Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:48:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quality of English  (Read 1295 times)
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:24:37 AM

There's been a lot of posts which I've read and asked myself "what"? I've had better luck understand a 2 year old than a LOT of the posts I've read.
If I went to the French section, and started posting in very broken french, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate it, as it lowers the overall quality of their reading daily.

I'm only seeking a solution:

Should I report them?
Should I ignore them?
Should I try my best to try to understand them?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2197

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 10:28:24 AM

I know what you mean and it's horrible, but I don't think that you can report someone because of their shitty English. Best thing you can do is either ignore them, try your best to understand them or try to help them become better at English.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:31:24 AM

I know what you mean and it's horrible, but I don't think that you can report someone because of their shitty English. Best thing you can do is either ignore them, try your best to understand them or try to help them become better at English.

It's just it's not getting any better, at all. Actually, as time goes on it's gotten worse and worse.

I hate to be racist in any regard, but it is degrading the quality of the average post. I did check out the Indian sub-board (I believe most of these posters are Indian or they have a 1st language), and I think it'd be best of a lot of the content was posted there instead.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:32:06 AM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

Broken English is a serious issue when p2p business is done. Escrow borders on being impossible to provide adequately. GTranslate can usually do a superior job if they write in their native language, but OTOH, if they don't write it themselves, it's more difficult to learn. Then again, nobody corrects them because it'd likely end up a flamey thread-jacking where the person correcting is some stuck-up Western asshole (funny part is it usually isn't the person who was corrected who calls them that).

"Do nothing" is the best bet, I guess. Try to understand them or just skip over it if you don't think it's worth reading.

Dunno. I'm pretty grateful when someone corrects my piss-poor Spanish. I don't want to go around telling people to stuff my body into a container of alcohol when I mean to ask where the whiskey is.
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:38:33 AM

Broken English is a serious issue when p2p business is done. Escrow borders on being impossible to provide adequately. GTranslate can usually do a superior job if they write in their native language, but OTOH, if they don't write it themselves, it's more difficult to learn. Then again, nobody corrects them because it'd likely end up a flamey thread-jacking where the person correcting is some stuck-up Western asshole (funny part is it usually isn't the person who was corrected who calls them that).

"Do nothing" is the best bet, I guess. Try to understand them or just skip over it if you don't think it's worth reading.

Dunno. I'm pretty grateful when someone corrects my piss-poor Spanish. I don't want to go around telling people to stuff my body into a container of alcohol when I mean to ask where the whiskey is.

Honestly, I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I was kinda freaking out while writing this topic, being seen as an insensitive, racist, jackass who makes fun of people different than him.

I'll maintain the status of doing nothing about it until there's a better solution >.<

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 11:17:53 AM

There's been a lot of posts which I've read and asked myself "what"? I've had better luck understand a 2 year old than a LOT of the posts I've read.

Be understanding, that's all.

Most of them probably have only studied English for 2 years, so they speak like a 2 year old. If I were to learn and speak their native language, I would be be A LOT worse than them in English.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 11:28:20 AM

Try to see the positive side:

the reason why you see so many non-native speakers around is because Bitcoin has become a global movement, and thus has bitcointalk Wink

Also, why would English be the dominant language at bitcointalk?
As long as there's no English sub-forum, I really don't see a good reason why bad English should be considered an issue.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 12:11:56 PM

Some posts that contain completely broken english (none of the mods or users understand what's written) are deleted. Can't really say specifically, but there was definetely one case that was discussed and it was decided to delete them.

gondel
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 04:32:04 PM

There is people on this forum who really dont know any English. But if English is your mother language it is not for most of the people here. It is not a little effort to speak a foreign language, Try learn  a little Bulgarian and then we talk Cheesy

BR,
Gondel
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 05:52:28 PM

-snip-

Should I report them?
Should I ignore them?

You should try your best to understand "them".

-snip-
I hate to be racist in any regard, but it is degrading the quality of the average post. I did check out the Indian sub-board (I believe most of these posters are Indian or they have a 1st language), and I think it'd be best of a lot of the content was posted there instead.

There is no race of "people that speak english at a level that bluefirecorp is happy with". No reason to be elitist or a grammarnazi either.

Bitcoin is international, so is this board. English is the major language of international communication. You should be happy that it isnt chinese or russian. Think about it the other way around. There is this massiv bitcoin place, where everyone is hanging out and 90% of them speak chinese, but you dont. What would you do? Would you go to the "english subforum" with ~3 posts daily or would you try to get along as best as you can with the little chinese you learned in school?

Your stats smell like you "only" speak english. You should be grateful that so many people all around the world learn your native language.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
HeroC
Legendary

Activity: 858

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:02:09 PM

They aren't breaking any rules, I usually try to help correct them and ask them to try to use proper grammar.
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 07:41:23 PM

-snip-

Should I report them?
Should I ignore them?

You should try your best to understand "them".

-snip-

There is no race of "people that speak english at a level that bluefirecorp is happy with". No reason to be elitist or a grammarnazi either.

Bitcoin is international, so is this board. English is the major language of international communication. You should be happy that it isnt chinese or russian. Think about it the other way around. There is this massiv bitcoin place, where everyone is hanging out and 90% of them speak chinese, but you dont. What would you do? Would you go to the "english subforum" with ~3 posts daily or would you try to get along as best as you can with the little chinese you learned in school?

Your stats smell like you "only" speak english. You should be grateful that so many people all around the world learn your native language.

Actually, I do speak a bit of French. However, it'd be as broken as most people's English (as it's not my native tongue). However, I'm not on the French board posting all the time because I know it'd be rather difficult to understand my posts.

I don't believe I'm being an elitist or a grammar nazi. Honestly, grammatical errors normally don't bother me. It's when the sentences are so screwed up, you have to re-read them about 3-4 times just to get the gist of what they're saying.

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 09:07:50 PM

For what it's worth I don't think it's racist or elitist in any way to have an expectation of understandable English in an English language forum. It's my second (or perhaps third if you count chronologically) language and the same would apply to the other two.

The question then is: how do you express that expectation? I typically ignore posts and PMs that I can't understand, unless there is something that I feel is important, in which case I politely ask to clarify. I switch to a full-on grammar nazi mode if someone publishes a news article or a press release or some other kind of text where the expectation of literacy is - or at least used to be - higher than in your average forum post.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 09:12:18 PM

i'm okay with it, especially if they are using this board to polish their skills. i admit it is hard trying to read through their messages though.
Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2948

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:40:55 PM

How about a "grammar police" in the new forum software? With a preview button to see the before and after such an 'officer' intervened, with the changes being highlighted(this way we can know for sure the message wasn't manipulated in any way). The post would of course have a 'grammar flag' that will bring shame to the poster(maybe making some of them double check their post before hitting "Post").

My mind wanders at times, sorry Smiley.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 10:47:22 PM

How about a "grammar police" in the new forum software? With a preview button to see the before and after such an 'officer' intervened, with the changes being highlighted(this way we can know for sure the message wasn't manipulated in any way). The post would of course have a 'grammar flag' that will bring shame to the poster(maybe making some of them double check their post before hitting "Post").

i think the word "police" does not mesh well with the audience on this forum.. it reminds them of government authority after all.
bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:24:34 AM

This could be actual pretty great. With someone transcribing their message to an actual read-able format. I'll see about adding that as a feature request for the new forum software.

railzand

Activity: 462

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:32:39 AM

If I went to the French section, and started posting in very broken french, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate it, as it lowers the overall quality of their reading daily.

Should I report them?
Should I ignore them?

The quality of your own English is piss poor, chum. Your getting paid to be a sloven is winding me up. Shut up and learn English.

bluefirecorp (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:38:34 AM

Should I report them?
Should I ignore them?

The quality of your own English is piss poor, chum. Your getting paid to be a sloven is winding me up. Shut up and learn English.

It seems as though you're rather angry at me for a silly reason. The quality of my posts are the same, rather it be paid for or not. I mean, I have hundreds, if not thousands of posts on other forums. For example, my reddit posts are the exact same quality. I gain absolutely nothing from them (except someone did gift me gold one time, which was nice):

http://www.reddit.com/u/bluefirecorp

Actually, looking at the posts there compared to here, I do seem to put a bit more effort into the posts here. Maybe because I am being paid for them, which means a higher level of scrutiny to them.

I'm fairly certain that I know English rather well. I have a pretty deep knowledge of both British and American English, as I've studied them for quite some time (14 years now). I tend to keep it simple, and to the point for the sake of others.

railzand

Activity: 462

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:52:13 AM

Any anger stems less from your being paid than from your hypocrisy. Your posts are littered with errors and lapses in syntax, spelling ffs and colloquialism.
You may have been studying for years, but you've a long way to go.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: