Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:26:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad GPU Core? (Sort of long post)  (Read 1483 times)
someone703 (OP)

Activity: 943
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 06:17:58 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2012, 06:32:13 AM by someone703

Got 2x5970; a Diamond and a Sapphire card.

Diamond is definitely working fine.

The Sapphire seems to be giving me issues.

Tested my PCI-e slots by swapping the Diamond card around so they're fine.  1200W PSU so it's not a power issue.

Did a fresh install of Windows to be sure.

I can boot into Safe Mode fine with both cards in.

Safe Mode Device Manager shows this (before installing Catalyst):

I was able to boot into Windows fine without Catalyst Control Center and drivers installed.

After installing Catalyst + drivers, my screen just went completely black with a blinking underscore cursor.

If I try to restart it'll just either hang at the Windows loading screen or just say that there's no signal getting to my monitor.

Device manager shows this (after Catalyst installed):

Anyone experience similar issues before?  Is the Sapphire card bad?  Or is it because I don't have a Crossfire cable/dummy plug set up?

Bought it off a guy on Craiglist (non-local so I used PayPal).  Tried texting the guy to see if he has a receipt and whether or not the warranty would still be valid if it's the card.  Haven't heard back yet so will give him a bit before I decide whether to dispute with PayPal or not.

----

I've been messing around with it for several hours and I'm kinda annoyed since I didn't get any mining done today with just the solo card.

Pretty sure if I remove the Sapphire it'll boot fine.  Will try and remove all the drivers again, pull out the Diamond, and install Catalyst with just the Sapphire but I think I already tried that but will again to be sure.

Edit:  Yup, booted fine to Windows, after installing Catalyst and restarting it hung at Windows loading screen...  Was able to boot into Safe Mode fine right after though.  Is it a driver or hardware issue?

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 10:15:00 AM

Driver version?
I've had a similiar problem (BSOD at startup) with earlier versions of drivers (11.9 fixed this- if I remember correctly).

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
someone703 (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2012, 11:42:06 PM

Just got home and tried Catalyst 11.9.

Still no go...

Will try and use Drive Sweeper and give it another go.

Sapphire BIOS: 012.013.000.002.034996

Will check the Diamond one after.

TheHarbinger

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 12:19:08 AM

Looks like one of the GPU cores is a dud.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
someone703 (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 12:35:08 AM

Damn, that's kinda what I was thinking too but was hoping it might be a BIOS thing.

Seller responded and said if I send it back he won't have any problem with me doing a chargeback on the payment.  Not sure why he wouldn't just let me get some info to RMA it with Sapphire but that's his prerogative.

2 options now I suppose:

1.  Send it back; look for another 5970 or wait for 7990.

2.  Try and troubleshoot it with Sapphire warranty support (without a receipt) and see if they'd let me RMA & what kind of fee they'd charge (and be short a card for 2 weeks or so).  Although I'm paranoid he might already be in their system and it'd send up a flag if I tried to submit a ticket with the serial number lol.

dmcurser

Activity: 502
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 03:43:25 AM

they charge a 15 fee for processing and i was give an expected turn around time of 3-6 weeks just mailed 4 cards to them monday

1Q7TPBHHVmGCvqffYHpXCCBgbcBQ4NwXdW
Starcraftman

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2012, 07:17:11 AM

Yea I had the EXACT same symptoms as you, except it was with a sapphire 5830. Turned out to be a dead card.  Sad I think that is just how sapphire cards behave when they die...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: