Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:32:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: linearity in profitability calculations  (Read 3248 times)
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 10:39:47 PM

bcpokey - you seem to have misconstrued my post.

I'm not really making any predictions about the future price. I'm saying that if you are counting on it going up significantly to break even, then it makes more sense to buy directly than to invest in ASICs. I'm also saying that if you're not counting on the price going up, you're not planning on breaking even anytime soon.

I've been around 1.5+ years as well, and this is a very different situation than the move from CPU->GPU mining. There is both a significant technical and huge logistical barrier to entry with GPU mining - if you've been down that road then you're already aware of this. ASICs are a completely different animal. Not only will they require much less time, space, power - they have a much more limited availability than GPUs did, and at the moment, there is a large gap between the time you place an order and the time you'll receive it. The combination makes for a much less even playing field and an extremely hard-to-predict ROI at the time of order delivery.

If you have already invested in Bitcoin and consider any mining investment an investment in the network architecture, then you've got nothing to lose. But this is a totally different game than it was for GPU miners jumping early last year.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 11:07:29 PM

bcpokey - you seem to have misconstrued my post.

I'm not really making any predictions about the future price. I'm saying that if you are counting on it going up significantly to break even, then it makes more sense to buy directly than to invest in ASICs. I'm also saying that if you're not counting on the price going up, you're not planning on breaking even anytime soon.

I've been around 1.5+ years as well, and this is a very different situation than the move from CPU->GPU mining. There is both a significant technical and huge logistical barrier to entry with GPU mining - if you've been down that road then you're already aware of this. ASICs are a completely different animal. Not only will they require much less time, space, power - they have a much more limited availability than GPUs did, and at the moment, there is a large gap between the time you place an order and the time you'll receive it. The combination makes for a much less even playing field and an extremely hard-to-predict ROI at the time of order delivery.

If you have already invested in Bitcoin and consider any mining investment an investment in the network architecture, then you've got nothing to lose. But this is a totally different game than it was for GPU miners jumping early last year.

I am not misconstruing your post at all. That line is the exact same that I heard during the GPU wars. "If you want to make money then you should just buy bitcoins directly than to invest in [GPUs]".

I disagree about the situation, this is patently similar. I am in fact talking about the time AFTER the bubble burst, there was a big rush after GPU mining became an option, the network expanded like crazy, price was driven up by speculators in a pump and dump, and then cruelly crashed the market. After that point, many folks said "bitcoin is done", "dont ever invest in a single additional GPU, you'll NEVER see your money back", and so on. There were similar problems, 6xxx series GPUs were freshly out and carrying a premium price tag (and low relative hashing power), 5xxx series GPUs had been on the market for some time and were increasingly rare and hard to find. 5870s / 5970s, *the* primo card (and the only one I would have mined on), were almost impossible to find, with long delays in searching them out, delivery from unreliable buyers, etc.

In fact, in mirrors the situation quite well, except that the addage of "always being able to resell the GPUs" is no longer true, so your risk is greater in the sense that you could be stuck with a useless hunk of hardware that you can't even enjoy games on if things go really sour. But caveat emptor. I'm not saying buy or don't buy, but consider your actions prudently. It's not as good or bad as either side makes it seem.
jwzguy

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 11:10:23 PM

Well - since you didn't address even one point I made, I guess this conversation is over. Cheers.
bcpokey

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 11:17:07 PM

Well - since you didn't address even one point I made, I guess this conversation is over. Cheers.

I'm not sure what you would like addressed, I told you that I disagreed with your statement and why, using historical examples. I suppose if you have no rebuttal that is fine, but you don't need to make a big deal about it. Sorry if I hurt your feelings by disagreeing.
jwzguy

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 11:20:57 PM

I didn't just make a statement, I explained why my statement was true.

You replied with "your statement is false" without addressing any of the things I said that explain why I believe it to be true.

You didn't hurt my feelings, but why would I bother to spend more time explaining things when you're not even reading or considering what I've already posted? Doesn't seem to be much point in that.
bcpokey

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 12:07:53 AM

I didn't just make a statement, I explained why my statement was true.

You replied with "your statement is false" without addressing any of the things I said that explain why I believe it to be true.

You didn't hurt my feelings, but why would I bother to spend more time explaining things when you're not even reading or considering what I've already posted? Doesn't seem to be much point in that.

I'm not sure you read my post either. Do you know what historical precedent means?

You make points that I address as having already been made, and as such do not require or deserve a specific response. If I need to explain the wheel every time, then I will never get to anything beyond the wheel.

It's fine though, I do not have any specific agenda to explain to you in particular. I merely present information in general, and was utilizing your post as an example. The general concept that I suppose you are unable to wrap your head around, but which I will reiterate for any subsequent reads is simply this: We've experienced a situation very similar to the upcoming switch to ASIC mining before. The losers were those who were unnecessarily bearish and bullish. The winners were those who moved forward in an optimistic, but considered manner.
That would be my advice were you to consider entering or continuing in the world of bitcoin for profit. If you have other reasons, that is entirely separate.
jwzguy

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 12:16:35 AM

No, we haven't - and I explained how the situation was different. The fact that someone previously made an incorrect conclusion that "sounds" similar to my conclusion, based on completely different circumstances and information, is not an argument against what I said.

Furthermore, your comparison of the availability of GPU mining equipment to ASICs equipment is pretty weak, even if what you said was true, but much of it was not, strictly speaking. That still doesn't change the other factors I mentioned, or really alter the basic differences in the situation.

I was initially happy to discuss this, as I think it's a fairly interesting topic, but your treatment really takes away any motivation to go into any detail. Kind of disappointing.

bcpokey

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 05:38:56 AM
Last edit: November 11, 2012, 07:11:47 AM by bcpokey

Perhaps you were expecting a more debate oriented back and forth, I dunno. That's not what I'm here for, but I can oblige just so there are no loose ends, then we can be done.

It seems very unlikely you'll break even on your equipment for a long time. If you do, it will be because you didn't cash out until the exchange rate went up significantly.

You make no definition for "long time". Is 1 day a long time to you, or is 1 year a long time? No one knows what ROI will be, but the most likely scenarios projected by existing supply is 6 months, assuming price remains relatively stable. This is the same ROI most people figure for GPU purchases. So why this is a point of contention is beyond me. You can check this thread and others for calculations of TH coming online from ASICs in the near future to see if you agree with this or not, that is a separate discussion.

I think a lot of new miners (assuming they've read enough to understand what's going on) are counting on this eventuality. However, if your motivation is profit, it makes a lot more sense to buy directly and hold than to put yourself into a hole and hope the price goes up enough so that you get back to 0.

"This eventuality" = Huh Breaking even? Not sure what that even means.
The stale argument for buying coins rather than mining has been refuted ad nauseum, but we can go over it again. Buy coins, price goes down, you lose money. Buy coins, price stays the same, you have coins to either spend or enjoy holding. Buy coins, price goes up, you made a little profit, now you choose to sell or hold and hope for more up, speculation rules the day.
Mine coins, price goes down, mine more coins to break even / profit. Mine coins, price stays the same, reach 0 and begin to profit. Mine coins, price goes up, ROI shortened, profit sooner.
So great, both scenarios carry risk, both provide reward, there is no reason why one is superior to another that you've given. Seems a pointless discussion, given that people are interested at some level by mining, rather than trading.

Addressed the bulk of this above, as you've just restated the point I had no interest in responding to before, as it carries little merit. The only thing I can add to this is that speculative trading on the short term, day-to-day or weekly swings is far riskier than mining. It would make more sense to warn people about the risks of day-trading, than to warn them against mining and suggest they participate in day-trading.

this is a very different situation than the move from CPU->GPU mining. There is both a significant technical and huge logistical barrier to entry with GPU mining - if you've been down that road then you're already aware of this. ASICs are a completely different animal. Not only will they require much less time, space, power - they have a much more limited availability than GPUs did, and at the moment, there is a large gap between the time you place an order and the time you'll receive it. The combination makes for a much less even playing field and an extremely hard-to-predict ROI at the time of order delivery.

I'm not sure I follow this one either. This is different because...? None of what follows supports this argument.
What are the logistical barriers to entry with GPU mining? Having a delivery man deliver your GPU? Putting it into the motherboard? There exists an extensive and well-established system crafted specifically to facilitate the creation, purchase and delivery of GPUs. Unless you are using logistics in some sense I'm not aware of. The technical barriers are not particularly significant either, you need to be basically computer literate, but if you are at the entry level of generating crypto-currency, I imagine you meet this requirement or can quickly do so.
If you are referring to large scale farms of scores of GPUs (which you completely fail to mention), then I suppose I can understand your statement as to difficulty, creating the infrastructure to support this is quite difficult, and this falls directly under my story about the overzealous GPU miner. Since this has been directly addressed I will not go into it further.

As to the second part, ASICs, since they require less time, space and power, that would all seem to suggest that it would REDUCE the difficulty of setting up a small, medium, or large sized mining farm. What is your point then? The difference between then and now is that it is easier to do now? This part makes little to no sense in context of "barrier to entry". Perhaps you mistyped something.

The limitation of availability makes them less available, I again don't see what that has to do with people overzealously purchasing them, or why they should rethink mining because of this. The only way this is a different situation than the limited availability of GPU hardware post bubble is that instead of people paying over inflated prices for second hand hardware in a desperate attempt to get anything is that they will be blocked from purchasing any units at all. This in fact helps protect people with $$ signs in their eyes. Not sure why that is a negative factor again.

Delay of shipping is probably the only point worth addressing, as it is slightly different from the GPU situation, and I suppose deserves some thought for people. Those who are getting in early will reap huge rewards compared to those who get in later. If those who reaped early rewards rebuy in with those profits, it can suppress the expected return for later miners I suppose. However looking at the confirmation of early orders, the TH are spread amongst jalapenos and singles, such that it's clearly small time miners, who are not turning 1 minirig into 2 into 4 into 8, etc., driving difficulty into untouchable regions. Difficulty is likely to peg at around 33mil by the time people who order today receive their rigs, and will not do anything crazy like double in the following few months. ROI is always unknown, but it should be estimable.

I believe I addressed all your points, I hope this has assuaged whatever hurt you've accrued at being ignored. I'm not terribly interested in a reply, so we can end this here, as neither of us seems to feel that the other has provided any salient points of contention. Best of luck to you in your endeavors, see you around the forums.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: