Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:56:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HD 7990 Sparked (Any ideas on a fix? More info in post)  (Read 1730 times)
Kikojui (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 01:13:12 PM

-------------------------------------------------------
RIG SPECS:
Motherboard: ASROCK FM2A88X EXTREME6+
CPU: AMD A10 7700k FM2+ Socket
RAM: Vulcan, 8GB DDR3
GPU: RADEON HD7990 X 2
Riser Cables X 2 (16 to 16)
Wireless card: ASUS PCE-N15
PSU: EVGA 1300w Gold
-------------------------------------------------------

Been mining with this rig (my first) for a few month or two now, had little problems.

This morning I woke up (we had recently really hot weather, no idea if relevant) and the rig was off, tried turning it on and it wouldn't so ran these checks:

Tested PSU (it was fine)
Started replacing hardware and turning on (was fine until I plugged the last card it)

Last card plugged in, turn on, sparks fly for a second from what looks like one of the power cables to the middle fan (not 100% sure)
Unplugged it immediately to save further damage.

Is this a common problem? is it possible to fix? (I spent £700 on each of my HD 7990's and REALLY don't want to have wasted so much money before it's paid for itself.

So basically I'm asking for opinions, ideas on fixes and general advice.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:47:24 PM

Errm. When it has come to the point of sparks flying off of your graphics card you should either let someone techsavvy check it for you or check yourself for anything that looks burnt on the cards surface. If you find burnmarks anywhere on the card you can try to send it in if there is still guarantee on it, but basically I'd say you can just throw it away.

If you are in luck it's just a defective fan and the PC shut down to prevent damage. But since the card being put in prevented the machine from booting I am quite certain you toasted it.

This is the very reason why I allways advise against mining with GPUs, especially with overclocked GPUs you still want to use for gaming. Graphics cards are mostly NOT designed to run under full throttle 24/7 especially not the fans.

Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 02:56:02 PM

"This is the very reason why I always advise against mining with GPUs, especially with overclocked GPUs you still want to use for gaming."

This is a mining Rig, not used for anything other than mining, it is config to be it's optimum, it's not running at full throttle as I do not have the sufficient cooling to deal with that, I have both cores on the remaining card hashing out at around 700-800 each, the card that had the issue, being secondary could be sustained at 800 hash each core. I think it was likely the fan since the few sparks that did happen happened around the connector to the middle of the 3 fans.

Wondering if anyone else has had a fan error like the one I mentioned?
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 03:48:55 PM

From the sounds of it the GPU might be fine, it sounds like a cable powering the fan has melted and is causing a short. Pictures would be a massive help. And if you ever have hot weather then I always reccomnd pointing a couple extra fans towards the cards to stop them getting to hot, 70-80c is the Max anything after this is going to damage the card over time

Kikojui (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2014, 08:51:33 PM

On the assumption it is a short in the fan power cable, how would I rectify this?

A photo won't help unless I take it apart as it doesn't look any different. from an outside inspection... I'm just wary about taking it to get repaired (was quoted £90 cost IF it can be fixed)  I'm just worried that it might be a really simple fix that's all.

Thank you for the replies so far, I appreciate the help.
Chrithu

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:17:31 AM

On the assumption it is a short in the fan power cable, how would I rectify this?

A photo won't help unless I take it apart as it doesn't look any different. from an outside inspection... I'm just wary about taking it to get repaired (was quoted £90 cost IF it can be fixed)  I'm just worried that it might be a really simple fix that's all.

Thank you for the replies so far, I appreciate the help.

Well you could of course try and get a replacement fan on ebay and just replace it. Or for a quick test: unplug the power cord of the fan and see if the rig boots with the card in. Just do not put any load on the GPU while the fan isn't powered.

As far as a photo and taking it apart goes: Any "simple fix" would entail that anyways, because at the very least you have to replace that fan if it's the source of evil.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: