Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:23:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What I like..and don't like...about Bitcoin.  (Read 965 times)
vn10vn (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:27:33 PM

I will say what I don't like first. I don't like the hype that it's going to equalize wealth in the world because I know that will never happen.
I don't like political motivations for it.
I don't like the fees to fund an account with fiat and withdraw.
And I don't like that it's not as safe/secure from hacking as it could be, and you can wake up one morning and your life savings is gone.

What I like about Bitcoin:
I like the way you can instantly send money to anyone, anywhere and check the transaction in the blockchain.
I like the thought of paying for everything in bitcoin, so I dont need to carry a wallet with cash and credit cards, debit cards, etc everywhere and also my phone. I can just carry my phone. One thing, and do anything with it.
I like that I can spend and make money without it being monitored by people in power who are corrupt and only want to take money from me which I earned simply because they are in power and it is a tradition for people in power to take money from people who are not.
I like the novelty of it.

When it comes down to it, you are dreaming if you think digital currency is going to replace banks anytime soon. Banks have been around for centuries securing money and they do it well. And I think no one in this forum can argue that they would feel safer storing dollars in a bank than bitcoins in awallet. That's the biggest weak point for digital currency. Overcome the risk factor, and I think you will have no more resistance from critics.

serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:50:24 PM

I will say what I don't like first. I don't like the hype that it's going to equalize wealth in the world because I know that will never happen.
I don't like political motivations for it.
I don't like the fees to fund an account with fiat and withdraw.
And I don't like that it's not as safe/secure from hacking as it could be, and you can wake up one morning and your life savings is gone.

1. Never say never. History is full of the short sighted and those without vision who were convinced something couldn't possibly happen due to some rule of authority, and yet, empires have collapsed, markets have emerged, religion is being dismantled and discarded, space travel - not just "to the moon" but right now, right this minute, commercial fun trips to space courtesy of Virgin Galactic, 3D printing becoming a thing, 3D printed body parts, cloning, virtual reality...or...evolution of medicine from "demon based" bs...happens every day.

2. There are a number of motivations for it. You're free to choose your own.

3. Circle appears to be positioning itself to pioneer the totally free option solving that very issue. If they are as successful as many expect, others will copy the model and you'll have plenty of options to avoid any fees at all.

4. Bitcoin returns the power and the responsibility to the user to handle security. Nobody owes you a security blanket or a pacifier. It's up to you and only you to learn and control your security yourself.

Bitcoin is for grown ups...the era of coddling fearful children is coming to an end.

When it comes down to it, you are dreaming if you think digital currency is going to replace banks anytime soon. Banks have been around for centuries securing money and they do it well. And I think no one in this forum can argue that they would feel safer storing dollars in a bank than bitcoins in awallet. That's the biggest weak point for digital currency. Overcome the risk factor, and I think you will have no more resistance from critics.

It's probably not going to happen in the next 3-5 years but what IS going to happen is mainstream adoption in the next 2 years...and once it's become as ubiquitous as the internet then yes, it absolutely will be used as the personal reserves across the planet. That is the exquisite moment that is missed in the paradigm who feels at the mercy of some government agency. Once mass adoption happens, people have a choice and any government wanting to bow up will only shorten its life expectancy as people vote with THEIR OWN money and use bitcoin more than the other...which would then begin to lose its value.

Banks have been around but banks became criminal operations the second the gold standard was nixed.

What you miss here is that there are no physical items being stored in digital banks. It's no more and no less than numbers in a public ledger. Like Jeremy A explained, you exchange fiat currency for slots in that ledger worth a certain value - hence the "coin" - and zip the transaction from point A to point B like email. The end recipient can exchange the obtained units back their own currency (or not). Nothing is being held in a digital bank. The whole foundation of bitcoin is the blockchain which is wide open.

These bank like services are just bridges from your brick and mortar bank to exchange fiat for bitcoin (slots on the blockchain)...but your bank operates pretty much the same way. You don't actually have physical dollars in your account like you would in a piggy bank. Your bank uses a digital ledger and moves debits and credits around exactly the same with one exception: you don't get to see it ever, and when you're not using your cash, they are. 

It's up to you to move your money out of the exchange (which just trades fiat for bitcoin (slots on the blockchain) which are secured by the private keys, which you should move to a wallet of some sort and apply your own security protocols.

That's the scariest part but it's the part that needs to happen because it empowers people, it slaps them in the head and forces them to learn how to take back personal responsibility for their wealth, and once they figure out the wallet obstacle, they are empowered and they are on the way to remembering (or learning at all) what actual freedom feels like.

And when enough people have done that, no bank, government or military in the world is going to stop it because all of those things are made up of individual people who get paid in the same devalued, debt based currency that forces them to bust their ass for less to feed their own masters and eventually they'll opt out of that when they see the big sinking ship they're on is a death trap.

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
serenitys

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 04:40:28 AM

I am one...and full blown anarchist Smiley

I didn't say it wouldn't be challenging...but it's doable.

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 06:01:24 AM

I forgot one thing I don't like about coin:  You have to keep moving funds to new addresses (which costs .0001 fee), otherwise anybody who does a transaction with you can see your balance in the chain. Am I wrong about that?

Partially. Look into the difference between addresses and wallets.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 06:44:54 AM

It is simply not true that it is easy to hack and you can just wake up to all your money gone.  If this was the case, don't you think every hacker in the world would have gotten a piece of Satoshi's billions?  The only way for your bitcoins to be stolen is if you give away your private keys or your computer becomes infected with malware, both of which are normally user-error.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2014, 04:51:39 PM

@vn10vn

i guess you will like circle then  Cheesy

serenitys

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 23, 2014, 05:21:39 PM

For me:

What I like:

Everything

What I don't like:

Learning curve

I was going to say the wait time for coinbase and the private info to faceless entities in other nations but that's not really a bitcoin issue. It's an infrastructure issue.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: