Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:27:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Karpeles cause the April and November 2013 bubbles? Most Probably.  (Read 1210 times)
lumierre (OP)

Activity: 862
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 05:42:21 PM

After reading this, I now think that drawing TA trend lines from at least a year back up to now doesn't make sense.
http://willyreport.wordpress.com/

However, the fact is that the price has been in an uptrend for years and will still probably go up with the influx of new market players. A long term log trend line from 2010 is likely more reliable than plotting with 2013 charts. Kinda sad but the good news is that Mt.Gox has ended.

Lastly, this flash crash in BTC-e should be a red flag for everybody, especially those who have funds in BTC-e.
https://i.imgur.com/EshPBv8.png

CDEX-CROSS-CHAIN DECENTRALIZED EXCHANGE PLATFORM
TOKENS FOR BITCOINTALK USERS FOR SIGNATURES! ANN TREAD ! WHITEPAPER ! LITEPAPER !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:14:16 PM

Obvious ponzi scheme is obvious.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:21:11 PM

After reading this, I now think that drawing TA trend lines from at least a year back up to now doesn't make sense.
http://willyreport.wordpress.com/

However, the fact is that the price has been in an uptrend for years and will still probably go up with the influx of new market players. A long term log trend line from 2010 is likely more reliable than plotting with 2013 charts. Kinda sad but the good news is that Mt.Gox has ended.

Lastly, this flash crash in BTC-e should be a red flag for everybody, especially those who have funds in BTC-e.
https://i.imgur.com/EshPBv8.png

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Running an unregulated unmonitored online digital financial asset exchange, would be an idiot con-man's wet dream and the potential for riches beyond wildest dreams could easily sway those who have started out with honest intentions to become idiot conmen. Karpeles himself has a history of online fraud and was probably running a corrupt show from the start. Perhaps he thought he could ramp up Bitcoin with fake trade volume, cash out real Bitcoins on other more honest exchanges, and then use 'Willy' to crash Bitcoin allowing him to buy back his customers real Bitcoins at a fraction of the price he sold them at? Perhaps he could have gotten away with it until bigger whales than him (China) came to market?

I have never trusted BTC-e nor Bitfinex (both of these exchanges had the hacker $100 flash crashes), I did trust Bitstamp, but their very peculiar KYC procedures are ringing alarm bells. However, Bitstamp apply their wacky off-putting KYC procedures also to people who are looking to deposit funds, not just withdraw. MtGox was always quite efficient at accepting fiat in, just not so good at handing it back upon request.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:35:10 PM

I have never trusted BTC-e nor Bitfinex

And yet, you have what can only be considered an advert for them in your sig.  Oh the irony.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 07:48:29 PM

I refuse to give credit to the price moves of last year to MTGOX or mark.

The market is much bigger than them. And their death as a business is evidence of that.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 08:21:15 PM

yes, i believe those bot trades were not much more than noise, and they probably barely affected the price.

it's a bit tiresome to see this FUD all over the forums.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 10:15:18 PM

Very interesting analysis. My take is that if it was Karpeles this was desperate short covering. The suspension of USD withdrawals came right after the first 2013 bubble while the final collapse came after the second 2013 bubble. I never accepted the US government as the real cause behind the suspension of USD withdrawals from MTGox. One must keep in mind here that if one wishes to scam a community with a large component of libertarians and crypto-anarchists the US government makes for a very good bogeyman.

The net result of short selling large quantities of BTC is to suppress the price for a while, and then when the short collapses into bankruptcy or just before a sharp rally. Those who were around in 2011-2012 might remember pirateat40 who came to grief in very much the same way. It was a rally in August 2012 that finally did him in, and once the market realized that the BTC were never there and consequently could not be sold the price took off.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:45:52 PM

I really doubt Karpeles could have done it. In fact, I'm sure there's no way he could have pulled it off. He's too stupid.
damnek

Activity: 614

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:57:04 PM

The willly story would also explain why the coinlab deal fell through. Mtgox didn't provide access to its userbase to coinlab as was agreed on. When they made that deal, Mark probably thought he would still be able to fix things and there was no willy yet. He must've been worried that coinlab would find out about his little secret.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 11:57:28 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2014, 01:38:15 AM by Peter R

Very interesting analysis. My take is that if it was Karpeles this was desperate short covering. The suspension of USD withdrawals came right after the first 2013 bubble while the final collapse came after the second 2013 bubble. I never accepted the US government as the real cause behind the suspension of USD withdrawals from MTGox. One must keep in mind here that if one wishes to scam a community with a large component of libertarians and crypto-anarchists the US government makes for a very good bogeyman.

The net result of short selling large quantities of BTC is to suppress the price for a while, and then when the short collapses into bankruptcy or just before a sharp rally. Those who were around in 2011-2012 might remember pirateat40 who came to grief in very much the same way. It was a rally in August 2012 that finally did him in, and once the market realized that the BTC were never there and consequently could not be sold the price took off.

I agree that Willy was likely short covering (in order to make good on BTC withdrawal requests).  But I think the reason MtGox was short was that the 850k BTC went missing in 2011 and not in 2013.  MtGox had been operating on fractional reserves for nearly its entire life.  

Here's the complete theory which seems to explain most detail: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=497289.0

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 02:18:32 AM

the findings are very interesting, but i highly doubt that willy played any major role in any of the BTC bubble honestly...
Doesn't make sense from a volume standpoint.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/26h8tv/the_willy_btc_volume_is_only_equivalent_to_7_of/

ShameOnYou

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 02:21:28 AM

I have never trusted BTC-e nor Bitfinex

And yet, you have what can only be considered an advert for them in your sig.  Oh the irony.

Read that one again, if you will: "Want to swim with sharks and wrestle with vipers? Trade Bitfinex!" Does that really sound like an advertisement to you? Doesn't to me, but to each his own...
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 02:23:33 AM

Hey, Bitfinex is a VERY legit operation, back when there was the reverse trade glitch they refunded users and all. The team is very professional. one of the most trustwhorty exchanges out there.

About BTC-E, well, lol, let's just say I use it only for the trollbox, but no money there...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: