
Sonicprince

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2014, 11:57:31 AM

This affected me during initial sync only. Do you experience it after your initial sync?

Not unusual for the QT client to upload up to 700MB of data a day for me, I would expect this to be dependent on your ISP, and the number of other clients on that network.
freedombit

Activity: 274

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:37:19 AM

It's scary to think about this..  Internet providers could essentially kill anything they view as a threat.

Yes. What ever happened to mesh networks?

Also, Internet via electricity conduits. I recall seeing something like this. I think it was called freedombox, and being sold in the middle east to provide homes with access to the Internet via the electricity grid. Similar thinking to crypto currency - no central authority, so it couldn't be easily regulated.

Sonicprince

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2014, 05:08:28 PM

Hi freedombit

Also, Internet via electricity conduits. I recall seeing something like this. I think it was called freedombox, and being sold in the middle east to provide homes with access to the Internet via the electricity grid. Similar thinking to crypto currency - no central authority, so it couldn't be easily regulated.

Problem with internet (any network) via the electricity grid is the attenuation with every spike arrestor, connection, transformer, meter box etc, even if you bypass transformers and other barriers your talking about a lot of money/time and effort when it's cheaper just to run a new cable that's meant for data networks, or use whats already there for coms, like telephone cable.

no central authority, so it couldn't be easily regulated.

you also require some form of agreement between hosts so they can talk to each other, routing tables, owner information, DNS etc.
No reason it cant be 'self regulated' but thats another topic Smiley
freedombit

Activity: 274

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:40:02 AM

Hi freedombit

Problem with internet (any network) via the electricity grid is the attenuation with every spike arrestor, connection, transformer, meter box etc, even if you bypass transformers and other barriers your talking about a lot of money/time and effort when it's cheaper just to run a new cable that's meant for data networks, or use whats already there for coms, like telephone cable.

no central authority, so it couldn't be easily regulated.

you also require some form of agreement between hosts so they can talk to each other, routing tables, owner information, DNS etc.
No reason it cant be 'self regulated' but thats another topic Smiley

Maybe some wireless mesh then. And yes, I agree that there would need to be some sort of voluntary regulation amongst users.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: