Bitcoin Forum
December 06, 2016, 10:23:24 AM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Wallet.dat  (Read 1261 times)
fuzee64

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:46:00 PM

Hey,

I recently lost my wallet. My computer was giving me a boot error that it was missing a windows file and could not start up properly. I attempted to repair the file using startup repair and run a system restore, both to no avail. I then proceeded to attempt to re install windows on my drive. The installation was getting caught up on completing installation so I was forced to shut down. So after all this happened I plug in my USB to a separate laptop to check if my wallet is ok; its not. For some reason I dont have the wallet.dat file on the USB with the bitcoin file (dumb, i know). So now I've got a drive that can't boot plus my extra drive (either one could have the wallet.dat file on it) and I'm lost. Im looking for any help I can to recover my coins Sad.

Read some posts and it looks like a member named casascius can help me out, but Im new to this site and it doesnt look like im allowed to PM yet for some reason??
Any response from anyone is much appreciated. Thanks.

-fuzee64

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 08:47:13 PM

How many BTC is this about ?
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 09:05:18 PM

@OP: if your wallet.dat is lost, then your bitcoins are lost.

I'm getting tired of this. it's always the same problem.
Either the official Bitcoin client should use a deterministic wallet, or newbies should be directed to use deterministic clients.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 09:08:10 PM

but just like car keys or your sanity, they may not be lost permanently, and could still be recoverable.
Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2012, 09:14:48 PM

Hey,

I recently lost my wallet. My computer was giving me a boot error that it was missing a windows file and could not start up properly. I attempted to repair the file using startup repair and run a system restore, both to no avail. I then proceeded to attempt to re install windows on my drive. The installation was getting caught up on completing installation so I was forced to shut down. So after all this happened I plug in my USB to a separate laptop to check if my wallet is ok; its not. For some reason I dont have the wallet.dat file on the USB with the bitcoin file (dumb, i know). So now I've got a drive that can't boot plus my extra drive (either one could have the wallet.dat file on it) and I'm lost. Im looking for any help I can to recover my coins Sad.

Read some posts and it looks like a member named casascius can help me out, but Im new to this site and it doesnt look like im allowed to PM yet for some reason??

Remove the hard drive from the computer that isn't able to boot, and insert it into an USB caddy. Hook that up to a working computer, and browse the drives contents and see if you can find the wallet.dat. Good luck!

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 2100

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 30, 2012, 09:27:20 PM

Hey,

Remove the hard drive from the computer that isn't able to boot, and insert it into an USB caddy. Hook that up to a working computer, and browse the drives contents and see if you can find the wallet.dat. Good luck!

You might also try this; Make a Linux boot CD (an ISO image). You can download one of many kinds for free. Now boot your computer from the CD. If it wont, you will have to go into the bios and set it to boot from CD/DVD first.
Once booted you may be able to browse the HDD that is in the machine. If you find your wallet.dat file, you can copy it to a USB stick.

Good luck mate. I'm sure it will happen to me one day also.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

Free bitcoin=https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1610684
torusJKL

Activity: 594

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 07:11:12 AM

It sounds like your drive is not completely gone.
As long as you didn't format it the wallet.dat should still be there.
Thus downloading a Linux Live CD (e.g. Ubuntu) and then recover your wallet.dat sounds to me the easiest way.

Check out Cwallet (on this forum). You can print your private keys with it in a nice QR code.

If you find my post useful send some BTC: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
payb.tc

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 07:18:25 AM

As long as you didn't format it the wallet.dat should still be there.
Thus downloading a Linux Live CD (e.g. Ubuntu) and then recover your wallet.dat sounds to me the easiest way.

sounds obvious, but don't download it onto the hard drive with the wallet.dat on it.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 09:02:43 AM

I'm getting tired of this. it's always the same problem.
Either the official Bitcoin client should use a deterministic wallet, or newbies should be directed to use deterministic clients.

So point them in the right direction

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Vbs

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 10:29:38 AM

Your wallet should be located (in Windows 7) at C:\Users\<Your User name>\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin. Try to use some recover software (like Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva ) to see if you can get it back, maybe you can recover it from the pen drive.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1092

Will read PM's. Have more time lately

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 10:45:24 AM

Your wallet should be located (in Windows 7) at C:\Users\<Your User name>\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin. Try to use some recover software (like Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva ) to see if you can get it back, maybe you can recover it from the pen drive.

Either this, or just hook the hdd to a new working pc/usb caddy to access the files inside. Your HDD doesn't seem to be fried.

My BTC Tip Jar: 1Pgvfy19uwtYe5o9dg3zZsAjgCPt3XZqz9 , GPG ID: B3AAEEB0 ,OTC ID: johnthedong
Escrow service is available on a case by case basis! (PM Me to verify I'm the escrow!)

payb.tc

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 12:41:50 PM

Your wallet should be located (in Windows 7) at C:\Users\<Your User name>\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin.

this is sort of off-topic, but what do you do when windows 7 tells you access denied on that folder? i was trying to help my brother back up his wallet but a) windows explorer wouldn't even let him navigate to that folder, and b) when i helped him get there via the command line, the copy command told him 'access denied 0 files copied.'.
torusJKL

Activity: 594

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 01:37:44 PM

Did you try with a Linux live CD?

If you find my post useful send some BTC: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1092

Will read PM's. Have more time lately

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 03:46:17 PM

Your wallet should be located (in Windows 7) at C:\Users\<Your User name>\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin.

this is sort of off-topic, but what do you do when windows 7 tells you access denied on that folder? i was trying to help my brother back up his wallet but a) windows explorer wouldn't even let him navigate to that folder, and b) when i helped him get there via the command line, the copy command told him 'access denied 0 files copied.'.

Is he on admin? If so, he might need to take ownership of the file.

I use this :http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
(for 7 or vista)
The technical details released by microsoft on this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-access-denied-when-opening-files-or-folders

My BTC Tip Jar: 1Pgvfy19uwtYe5o9dg3zZsAjgCPt3XZqz9 , GPG ID: B3AAEEB0 ,OTC ID: johnthedong
Escrow service is available on a case by case basis! (PM Me to verify I'm the escrow!)

octalforty

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 08:20:16 PM

linux live cd will work for sure.
payb.tc

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 11:08:58 PM

Is he on admin? If so, he might need to take ownership of the file.

I use this :http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
(for 7 or vista)
The technical details released by microsoft on this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-access-denied-when-opening-files-or-folders

i don't know... he owns the computer, and no-one else uses it... it seems retarded to me that win7 by default won't let you access your own files. i'll check out the link, thanks.
ZooKeeper74

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 07:03:41 AM

Were you using a bitcoin client when the harddrive failed?  I'd think it could be retrieved..

Can a person run their btc client from a flash drive, and allow all bitcoin directories to stay on that drive? the default is application data folder, I havent bothered seeing how to change it yet..
Tito91

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 11, 2012, 03:54:40 PM

Wallet.dat lost = all lost

it is recommended make a copy, always!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.