Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:09:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: width of screen.  (Read 608 times)
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1122

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 10:14:08 PM

In most threads, a banner ad appears under the first post on a page, these days for Antminer.  That banner ad is very wide.  It forces a horizontal slider bar onto the browser, and hides the right edge of all the posts on the page, unless you have your browser open to about 1600 pixels wide.  And the slider bar and the hiding-the-right-edge "feature" persist even when you're reading posts further down the page where the banner ad no longer even shows.

That's really annoying for those of us who would prefer not to keep our damn browsers 1600 pixels wide all the time.

Is there any way this wide banner ad could be broken up into "left half" and "right half" - meaning, people who have their browser 1600 pixels wide would see it exactly the same way, but for those of us who really like to leave half our screen for other things (like, say, an editor for taking notes or a terminal shell for doing work) the page compositor could just stack them one atop another?

Alternatively, is there some "reasonable" account upgrade I can buy to get rid of the damn page-layout breaking banner ad?
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:37:24 PM

Yeah, just check out https://bitcointa.lk/
Below's the link to the official thread.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=515932.0

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 20, 2014, 11:45:45 PM

In most threads, a banner ad appears under the first post on a page, these days for Antminer.  That banner ad is very wide.  It forces a horizontal slider bar onto the browser, and hides the right edge of all the posts on the page, unless you have your browser open to about 1600 pixels wide.  And the slider bar and the hiding-the-right-edge "feature" persist even when you're reading posts further down the page where the banner ad no longer even shows.

That's really annoying for those of us who would prefer not to keep our damn browsers 1600 pixels wide all the time.

Is there any way this wide banner ad could be broken up into "left half" and "right half" - meaning, people who have their browser 1600 pixels wide would see it exactly the same way, but for those of us who really like to leave half our screen for other things (like, say, an editor for taking notes or a terminal shell for doing work) the page compositor could just stack them one atop another?

Alternatively, is there some "reasonable" account upgrade I can buy to get rid of the damn page-layout breaking banner ad?
Yeah, you can pay 50 BTC Wink

Adblock currently blocks the antminer ad. Or bitcointa.lk.

Or you can try the following userstyle:

a[href^="https://www.bitmaintech.com/product.htm?from=bitcointalk"] {
display: none;
}
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 12:29:58 AM

50 BTC is not an example of "reasonable". 

I'll work with the CSS thing.  They're actually abusing the 'span' element to achieve the banner-ad like effect. 

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 12:34:04 AM

50 BTC is not an example of "reasonable". 

I'll work with the CSS thing.  They're actually abusing the 'span' element to achieve the banner-ad like effect. 
How so? A CSS span element just lets you address a specific portion of the page. It's a non-semantic element, and using span elements to create banners is not abuse.. there's no <ad> element Cheesy

Getting adblock would be the simplest solution.
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 12:58:16 AM

Nope, adblock doesn't do it.  No graphics are being served from anywhere else.

What we have is a <span> element with styled text, appearing inside an <a> element. 

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:23:21 AM

Nope, adblock doesn't do it.  No graphics are being served from anywhere else.

What we have is a <span> element with styled text, appearing inside an <a> element. 

I don't see the antminer ads with adblock? Adblock does more than just match images..
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:39:26 AM

I keep my browser at around 700px wide, and it looks fine for me. It also looks OK on my Android devices. But I agree that the behavior is non-optimal.

The way ads are done, that's not really practical. Some ads will actually do that, but it'd be difficult to enforce for all ads.

The ad should probably behave like it's contained within a div with overflow:auto, but doing this seems complicated with our table layout. I haven't yet been able to figure out how to do it. I'll mess with it more later.

If you know how to do it, let me know. But there are some restrictions due to the way ad blockers are bypassed. CSS can be added to any element, and the ad area can be surrounded by any number of additional tags, but the ad area must be balanced. <span><div>ad_area</div></span> is OK, but <span>ad_area<div>...</div></span> is (probably) not. Furthermore, the wrapper around the ad HTML must behave like <span>ad_code</span>. The behavior of the inner HTML and neighboring HTML must not be affected by the wrapper, and the whole ad+wrapper must be inline. (Ads are always inline or inline-block.)

The first CSS class listed in the page's <style> is the class for the real ad area's <tr>. The ad area's <tr> is like the <tr> of a post. There are also some hidden, decoy ad areas and posts. Ads themselves are totally arbitrary HTML, which is why it's important for any wrapper stuff to be very well-behaved.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:02:22 AM

Try using max-width instead of width?
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 04:21:17 AM

Nope, adblock doesn't do it.  No graphics are being served from anywhere else.

Adblock isn't removing it for me either. I don't really find it that annoying though. It only takes up a small portion for me and doesn't go all the way across the screen.  

K, that was weird.  When I made this post the ad disappeared.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: