Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:40:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Exchanges 5% up in the last couple of hours  (Read 1950 times)
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:40:17 PM

It may have been because of the Winklevoss twins saying that Bitcoin will be bigger than Facebook.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #eXG5IM0j3IYU7DML

Heh, might be because of that Tongue Bitcoin price raised a lot too, more good words from  Winklevoss twins  Grin

reminds that facebook market captalizations is 152.54B ... and we ..

http://blockchain.info/charts/market-cap

Tongue

FB is 25 times bigger ... people invest in something because the potencial ROI ... I do agree that the whole bitcoin ecosystem can be bigger than that ... just look how big linux community became ...

Facebook is a company that brings in revenue. Bitcoin is simply a form of currency. You can't even begin to compare the two because they are so different.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:48:56 PM

It may have been because of the Winklevoss twins saying that Bitcoin will be bigger than Facebook.

Heh, might be because of that Tongue Bitcoin price raised a lot too, more good words from  Winklevoss twins  Grin

Tongue

FB is 25 times bigger ... people invest in something because the potencial ROI ... I do agree that the whole bitcoin ecosystem can be bigger than that ... just look how big linux community became ...

Facebook is a company that brings in revenue. Bitcoin is simply a form of currency. You can't even begin to compare the two because they are so different.

for while I don't see bitcoin as money .. I don't receive my salary in bitcoin, I don't pay my tax in bitcoin, etc ... I think most of all people sees bitcoin as investment .. and everybody wants to get ROI ... in the future maybe it will be different .. but not now..

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:54:09 PM

Heh, might be because of that Tongue Bitcoin price raised a lot too, more good words from  Winklevoss twins  Grin

Tongue

for while I don't see bitcoin as money .. I don't receive my salary in bitcoin, I don't pay my tax in bitcoin, etc ... I think most of all people sees bitcoin as investment .. and everybody wants to get ROI ... in the future maybe it will be different .. but not now..

If Bitcoin is an investment and doesn't earn money, how can it be an investment? That is quite literally the definition of a ponzi scheme (what you feel Bitcoin is). That is NOT how it is designed, nor how it's meant to be utilized.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
frienemy

Activity: 235

I was promised da moon

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:55:30 PM

Heh, might be because of that Tongue Bitcoin price raised a lot too, more good words from  Winklevoss twins  Grin

Tongue

Overstock, for example, is converting only 90% of their bitcoin turnover into Dollar, they keep 10% in BTC in order to pay employees and vendors in the future. But in a speculation forum we will talk about bitcoin as an investment most of the time, that's just logical. Nevertheless, I do spend some from time to time, whenever I have the possibility.

MCTRL_751 >   END OF LINE
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 07:59:31 PM

Tongue

If Bitcoin is an investment and doesn't earn money, how can it be an investment? That is quite literally the definition of a ponzi scheme (what you feel Bitcoin is). That is NOT how it is designed, nor how it's meant to be utilized.

Because people use fiat to get into bitcoin world, the time you buy a miner is an investment, the time you trade on exchange is an investment, the time you pay your electricity bill is an investment ... so bitcoin is an investment right now, I don't know how people going to use it in the future, maybe when people start use it the same way people use fiat money we can treat bitcoin as money and maybe Nakamoto will touch his btcs... for while we still a small community, early adopters investing in bitcoin's future

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:45:20 PM

Tongue

you are so far off

Bitcoin is so much more than simply a currency, it's a protocol that can and will host many applications, currency is just one of many things bitcoin can do

Saying bitcoin is just currency is like saying the internet is just email.

Also, owning bitcoins is lke owning a little bit of the bitcoin network and mining is also like being a stakeholder in the bitcoin network. Both will pay off if bitcoin gains popularity and utility. Since people have financial incentive in spreading bitcoin, they will be likely to convince others to also look into bitcoin. This will cause an exponentially growing amount of people who will use bitcoin (due to the network effect) and like facebook it will grow at an exponential rate, which will also cause the price to grow at an exponential rate. At least until we hit the upper limit because there are only so many people on the earth and not every single one of them will use bitcoin.

So let's say about 3 billion people will eventually use bitcoin in the end. For that to happen the price needs to increase many times over (probably about 2000~4000 times or so)

Is 3 billion far-fetched? I think it can happen, since facebook already has 1.2 billion users or so (and is still growing, although at slower rate) and although facebook is a great platform for applications and sharing, bitcoin is has so much more utility. Anyway we are currently not even close to a billion users, in fact we're most likely still under a million users (hard to tell exactly) so there's a lot of room left for exponential growth.
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:51:50 PM

I wasn't aware of bitcoin in this respect until March 2014...two months ago - ish - ...and it was dropping into the 425 level. I got set up but was thwarted waiting on coinbase's waiting period which was killing me. I was soooo ready to start playing...and it dropped to under 400 and I was like HURRREEEEEETHEHELLUPCOINBASEPLLEEEESSSE...but but the time I was able to do anything it'd started moving back up so I got my first one at 399/400. Then it went all the way up to the 440s and friggen stayed there ever since until yesterday. Of course it did this after I made 2 $25 payments just to get familiar with how easy it is moving money around...

And on that note I have to say that almost felt like I did it wrong because it was too easy and fast...I've been conditioned to know there's a catch. How sad. It was as simple as sending an email, push the button, DING...and notice on my phone. And it's deducted from my account. It was really interesting watching the confirmations kick in too.

So I've gained much more hands on confidence in using bitcoin and will be in for the long haul. I was really excited yesterday when I saw it suddenly shoot up to 490s and then watched it hit the 500 mark (and that I was fast enough to make the post about it Cheesy)

There's another way to go about it, when moving money...tell someone I'd prefer to be paid in bitcoin and then just help them get an account set up to "accommodate you" so they can send it that way...once they do it the first time they'll see it's way easier - save but the verification part.

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: