Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:25:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help With Multibit Transaction To Coinbase  (Read 765 times)
phort6n2 (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2014, 11:52:32 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2014, 12:21:50 AM by phort6n2

Earlier today I attempted to send .25 BTC to my Coinbase account from my Multibit wallet. I got a triangle symbol immediately. That was about six hours ago. The transaction isn't showing up at Coinbase, and the transaction has disappeared from my Multibit transaction list after I reset the blockchain. The problem is that my Multibit balance shows .0084 BTC, which is what my balance would be if the transaction actually went through. The .25 BTC seems to be missing. What can I do?

*UPDATE* So I did a little reading, which I clearly should have done in the first place, and followed the instructions in this reply:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=602524.msg6761922#msg6761922

And now all is good  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:29:49 AM

Thanks for sharing this. I've just had the exact same problem (and did the same thing as you), after watching $1400 worth of BTC disappear that was supposed to go to Coinbase. I'll have to follow those instructions and see if I can find it again.

Never using Multi-bit again. These bugs scare me. But I have a tight bandwidth cap so the full client is out of the question. Looks like I'll just have to trust Coinbase and figure out their screwy interface. (I use a lot of exchanges and although all are different, they are all easy and intuitive. Why does Coinbase have to be so hard to figure out? Sigh.)

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
prof7bit

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

https://youengine.io/

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 07:56:31 AM

Looks like I'll just have to trust Coinbase and figure out their screwy interface.
No, coinbase is not an alternative. There are other local wallet apps and each of them is to prefer over a web service like coin base. Before you make a fatally wrong and dangerous decision (such as giving away your bitcoins to someone else to hold them for you) you should understand and compare the risks. A sync problem in Multibit is zero risk for you, its just a minor temporary annoyance not being able to see your latest transactions immediately due to failure to download them from the network, thats what the "reset block chain" button is there to try downloading them again. Nobody can lose or has ever lost bitcoins from a sync problem, this is just not possible due to the way bitcoin works.

If you are now misinterpreting this minor user-interface glitch as a greater risk as giving your precious private keys away to a third party with remote access from all over the world and with dangerous exposure to inconsistent US regulatory agencies then this might later prove to be a huge mistake. I recommend you keep your BTC in Multibit where they are safe and controlled only by you and not share them with a whole bunch of people you have never met. Even if this means you have to click the "reset" button once every few months to force downloading the tx history if it doesn't download on its own.

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:25:14 PM

Looks like I'll just have to trust Coinbase and figure out their screwy interface.
No, coinbase is not an alternative. There are other local wallet apps and each of them is to prefer over a web service like coin base. Before you make a fatally wrong and dangerous decision (such as giving away your bitcoins to someone else to hold them for you) you should understand and compare the risks. A sync problem in Multibit is zero risk for you, its just a minor temporary annoyance not being able to see your latest transactions immediately due to failure to download them from the network, thats what the "reset block chain" button is there to try downloading them again. Nobody can lose or has ever lost bitcoins from a sync problem, this is just not possible due to the way bitcoin works.

If you are now misinterpreting this minor user-interface glitch as a greater risk as giving your precious private keys away to a third party with remote access from all over the world and with dangerous exposure to inconsistent US regulatory agencies then this might later prove to be a huge mistake. I recommend you keep your BTC in Multibit where they are safe and controlled only by you and not share them with a whole bunch of people you have never met. Even if this means you have to click the "reset" button once every few months to force downloading the tx history if it doesn't download on its own.

I've had a number of other problems with Multi-bit, so I'm through with it. There are a couple small missing transactions that showed up for a few days but disappeared with the reset, and that has happened before. A few days ago it died and wouldn't run because of some sort of Java issue. I got it running eventually, but it now takes forever to load. This is just the straw breaking the camel's back.

I know there are other local wallets including light-weight ones and I understand their security advantages. I have some issues with being able to use them though, in the manner that I'd like. Coinbase is a very professional firm. If I can trust Fidelity with my fiat investments online, I think I can trust Coinbase with a couple BTC.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: