Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:02:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: low hash rate, mining pool variance/methods  (Read 2775 times)
iNs4nePT (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 11:29:36 AM

I've been mining away at a very slow hash rate: ~220Mh/s;
currently doing it mostly for the fun, by my calculations it mostly just covers electricity costs.

Also, my rig has been on 16/24h on weekdays plus 24/24h.

After trying a few pools, i do like EMC a lot (nice features), however i wonder if with this low hash rate, a pool with much higher speeds would be more appropriate, even with some fees (less variance)

Also, i am guessing that DGM is probably not the best for 16/24h operation?

Suggestions welcome

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2012, 04:53:52 PM

Why do you assume that a bigger pool will be better for you? You'll make a tiny percentage of that pool's hash power and an equally tiny reward per block.
In the long run, variance should not impact your revenue at all.
Pool fees will always impact your revenue directly.

Mining at 220MHash/s your card won't even generate 1.1 BTC per week. That's just over 4 BTC per month. You mustn't expect higher rewards unless difficulty drops significantly.
Make sure those electricity cost calculations are ok.
oscer

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 03:14:39 AM

Why do you assume that a bigger pool will be better for you? You'll make a tiny percentage of that pool's hash power and an equally tiny reward per block.
In the long run, variance should not impact your revenue at all.
Pool fees will always impact your revenue directly.

Mining at 220MHash/s your card won't even generate 1.1 BTC per week. That's just over 4 BTC per month. You mustn't expect higher rewards unless difficulty drops significantly.
Make sure those electricity cost calculations are ok.

I disagree with your Calculation of 1.1 BTC a week ...   

I Have 290-310 Mhash  and i get about 1 Bitcoin every 4 days

Xrnetworks.com Web Hosting
ram1

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 03:57:39 AM

My computer is used for many things besides BTC mining and the computer is powered on 24x7 whether mining or not, so I don't allocate 100% of the electricity usage of the computer to bitcoin generation.  It is harder to show a profit on a dedicated rig. 

I've tried a number of different pools and I don't think it makes too much difference which a small miner uses.  Recently I've been experimenting with p2pool.  I don't seem to be making quite as much, but I like the concept. 
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 08:43:44 AM

I disagree with your Calculation of 1.1 BTC a week ...   
I Have 290-310 Mhash  and i get about 1 Bitcoin every 4 days
Hey, who am I to argue with a guy with two dozen posts under his belt... Roll Eyes
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 08:56:09 AM

Not a good guess, sorry. DGM is fine. Sure there will be variance, but your choices are lose a bit then gain a bit because of pool luck variance, or be guaranteed a 7 - 10% loss under PPS. Unless you want to try one of the 115% PPS pools.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
iNs4nePT (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 10:14:30 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Not a good guess, sorry. DGM is fine. Sure there will be variance, but your choices are lose a bit then gain a bit because of pool luck variance, or be guaranteed a 7 - 10% loss under PPS. Unless you want to try one of the 115% PPS pools.

Doesn't BTC Guild use a 5% rate?
Anyway, as i simply fail to don understand how anything above 100% could be right... i won't use those.

Again, this is not a 100% dedicated rig and the objective is not purely making a profit, but rather pay the bills, gather some coins and *maybe* justify getting a new card sometime.

Thanks again
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 10:30:26 AM

Doesn't BTC Guild use a 5% rate?
Anyway, as i simply fail to don understand how anything above 100% could be right... i won't use those.

Regarding 115% PPS pools, I think both Clipse and Goat are trustworthy individuals. Clipse has been around as long as I've been here and he's never done anything dodgy. But they're new pools so there'll be down time as they get up and running. If you can put up with that (using auto failback to another pool when they're down) then go for the 15% extra. Especially useful given there's bugger all proportional pools to hop anymore.

Again, this is not a 100% dedicated rig and the objective is not purely making a profit, but rather pay the bills, gather some coins and *maybe* justify getting a new card sometime.

Thanks again

It comes down to your nerve. Assuming an honest pool op, mining at any pool will give you the same rewards in time, minus fees. But if you can't stand the times a non PPS pool is having bad luck, go for PPS. Extras like EMC has should play a large part in your decision making as well.

The only pools I wouldn't suggest you mine at *MPPS pools and prop pools (unless you know how to pool hop) for reasons I wont get into here.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: