Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:32:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crooks Will Render Mining Unprofitable  (Read 1546 times)
Zetler (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 06:07:55 AM

Isn't it just a matter of time before the cost of electricity becomes higher than the value of mined bitcoins?

In the short run, say next six months, the trend will be more professional data centers. These have economies of scale and cheap electricity. Obviously Average Joe will not make money anymore with his Antminer.

From 2015 I believe even the data centers will lose. People with free electricity will learn that mining generates a "free" income. Some have free electricity on their rental contracts. Others are illegally connected. There will even be some who deliberately mine at a loss. Say you own a business. The cost of electricity reduces the profit, hence taxes, while the mined bitcoins are never reported. For employees it becomes even more lucrative as the employer takes the cost.

These ways of mining are mostly illegal, but I believe enough people will do it anyway. Another, more honest, use of miners is for heat. Canadians, Scandinavians and Russians should all be mining  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nuff

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:08:48 PM

shhh, keep quiet or the boss might find out
windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 02:12:05 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2014, 02:28:25 PM by windpath

Isn't it just a matter of time before the cost of electricity becomes higher than the value of mined bitcoins?

I think is true for many "older" (use the term lightly) miners, but if you look at the new hardware coming online now, it is not only faster but much more efficient....

Example:

BFL 10 GH/s cube (still for sale, but who is buying these things???)
Price: $349
Consumption: 3 to 4 Watts Per GH/s Per Chip

Antimer S1 180 GH/s
Price: $400
Consumption: ~2 Watt Per GH/s

Antimer S2 1TH/s
Price: $3,599
Consumption: ~1 Watt Per GH/s

Spoondoolies-Tech SP30 Yukon 5.4TH/s
Price: $11,995
Consumption: ~0.38 Watt Per GH/s

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 03:19:42 PM

What does mining have to do with crooks?  Still trying to wrap my head around the title.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Zetler (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:08:17 AM

What does mining have to do with crooks?  Still trying to wrap my head around the title.

A crook (a dishonest person, especially a sharper, swindler, or thief) will mine using illegal free electricity. An honest miner will not.

In the short run honest miners will invest in new equipment that uses less and less W/GH/s. This will enable them to make a profit for a while. But it also means that older mining equipment will be useless. They will be sold at eBay for almost nothing. Say $50 for an antminer.

I imagine especially students who have access to un-metered electricity will pick up these. Even if one miner generates only $1/day, some cheap-ass eastern europens will run, say, three of these at no cost and cash in $1000 a year.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:21:11 AM

How many people using their apartments free electricity do you think are mining?

At most there are a few hundred people each limited to 1kw max. This doesnt even compare to a knc 10mw datacenter.

Unless rent and hardware are free this situation is not realistic.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:54:08 AM

"Crooks" stealing < 1kW of free electricity from their apartments, dorm rooms, office -> decentralized hashing.

This is not really a bad thing for Bitcoin.
nostradamus

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 11:26:10 AM

1. There is no such thing as free electricity, only electricity that someone else is paying for. Thus, it can never scale; the boss/landlord/grandma is going to notice.

2. The cost of electricity is only 1 factor in an entities ability to deploy hashing power. Large operations that can build equipment for a fraction of the $/GH will always dwarf even the largest army of power moochers.

3. If this scenario actually existed, it would mean extreme decentralization, which actually would be great.
samsonn25

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 05:37:29 PM

It costs data centers more cost overall than average Joe to run a machine because a slight savings in electrical rate is offset by paying rent for the space.

The bigger advantage is they can run more machines because of more space and power available.

Manufacturers who mine also also have another advantage in that they get their machines at the "real wholesale manufacturing cost".
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:40:30 PM

shhh, keep quiet or the boss might find out
Believe me would have liked to try it myself in one of many empty back offices.  Forced to go to cloudhashing or hosting for the future.  Heaters being sold for summer.
VinCeCream

Activity: 89

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 12:16:03 AM

"Crooks" stealing < 1kW of free electricity from their apartments, dorm rooms, office -> decentralized hashing.

This is not really a bad thing for Bitcoin.

The opposite actually.

BSIG

Activity: 75

Vintage4X4

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 06:37:15 PM

In the short run, say next six months, the trend will be more professional data centers. These have economies of scale and cheap electricity. Obviously Average Joe will not make money anymore with his Antminer.

From 2015 I believe even the data centers will lose. People with free electricity will learn that mining generates a "free" income. Some have free electricity on their rental contracts. Others are illegally connected. There will even be some who deliberately mine at a loss. Say you own a business. The cost of electricity reduces the profit, hence taxes, while the mined bitcoins are never reported. For employees it becomes even more lucrative as the employer takes the cost.

These ways of mining are mostly illegal, but I believe enough people will do it anyway. Another, more honest, use of miners is for heat. Canadians, Scandinavians and Russians should all be mining  Smiley

keep it on the down low..

Vintage4X4
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: