Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:17:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mtgox has some serious issue  (Read 1899 times)
piotr_n (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 09:44:49 PM

I was watching this today, and I'm sure many of you as well.
MtGox was processing transactions - someone was buying tons on bitcoins, so obviously there were many database records to process - but the tickers (the so-called API) was not updated in the realtime!
It was like showing 5.60 while the price was already at 6 - for minutes, not seconds.
It's just not right.
If someone had an insight info into the actual ticker - is was a fraud.
And I know some people who did Smiley
So I can only hope that this was an accident.
Though, it's still wrong.
Dont you think?

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 09:46:15 PM

THis has happened in the past where MtGox auto-halts trading in the event of a large market movement to avoid a repeat of what happened last June.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
piotr_n (OP)
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 09:48:24 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2012, 10:06:18 PM by piotr_n

yes, but this time the trading was not halted. it was perfectly going on - the price was changing on the market and the transactions were being processed. people were byuing and selling bitcoins for a price that was much, much different from the actual ticker price.
because the tickers were not being updated - for minutes!
and since during these minutes there was such a big spike, it could have been a fraud Smiley
dont you think?

i mean, and i know about programming, how hard is it to make sure that the ticker price always represents the latest price?
it's not a lot of data to send through.
so either some developer really screwed it up badly - or it was a fraud Smiley
is there a third option?

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 10:05:18 PM

There seems to be two sets of data, realtime api and poll api and there was a mismatch between the two.
ForceField
aka Vitaliy

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 10:06:17 PM

According to Mt. Gox's Vol/Price graph, everything seems to be normal for today:

PC Hardware & Electronics For BTC     Traded w/: Kansattica | jduck1987 | shakaru | newdude | nitetrader | midievil | blo8i | mb300sd | juggalodarkclow | Garr255 | Tril | Ringmasta | SysRun | CrazyBlane | sokay | BCB | str4wm4n | PinkBatman | Bitobsessed | matauc12 | antimattercrusader | BryanK
piotr_n (OP)
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 10:07:19 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2012, 12:46:57 AM by piotr_n

According to Mt. Gox's Vol/Price graph, everything seems to be normal for today
I'm guessing this chart has the lowest priority, so they will update it in a few hours or so Smiley

ForceField
aka Vitaliy

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 10:15:16 PM
Last edit: February 01, 2012, 10:35:03 PM by Vitaliy

I'm guessing this chart has the lowest priority, so they will update it in a few hours or so Smiley

That's certainly the last time I'm using their charts as an indicator. At least their trade price is updated.

PC Hardware & Electronics For BTC     Traded w/: Kansattica | jduck1987 | shakaru | newdude | nitetrader | midievil | blo8i | mb300sd | juggalodarkclow | Garr255 | Tril | Ringmasta | SysRun | CrazyBlane | sokay | BCB | str4wm4n | PinkBatman | Bitobsessed | matauc12 | antimattercrusader | BryanK
take5

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2012, 11:20:48 PM

Thanks for clearing this up. I was already considering moving my MtGox funds to bitcioinica, and I thought there was something funky going on. No way I'm using gox now.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:17:49 AM

Thanks for clearing this up. I was already considering moving my MtGox funds to bitcioinica, and I thought there was something funky going on. No way I'm using gox now.

out of the frying pan and into the fire, isn't it?
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 12:41:52 AM

There seems to be two sets of data, realtime api and poll api and there was a mismatch between the two.

Yeah, and the worst part is that MtGox declares the better one (realtime) to be "beta" so they don't have to support it if it doesn't work for some users.  Very frustrating.

They need to lift the 10-second-caching rule on the polling API until the streaming API is considered stable.  If that means buying more servers, so be it.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 01:03:46 PM

Yeah, and the worst part is that MtGox declares the better one (realtime) to be "beta" so they don't have to support it if it doesn't work for some users.  Very frustrating.

They need to lift the 10-second-caching rule on the polling API until the streaming API is considered stable.  If that means buying more servers, so be it.

I got caught up in this. A little annoying although I'm glad that this time round my failed API-related trades weren't too significant in volume during this time.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
antares

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 04:00:52 PM

THis has happened in the past where MtGox auto-halts trading in the event of a large market movement to avoid a repeat of what happened last June.

I watched the whole thing live.
I was seeing the spike in mtgoxlive, tried to get better positions in my mtgox account.
then mtgox went down, and I was like blind. I wasnt sure the last data I had seen in goxlive was accurate, and mtgox itself didnt show it correctly.
then, when mtgoxlive came back, I saw the spike to 6.20, which gradually was removed from goxlive(for a short time the high dropped down to 5.74, the spike was purged from the price history.

While I acknowledge mtgox taking security measures to prevent loss, this situation is kind of hard for users. I mean, you sit ducks there, being blind during a major market event. But I wont blame gox this time.
someone703

Activity: 943
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 06:20:32 PM

Then does anyone have recommendation for a site with a real time ticker that's more accurate?

Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2012, 12:07:44 AM

Then does anyone have recommendation for a site with a real time ticker that's more accurate?

For those who are good at PHP development, I have a suggestion, from what you're all saying, the orderbook when accessed through the main site will always be up to date.

It wont be hard to set your session timeout to the max and use some sort of Curl script with a post to send your login details and maintain an actively connected session through the usual page. You can then get your script to poll every X seconds to retrieve the prices out of the correct positions on the page (cut it out using some regex etc...).

If we get no response from Mtgox, when I get some time, I'll code this up and share it. Any suggestions from other devs would be good.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 12:24:28 AM

I watched the whole thing live.
I was seeing the spike in mtgoxlive, tried to get better positions in my mtgox account.
then mtgox went down, and I was like blind. I wasnt sure the last data I had seen in goxlive was accurate, and mtgox itself didnt show it correctly.
then, when mtgoxlive came back, I saw the spike to 6.20, which gradually was removed from goxlive(for a short time the high dropped down to 5.74, the spike was purged from the price history.

While I acknowledge mtgox taking security measures to prevent loss, this situation is kind of hard for users. I mean, you sit ducks there, being blind during a major market event. But I wont blame gox this time.

Ive seen it handfuls of times before as well.  I blame MtGox 100%
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: