Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:38:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is this kind of copying acceptable, or not?
Acceptable.
Unacceptable.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: There's a BTC payment processor in Lithuania, copying BitPay. Your opinions?  (Read 1547 times)
1PFYcabWEwZFm2Ez5LGTx3ftz (OP)

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 08:22:39 PM

Screenshot from this Lithuanian payment processor (bitmarket.lt/mistertango.com/payweb.lt; don't ask me why they use three different brands, but it's the same company):

Screenshot from BitPay:

Find 5 differences? I think not...

I don't see anything inherently bad in copying, but there are two very different things:

1. Copying something, and improving/changing/adding new features.

2. Copying something, and then selling the identical copy for a higher price than the original thing cost. This is because as you see in the screenshots, they ask more BTC for the same amount of FIAT (both invoices were generated at the same time).

I wanted to inform you of this, and also to hear your opinions. Is this kind of copying acceptable, or not?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 04:46:41 AM

No problem for me. As long as the Lithuanian payment processor's platform is reliable and stable. If they can improve/ change / add new features that will be welcomed. I hope the new platform has enough ability to raise capitals to maintain and improve as quality service as BitPay is offering.
umair127

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 09:53:35 AM

Screenshot from this Lithuanian payment processor (bitmarket.lt/mistertango.com/payweb.lt; don't ask me why they use three different brands, but it's the same company):

Screenshot from BitPay:

I don't see anything inherently bad in copying, but there are two very different things:

2. Copying something, and then selling the identical copy for a higher price than the original thing cost. This is because as you see in the screenshots, they ask more BTC for the same amount of FIAT (both invoices were generated at the same time).

I wanted to inform you of this, and also to hear your opinions. Is this kind of copying acceptable, or not?

so if someone copy someones else idea, is there a problem with that?  Competition makes the market healthy and helps out with the advertising aspect of it also.

LiteCoinUser84

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 10:54:06 AM

No... just no.

Copying is illegal, and we shouldn't encourage more illegality to Bitcoin.

LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 11:52:07 AM

No... just no.

Copying is illegal, and we shouldn't encourage more illegality to Bitcoin.

Breaching copyright is illegal in some jurisdictions; it's a civil matter in most. If BitPay believe that bitmarket.lt have breached BitPay's copyright then - I'd suggest - it's BitPay who should take action. However, it's entirely possible that BitPay don't regard this as a breach of copyright and welcome the competition.

Incidentally, a quick Google-images search for "pay with bitcoin" returns several instances of the Bitcoin logo beside a blue "Pay with Bitcoin" bar, and QR codes are nearly ubiquitous with Bitcoin - my phone's wallet (Mycellium) uses them, I've even had one as my avatar on Bitcointalk since 2011.

I don't have any problem with bitmarket.lt charging higher fees than Bitpay - their costs will be different, subject to regional and local variations, etc. Lithuania has its own currency (it won't adopt the Euro until next year at the earliest), for example.

There definitely are examples of very dubious copying scams out there (attempts to grab private keys or passwords), but I'm not seeing anything here to suggest that this is anything other than a new service using very common design elements.

This space intentionally left blank.
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 11:53:51 AM

Normally not acceptable
But given the huge scale of adoption that needs to happen, we can use all the help we get including that of plagiarists

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 11:59:15 AM

Looks more like they're bootstrapping. If they grow big and continue using copied code, then it'd be in BitPay's interest to sue. It'd be disappointing if they did so without giving them a shot, though.

Though... it's obviously pretty concerning that they'd claim to be able to handle the kind of work BitPay does when not having the resources to do something other than copy the UI so unimaginatively. I'd be surprised if it isn't a scam.
Wealthy

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 01:52:54 PM

Copycats have never made a stand, and this one will fail too

Ignore and move on!
Deviant1

Activity: 83

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 02:01:29 PM

The more competition among payment processors the better! I don't think these guys have done anything wrong at all.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 02:06:36 PM

I think there isn't any type of problem ,  More competition =  a best  service !
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2014, 02:26:12 PM

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 03:02:07 PM

so they swiped the look and feel of bitpay.  not illegal, and dont see the big deal.

Fearless

Activity: 89

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:31:42 PM

Screenshot from BitPay:

Those who copy and establish their brand couldn't be considered trustworthy.Those who couldn't even generate their own design ideas how could they provide a secure environment for its users assets who are trusting and utilizing their website.
CreamyPie

Activity: 61

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:36:00 PM

It won't be able to beat Bitpay as its acting like a copycat...it will fall soon.
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 05:40:51 PM

Well, as long as it's legit, it's a good thing! We need competition and need to spread Bitcoins acceptance to new countries! If this service actually gives us new people that use Bitcoin it's fine with me. If they're blatantly copying BitPay, though, they'll get into legal trouble soon, I guess!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
itsAj

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 06:04:36 PM

Looks more like they're bootstrapping. If they grow big and continue using copied code, then it'd be in BitPay's interest to sue. It'd be disappointing if they did so without giving them a shot, though.

Though... it's obviously pretty concerning that they'd claim to be able to handle the kind of work BitPay does when not having the resources to do something other than copy the UI so unimaginatively. I'd be surprised if it isn't a scam.
Do you think they could be part of some kind of affiliate program that is not publicly known? Bitpay, in theory could be trying to expand in overseas markets they are having trouble penetrating into and would let this 3rd party use their UI and backend services in exchange for them doing the marketing.

Regardless of if this is a scam or not I think the risk would be primarily on the merchant not the consumer.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 06:37:04 PM

It's a great thing, no question! It just spreads the word and gets Bitcoin to new countries! The only way this may be something bad would be if they really aren't legit and should go and scam people! That being said it would also be problematic if they steal BitPay's intellectual property! BitPays should of course sue in that case!

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: