Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:38:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Something's got to give in the next few days  (Read 4044 times)
Unluckyduck

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:11:33 AM

No-one is gonna shift in the next few days but perhaps in the coming weeks we'll see some movement. The stability has been kinda nice though.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 05:16:45 AM

Those who believe TA is bogus probably believe fundamentals determine price. But how can one believe that fundamentals determine price and yet price does not reflect fundamentals? TA is a legit perspective of fundamentals. Furthermore price/time alongside simple laws of economics is in fact a wave system that can be described by science.

TA is not "bogus", but it is commonly over-rated by users, imo. The most useful signals are sometimes the ones that are "false", since you can get good traders caught by surprise and a huge move in the other direction.

Exactly. Very easy to draw lines on a chart that seem to work until they don't. If you can get the majority of market players to believe in a TA setup then you do the opposite.

segeln

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 06:19:28 AM

Those who believe TA is bogus probably believe fundamentals determine price. But how can one believe that fundamentals determine price and yet price does not reflect fundamentals? TA is a legit perspective of fundamentals. Furthermore price/time alongside simple laws of economics is in fact a wave system that can be described by science.
+1
Pepin

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 09:40:10 AM

Uh-oh! Price fluctuations are reaching a singularity! Based on the quantum economic theory, within days we will see prices ranging from $0.01 to $1,000,000,000.... EVERY SECOND!
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 10:47:23 AM

No-one is gonna shift in the next few days but perhaps in the coming weeks we'll see some movement. The stability has been kinda nice though.

Actually looking back at the previous trends, every time the price has stabilized it was immediatly followed by a large spike in price.

Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:48:07 AM

Looking at BTC-e there are a few big buy/sell walls around this price.
Assuming these are real walls some whales are trying to force bitcoin into a narrow price band to make money on small fluctuations.

The sell wall is BTC238 @ $441 and the buy wall is BTC62 @ $439.3

In my opinion it will have to break in the oncoming days. Since I believe bitcoin wants to go up it will take some days to eat away those BTC238.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 11:53:36 AM

Assuming these are real walls some whales are trying to force bitcoin into a narrow price band to make money on small fluctuations.

In my opinion it will have to break in the oncoming days. Since I believe bitcoin wants to go up it will take some days to eat away those BTC238.

Really? Now your usual range trading with 100k is a whale wall somehow? That's not even a shark, just somebody making themselves some lunch money.

i am satoshi
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 12:47:34 PM

walls on btc-e can be deceptive because they hide the orderbook top and down of the price.
Wilhelm
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:50:31 PM

Really? Now your usual range trading with 100k is a whale wall somehow? That's not even a shark, just somebody making themselves some lunch money.

I don't really fully understand your comment.

Yes whales usually are bigger but with the current volume levels 238 BTC (100k) is a significant amount of money in my opinion.
Yes trading in such a small band will only earn you lunch money. But many little profits can amount to big profits.

Wilhelm
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 12:51:33 PM

walls on btc-e can be deceptive because they hide the orderbook top and down of the price.

True and sometimes walls have the tendency to vanish since they don't actually want to sell/buy :-)

tuneman1980

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Yeah, historical price volatility keeps dropping.  http://cryptocoinstats.com/volatilitytracker.php

http://cryptocoinstats.com/

BTC: 19YQqtEdtuWhT6nk6ArBgMTiKMEjoJ5eww  LTC: Li1RLpZm8Rx7txSnQdvZvtLMsd4XDN2vMJ  FTC: 6qAU4vtyf9LPW4yV4m4Vx1jm4ZkXJHTFP7
CoinRocka

Activity: 249

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:02:45 PM

The quicker bitcoin gets to a million dollars per, the better everyone will be   Grin
Wilhelm
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 01:10:55 PM

The quicker bitcoin gets to a million dollars per, the better everyone will be   Grin

True but I will be living in a nice house well before that day Cool

piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:09:52 PM

I understood that you are implying that some whale is manipulating the price into a narrow band with a 200 btc order Smiley Unless our definition of whale differs, this is just some guy trying to earn hundred dollars on what little volatility there is left. And of course, any real move by a whale whale would be in thousands of coins at once, instantly eating through this little "walls" on all exchanges.

i am satoshi
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 02:15:49 PM

Is it unethical to sell something that doesnt exist to someone who believes it exists? ...

Not at all.  Done on the securities forum all the time.
Wilhelm
Legendary

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 03:37:02 PM

I understood that you are implying that some whale is manipulating the price into a narrow band with a 200 btc order Smiley Unless our definition of whale differs, this is just some guy trying to earn hundred dollars on what little volatility there is left. And of course, any real move by a whale whale would be in thousands of coins at once, instantly eating through this little "walls" on all exchanges.

Yes you are correct our definition of whale is different.

Whale Definition:
In sales terminology, a whale is a prospect at least 10 times larger than your average sale.

Since the average sale in the current market is <1 BTC I find someone putting up a 200+ BTC wall a whale.

piramida
Legendary

Borsche

View Profile
May 18, 2014, 04:04:21 PM

Yes you are correct our definition of whale is different.

Whale Definition:
In sales terminology, a whale is a prospect at least 10 times larger than your average sale.

Since the average sale in the current market is <1 BTC I find someone putting up a 200+ BTC wall a whale.

Then mostly everybody here is a whale, nice Smiley But why you are using sales terminology, one thing is hunting a contract 10 times your average one, the other thing is trading commodity where 0.1 btc bots dominate the market. Any noticeable market moves at these price levels can be achieved starting from 2-3k BTC, anything below that is noise - call it whale noise if you like, does not change a fact that it is irrelevant

i am satoshi
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:28:45 AM

Questions

1. What's a wall and where is it? (Or, I guess how do you know what/where it is looking at any chart?)
2. I looked at bitcoinwisdom chart and see a white line downward and a tan line upward that theoretically will converge at some point. How do you read that and what do those lines/colors represent?
3. Re above, on the convergence point - is this what you mean also when you refer to the lines crossing? Is it based on the time frames from before, like reading by the months you calculate a timeframe for when they will cross and is why people think mid to late summer is when things get active either direction?
4. What happens if the lines don't intersect anytime soon and it just kind of flatlines?
5. Is it possible to just buy/sell (day trading wise) with 1 or 2 btc at a time or is day trading done with way way more funds as a rule?

Finally, the fun one:

6. let's say we all wake up tomorrow and nothing noteworthy has happened, no wars, storms, collapses...it's just a non eventful news day but the btc charts show the price has plummeted to $30 with a downward trend. How would you read that or react? Would something like a serious drop to less than $50 change your opinion on the overall worth and viability of bitcoin tech and as a currency?

Thanks  Cheesy

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 02:38:30 AM

This summer will be quiet.. but in the fall the action will begin Wink
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4505

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
May 19, 2014, 03:00:10 AM

Religious fanatics are hilarious!  Cheesy

Indeed. Especially those who follow the zany doctrines of religious leaders like Jimmy Jones, Ralph Nelson Elliott or Sun Myung Moon.

Totally hilarious.  Grin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: