Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:20:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People  (Read 29518 times)
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 03:57:10 PM

Someone should let him know that this:

By downloading anything from my personal web directory here, you assume responsibility for ensuring the copy is in compliance with the laws of your jurisdiction, my jurisdiction (Florida, USA), and my server's jurisdiction (Pennsylvania, USA). If you do not agree to these terms, you are not authorized to access this website. Accessing this website implies you have accepted this agreement as a binding contract.

is totally useless and has never stood up in court when challenged. I'm surprised people still even put that up.

I think at least you need to show that the visitor clicked on a checkbox to agree.

And they'd have to do that before being able to see any of your content?

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
osmosis

Activity: 300
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 04:13:01 PM

Unfortunately, it looks like BIP 16 is going to prevail simply because of personal nonsense. Gavin is the only developer who actually objects to BIP 17.

Personal 'nonsense' is what makes and breaks great projects / companies. Communication is the variable that defines developer scalability. Without it, an idea simply becomes a team of one, and that does not scale. For the linux kernel, Linus has publicly selected code based on how much he can trust and rely on the developers who will be maintaining that code into the future. As well, accomplished managers at companies often times will fire one of their most talented developers if they have "lone coder" syndrome, and later look back to say it was an important move for their success. For developers trying to get an idea adopted, there is a recommended path: Get other people on board.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 04:22:23 PM

Quoting some random person from here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/pfwqq/iama_request_gavin_andresen_lead_developer_of_the/

Queus (asking Gavin Andresen):
Why do you call yourself the Lead Developper of Bitcoin P2P Currency not the Lead Developer of the official bitcoin client?
It is is not a tongue in check question.

If the future of bitcoin depends on "one leader" then it can hardly be any more centralised. I suggest not to move in this direction.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2012, 04:23:24 PM

Someone should let him know that this:

By downloading anything from my personal web directory here, you assume responsibility for ensuring the copy is in compliance with the laws of your jurisdiction, my jurisdiction (Florida, USA), and my server's jurisdiction (Pennsylvania, USA). If you do not agree to these terms, you are not authorized to access this website. Accessing this website implies you have accepted this agreement as a binding contract.

is totally useless and has never stood up in court when challenged. I'm surprised people still even put that up.

I think at least you need to show that the visitor clicked on a checkbox to agree.

And sign their name. And even then it will likely fail, since anyone can sign your name.
osmosis

Activity: 300

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 04:36:49 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/pfwqq/iama_request_gavin_andresen_lead_developer_of_the/

Why do you call yourself the Lead Developper of Bitcoin P2P Currency not the Lead Developer of the official bitcoin client?

If the future of bitcoin depends on "one leader" then it can hardly be any more centralised. I suggest not to move in this direction.

Should Guido van Rossum call himself the lead developer of the Official Python language interpreter, and not the Python programming language? And Linus as well for the Official Mainline Linux Kernel instead of for the Linux Kernel? That seems very silly to me.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2012, 04:51:58 PM
Last edit: February 15, 2012, 05:09:46 PM by muyuu

Should Guido van Rossum call himself the lead developer of the Official Python language interpreter, and not the Python programming language? And Linus as well for the Official Mainline Linux Kernel instead of for the Linux Kernel? That seems very silly to me.

Guido Van Rossum is actually not the lead developer of the interpreter. It's been Barry Warsaw for a long time though IIRC it's lead by a group of people now. Guido INVENTED Python and pretty much leads its direction. He does very little actual development of any Python interpreter at the moment.

Linus developed the original Linux kernel and first "distro" and now he's lead maintainer of the Linux Kernel. He doesn't get to decide on the direction of Linux at this point. The community does. At this point, Ubuntu and Linux Mint have the most weight in directing Linux. Linus' decisions affect basically performance, security and compatibility. Debian, for instance, can run pretty much exactly the same on a BSD kernel, save for performance, security, compatibility and package support differences.

So no, I don't think your comparisons hold here.

Even if Gavin was Satoshi, it'd still be a completely different thing. We have bitcoind, bitcoin the official client, bitcoin the official blockchain and bitcoin the protocol. The latter two claim to have their main strength in not being centralised, according to the original paper. The last one is what really shapes "bitcoin the cryptocurrency."

Given the relationship between these elements, having a ruler of it all would equate it to Van Rossum getting to decide what can Python be used for or Linus deciding what can you install in your Linux machine. Invalid by definition.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
February 20, 2012, 06:12:51 AM

Can't we hire respectable white hats to do a professional audit (with pledges)?

I think this is an excellent idea.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 10:37:18 AM

What happened here? I got a notification but the post isn't there anymore.

mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 01:21:23 PM

are you an anarchist? Do you really think that government has no function and a world would be a better place without goverments? Then I suggest you read up on some history like feudal ages or even earlier. If you would remove goverment, that shit would happen all over again.

<snip>

"Absolute freedom" is absolute evil.

This can't be said in a more right way. People that don't understand this are little girls riding on pink poneys in a magical world of total ignorance.

I suggest you read up on what anarchism means.

However, I agree that there is nothing there that tells me not to trust Luke, he looks pretty coherent.

Yeah, show me an anarchistical community that was stable enough to invent quantum mechancs or microprocessors or the internet...
I mean, you've got to love anarchy for advancing our society from tribal hunter-gatherer to the information age, right?
And history is written by the anarchist line running through the development of human society, right?

I don't know how to bring it to you but anarchy by itself cannot be sustained outside a well-rooted centralized system without breaking apart into pure violence. Anarchy, when push come to shove, means every man on his own.
I mean, all is rosy and peachy if the big rooted centralized system provides the anarchists with resources.
But what happens if you are hungry and noone wants to give you food and there is no government to force them to?
Well, as an anarchist you take the right in your own hands and take the damn food.
See the problem?
mobodick

View Profile
March 11, 2013, 01:25:26 PM

Suppose Luke-jr any random bitcoin dev is working as an agent for the US government. His mission: Cause Bitcoin to be more effectively controlled by the government. He can accomplish this by becoming a top Bitcoin developer and gaining reputation and trust from the Bitcoin community. He can then use this trust to make subtle changes to the Bitcoin protocol that favour government control. He can also use this trust to make statements on the forums and IRC rooms that brainwash people into taking up pro US government stances.

You clearly are not paranoia enough, so i fixed it for you..
CoinSpeculator

Activity: 420

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 11:58:30 PM

are you an anarchist? Do you really think that government has no function and a world would be a better place without goverments? Then I suggest you read up on some history like feudal ages or even earlier. If you would remove goverment, that shit would happen all over again.

<snip>

This can't be said in a more right way. People that don't understand this are little girls riding on pink poneys in a magical world of total ignorance.

However, I agree that there is nothing there that tells me not to trust Luke, he looks pretty coherent.

Yeah, show me an anarchistical community that was stable enough to invent quantum mechancs or microprocessors or the internet...
I mean, you've got to love anarchy for advancing our society from tribal hunter-gatherer to the information age, right?
And history is written by the anarchist line running through the development of human society, right?

I don't know how to bring it to you but anarchy by itself cannot be sustained outside a well-rooted centralized system without breaking apart into pure violence. Anarchy, when push come to shove, means every man on his own.
I mean, all is rosy and peachy if the big rooted centralized system provides the anarchists with resources.
But what happens if you are hungry and noone wants to give you food and there is no government to force them to?
Well, as an anarchist you take the right in your own hands and take the damn food.
See the problem?

Nevermind those anarchistic city-states of Greece that spawned much of western philosophy and even the beloved democracy.  Or anarchistic post 500 AD England that developed our modern civil court system.  Or post 900AD Iceland, with it's vastly more efficient private protection systems, and violence levels on the order of those in America today.

I suppose if you ignore all the cases where anarchy was actually tried, and seemed to function spectacularly, you could totally claim that anarchy never worked anywhere™.  Of course, the reality is anarchy spawned most of the societal norms adopted by even governments today.  Allowing a multitude of social institutions to compete and iteratively improve raised the bar on their level of service so much that any institutions that claimed power had to adopt most of their rules discovered and formalized in anarchistic civilizations.
Ira H. Fuchs

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 02:06:50 AM

<snip>

See the problem?

good day sir please join our bitcoin cyberinfrastructure community for the arts and humanities...Ira
mobodick

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 07:34:41 AM

Nevermind those anarchistic city-states of Greece that spawned much of western philosophy and even the beloved democracy.  Or anarchistic post 500 AD England that developed our modern civil court system.  Or post 900AD Iceland, with it's vastly more efficient private protection systems, and violence levels on the order of those in America today.

Greek city states didn't have governance on country scale, but they usually were centrally organized. Either ruled by a single person or by a small group of people.

Of course, the reality is anarchy spawned most of the societal norms adopted by even governments today. "

Now, if you could provide some actual proof for these developments...
Most of the basis for our social norms were already written as history in the bible.
Even the egyptians had advanced social norms more than 5000 years ago.
So please tell us what social norms were invented by british anarchists in 500 AD that were unknown to other bigger previous civilizations.
It's not that i want to exclude anarchy, it just didn't play a very important role in creating these big societies that merged into the world market. There were no examples of large anarchies. If it is large it canot be purely an anarchy.
The whole point of getting centrally organized is to get past the limitations of anarchy.

Anarchy never managed to create a big stable complex society. All examples of anarchy deal with small numbers of people.
Governance emerges when such groups start to interact and fail to solve their conflicts.

So of course anarchy is the first and easiest way to organize yourself. But it has limits and does not scale.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  

Jump to: