Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:38:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin protocol cant be hacked. but FIAT can  (Read 1837 times)
Pobre

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

HEy Hey HEY??

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 12:55:38 PM

I don't see how that would make the fiat "protocol" hackable. ATMs got hacked, not the fiat. Same thing as supposedly happened with MtGox, they got hacked, not "bitcoin."

As far as "hacking" a protocol:

1. Dollar bills can be counterfeited, and bitcoins can't.
2. Bank ledgers can have errors, bitcoin ledger can't.
But the thing is that the bank ledger errors can be corrected and fake dollar bills can also be destroyed if you keep your EYES open. But you can instantly loose your bitcoins by loosing your wallet and the backup. I've seen many people loosing their bitcoins because of deletion of the wallets. We need to come up with something more safe for the bitcoins.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
↑ UpDown.BT ↓  Bet on Gold/Oil/Currencies like a Boss ↑ [Thread] ↓
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
ipnone5only

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:20:18 PM

Everything is hackable. Until that day it mains relatively safe!
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:27:59 PM

I don't see how that would make the fiat "protocol" hackable. ATMs got hacked, not the fiat. Same thing as supposedly happened with MtGox, they got hacked, not "bitcoin."

As far as "hacking" a protocol:

1. Dollar bills can be counterfeited, and bitcoins can't.
2. Bank ledgers can have errors, bitcoin ledger can't.
But the thing is that the bank ledger errors can be corrected and fake dollar bills can also be destroyed if you keep your EYES open. But you can instantly loose your bitcoins by loosing your wallet and the backup. I've seen many people loosing their bitcoins because of deletion of the wallets. We need to come up with something more safe for the bitcoins.

Like...what?

sleepygeekygeek

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:54:23 PM

How long do u think before bitcoin is hacked??  If I were the bankers I would throw a trillion into mining and commit a 51 precept attack...
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 08:58:18 PM

How long do u think before bitcoin is hacked??  If I were the bankers I would throw a trillion into mining and commit a 51 precept attack...

and then how long would it be before bitcoin 2.0 comes out with a different proof of work hash, using a copy of the blockchain right before the attack?

moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:38:33 PM

This guy counterfeited untold multi millions in US currency. He handed over $250 million but ran this operation for years
http://abc7news.com/news/master-money-counterfeiter-prints-millions-says-screw-you-to-us/51231/

At least you can't counterfeit bitcoins.
sleepygeekygeek

Activity: 24

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 09:55:23 PM

So

and then how long would it be before bitcoin 2.0 comes out with a different proof of work hash, using a copy of the blockchain right before the attack?

So I should invest in a POS coin or bitcoin 2.0? When the day a 51 percent attack happens all that wealth will funnel out and into other crypto..
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2014, 10:07:03 PM

So

So I should invest in a POS coin or bitcoin 2.0? When the day a 51 percent attack happens all that wealth will funnel out and into other crypto..

Some money will be funneled out.  How much is anyone's guess.  You should invest in bitcoin.
If that huge attack ever happens, it is almost certain a bitcoin 2.0 will arise quickly, preserving
most of the wealth.  But the fact that wealth can be transferred to a new fork or to another coin
is a huge disincentive for the attack to ever happen in the first place.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2014, 10:18:24 PM

Mostly agree, but let me play devils advocate.

Banks spend millions on security.....
Average user PC is vulnerable.
Have this conversation again in 18 months, and Banks will still be spending millions of their worthless fiat, but the average Bitcoin user will be totally invulnerable to theft.

You can quote me on that.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Satan666

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

The love of fiat is the root of all good

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:13:58 PM

Have this conversation again in 18 months, and Banks will still be spending millions of their worthless fiat, but the average Bitcoin user will be totally invulnerable to theft.

Done.  See you in 18 months.  Smiley
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:23:03 PM

So

Some money will be funneled out.  How much is anyone's guess.  You should invest in bitcoin.
If that huge attack ever happens, it is almost certain a bitcoin 2.0 will arise quickly, preserving
most of the wealth.  But the fact that wealth can be transferred to a new fork or to another coin
is a huge disincentive for the attack to ever happen in the first place.

The ability to fork the block chain makes a 51% attack a waste of time and resources. They could mess with the protocol for a whole ten minutes before it is discovered and forked.

rhino34567

Activity: 288

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:35:02 PM

Done.  See you in 18 months.  Smiley
Haha, let me double quote that for you. Looking forward to the next year and a half.  Wink

redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:20:31 PM

There are a million stories on this forum, reddit, and elsewhere on why its a terrible idea for most people to "be their own bank".
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:26:31 PM

There are a million stories on this forum, reddit, and elsewhere on why its a terrible idea for most people to "be their own bank".

what do you think is the solution?

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:26:39 PM

Mostly agree, but let me play devils advocate.

Banks spend millions on security.....
Average user PC is vulnerable.

Your turn :-)

I agree with you there.   I don't think there really is a way to be 100% secure, you just have to try your best on both BTC and fiat to be as safe as possible...  
franky1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 09:27:26 PM

Well suppose ive btc in my external haqd drive and i keep my fiat in the bank. now telling from my personal experience, ive never seen anything happening to the fiat i have but a month ago my little brother formatted the hard drive and i didnt have any backup for that wallet and so i lost all my coin. thats why i prefer fiat

1. get off this forum if your not into bitcoin Cheesy (joke)
2. your story is not about bitcoin protocol hacking. your story is about user error. same thing can happen if your brother cut up your bank card, ID and birth certificate.. without other copies of your ID your bank wont give you cash Cheesy

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:11:16 PM

I don't have one, was just pointing that out. Most Bitcoiners trumpet that as an advantage, but for most people it may not be.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:33:03 PM

I don't have one, was just pointing that out. Most Bitcoiners trumpet that as an advantage, but for most people it may not be.

you're right... i think multisig + hardware is the only way... because most people are morons, not crypto-nerds.

franky1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:04:13 AM

you're right... i think multisig + hardware is the only way... because most people are morons, not crypto-nerds.

same goes for the fiat side. there are alot of morons that leave their cash and debit cards in full view inside their car. easy to steal
alot of people get pick pocketed every day
card cloning.
diverted mail
work from home scams asking for upfront payments (multilevel (pyramid) schemes)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 12:23:22 AM

Pretty simple. Be responsible for your own stuff. If you can't do that you will end up losing it eventually anyway.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: