Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:39:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ownership/legal aspects of Bitcoin Stocks  (Read 935 times)
WestChi (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2014, 03:06:59 PM

I have been researching bitcoin stocks and related stock exchanges.  I have tried a number of them and currently own some stock on various exchanges.  There is an unclear ownership status of shareholders.  These are the general categories of ownership I have found:

1) Unknown - Not addressed at all
2) Share of ownership in the company - traditional ownership, is it legally binding? any recourse to claim assets?
3) Revenue share - Share of income produced by the entity but no ownership.  Revenue based funding is becoming popular in traditional startup funding.  But again is it legally binding? any recourse to claim assets?
4) Project based funding - Mining operations and gambling sites are common.  But again is it legally binding? any recourse to claim assets?

Can any one provide any legal guidance for US based companies and exchanges?  What are their structures? There doesn't seem to be many formal corporations.  Many of those are overseas countries.  Reviewing expenses I haven't come across any tax expenses.

I have asked a few, however I am still awaiting responses.  Contact information can be difficult to find as well.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Keyser Soze

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2014, 04:18:16 PM

I have been researching bitcoin stocks and related stock exchanges.  I have tried a number of them and currently own some stock on various exchanges.  There is an unclear ownership status of shareholders.  These are the general categories of ownership I have found:

1) Unknown - Not addressed at all
2) Share of ownership in the company - traditional ownership, is it legally binding? any recourse to claim assets?
3) Revenue share - Share of income produced by the entity but no ownership.  Revenue based funding is becoming popular in traditional startup funding.  But again is it legally binding? any recourse to claim assets?
4) Project based funding - Mining operations and gambling sites are common.  But again is it legally binding? any recourse to claim assets?

Can any one provide any legal guidance for US based companies and exchanges?  What are their structures? There doesn't seem to be many formal corporations.  Many of those are overseas countries.  Reviewing expenses I haven't come across any tax expenses.

I have asked a few, however I am still awaiting responses.  Contact information can be difficult to find as well.

Anything listed on an existing bitcoin exchange is not compliant with US security laws. Asset issuers located elsewhere may be violating their own country's laws as well, but some may be located in countries without securities laws.

Based on the history of what I've seen in this section and on the exchanges, you will have a hard time getting any recourse if something goes wrong.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: