Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:07:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can the exchanges afford it?  (Read 666 times)
vn10vn (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:02:03 PM

Most of the exchanges I see online for Crypto and Bitcoin are run by a couple of guys only.
Let's say a lot of people buy Bitcoin when its at a low price, then it spikes up high and starts to drop again...and now everybody wants to sell it before it drops back to the exchange, how can the exchange afford to pay all these people double or triple the price of what they sold them the coins for?

I don't get it.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KaChingCoinDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:11:15 PM

Most of the exchanges I see online for Crypto and Bitcoin are run by a couple of guys only.
Let's say a lot of people buy Bitcoin when its at a low price, then it spikes up high and starts to drop again...and now everybody wants to sell it before it drops back to the exchange, how can the exchange afford to pay all these people double or triple the price of what they sold them the coins for?

I don't get it.

Why? Because the exchange is not the one buying it. It is the buy orders. The exchange is the middleman, getting the fees.
ejinte

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 05:21:08 PM

I don't get it.

An exchange never sells or buys coins. They are just connecting sellers and buyers.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.6%-1% House Edge
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 06:12:29 PM

I don't get it.

The problem u r talking about applies to coin shops/traders like CoinBase who directly buy/sell coin with their own fund. U'll see they always buy low and sell high and they never hold unless they really predict the market to go up for some certain reason.

vn10vn (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 08:00:04 PM

The problem u r talking about applies to coin shops/traders like CoinBase who directly buy/sell coin with their own fund. U'll see they always buy low and sell high and they never hold unless they really predict the market to go up for some certain reason.

Yes that's what I mean. What if those traders have all these people who just made a huge profit and trying to sell back to them for fiat before the rate drops, and no one is buying coin, but everyone is selling it, then how can the trader afford to pay so many people at such a high rate in that situation?
trader001

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 12:51:30 AM

Yes that's what I mean. What if those traders have all these people who just made a huge profit and trying to sell back to them for fiat before the rate drops, and no one is buying coin, but everyone is selling it, then how can the trader afford to pay so many people at such a high rate in that situation?

Most traders are gamblers. And most gamblers lose money.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 10:06:12 AM

The price call comes from the trader. If u look at CoinBase, they are saying at what rate they'll buy/sell. So, they buys or sells coins at their comfortable rate where they can make profit. But, there is always a time lag between buying coins and selling them. If the price drops within that short time, trader will lose. Chances are low, but still there is a chance... and if u know business comes with a risk... life too Wink

Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:46:30 PM

I don't get it.

In this sense the majority of exchanges are providing the service of matchmaking buyers and sellers. So the exchange isn't outlaying any funds for the purchasing and selling of coins, the risk is with the traders.

Naturally they take their cut per trade (usually), and a slice for getting coins and funds into and out of the exchange, some of which is actually a fee for transmission. I tell you what, exchanges make an absolute killing in times of panic, dat volume.

vn10vn (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 04:08:09 PM

Sounds great in theory, but it seems some of my fears are coming true. Check out xnigma.com and c-cex.com, in the chatboxes, people are having a problem getting their withdrawals.

Huh   Shocked   Cry
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:21:55 PM

Sounds great in theory, but it seems some of my fears are coming true. Check out xnigma.com and c-cex.com, in the chatboxes, people are having a problem getting their withdrawals.

Huh   Shocked   Cry

We are talking about major exchanges and as someone said , the price doesnt get high by the exchange, if the price starts to raise, and lets say only btc-e has the old price, the people will inmmediately get money into btc-e to buy cheap coins and then the price will spike too, and thats where from the exchange will pay to the people who wants to withdraw.

and btc-e, bitstamp, coinbase are not running by two persons, see the buy orders from btc-e, they have 10 millions dollars on it, do you believe they cant afford more people?
CoinMKT.com

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:16:54 PM

I don't get it.

Why? Because the exchange is not the one buying it. It is the buy orders. The exchange is the middleman, getting the fees.

Exactly.  As exchanges we don't hold and make money per transactions or withdraws.   
Bogleg

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 01:41:08 AM

Mtgox made money by stealing customer's coin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: