Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:25:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind generator 2kW for €2000 - is it worth it?  (Read 5463 times)
malevolent (OP)
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 07:27:08 PM

I found this:

http://allegro.pl/wiatrak-2kw-elektrownia-turbina-wiatrowa-generator-i2040125481.html

It is supposed to deliver 2kW of power and it costs ~€2000. AFAIK all wind generation is only used because it is heavily subsidized by governments but maybe this would be of better use? It probably depends where one lives, I have a house by the Baltic sea, maybe I should buy this generator and place my rigs there?

Signature space available for rent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AniceInovation
Donator

Activity: 446
Merit: 262

Interesting.

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 08:26:09 PM

Those tecnologies (renovable energies) require a study to understand if they are worth it or not.
Do you live in a windy location?
Is your electricity expensive?
If the idea is to sell the produced electricity, how much does your electricity company pays you?
Will you install it high enough?

Just a small set of questions, should be way more detailed Smiley
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 08:31:25 PM

It delivers UP TO  2KW.  How much it will deliver depends on how much wind you receive per year.

It is possible to have a 2 KW wind turbine produce 0 kWh.

Even in the best locations (nearly continuously windy) on massive powers with giant 20 MW turbines you are lucky to get 20% capacity factor.  Thus a 2KW unit would (under the best realistic conditions) deliver the equivalent of 400W continually.  It won't be continuous.  Sometimes it will be 2KW, sometimes 100W, sometimes 0W, sometimes 1.2KW, etc but it will average out to (capacity factor)*(nameplate rating).  Under less optimal conditions it might deliver half that or even 10% of that.   If your average sustained winds are high enough to turn the turbine (yes turbines have a min wind requirement) it is possible it will never deliver a single kwh despite it being windy everyday.

Once again mining has NOTHING to do w/ renewable energy.  IF that turbine makes sense well it STILL makes sense even if you own no rigs and if it doesn't make sense it still doesn't make sense even if you own 1TH of rigs.
tonto

Activity: 609
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 10:14:54 PM

I've thought long and hard about this over the past few years.

An "ideal" setup, to me, would include solar and wind.  Typically the days that it's cloudy, there's also a breeze.   On the bright sunny days where there's a high over your area and no wind, solar would be best.  And then a combination thereof for just all-around good green energy.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2012, 10:48:00 PM

Everything depends on location and subsidies.  In some places there is enough sunlight to make things ideal, just as in some locations there is ideal wind.  Most locations do not have both.  Right now the most cost effective is solar for small users, and wind for big users.  Small wind turbines may work, and their owners may love them, but they scale down pretty poorly.  The maintenance on the smaller ones is much greater then on the bigger ones.  They really need to be on a very tall tower to work well, so unless you are in an unusually windy location they are a bad idea.  

Solar keeps coming down in price and in the USA where your power is over 20 cents a KWh, you are in a sunny location, and there are 20% greater subsidies you should consider it.  It is now greater then a 6% return, and if the money is not borrowed and would have been in savings it acts as 'tax free' income by replacing a post tax expense for most people.  

So if you are in southern CA and have the money already it is a good deal for solar.  

I am sure if you did the math, and related this to mining, you would be better off buying FPGA equipment to save power, vs solar to generate it.  

For the Baltic sea area I would say buy FPGA unless there is a big subsidy and you are in a windy area.

us11csalyer

Activity: 266
Merit: 12

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 11:01:05 PM

The best way to go if you have the know how is to build your own wind turbine and buy professional blades if you lack engineering skills. Build your "windmill" and then pay a company to install/setup the wiring and equipment inside your house. I have seen farmers do this and they have built 30+KW/h out of material they had lying around. Of course the only part they bought pre-built was the actual generator that the turbine spins.

Electricbees

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
February 03, 2012, 11:23:44 PM

The best way to go if you have the know how is to build your own wind turbine and buy professional blades if you lack engineering skills. Build your "windmill" and then pay a company to install/setup the wiring and equipment inside your house. I have seen farmers do this and they have built 30+KW/h out of material they had lying around. Of course the only part they bought pre-built was the actual generator that the turbine spins.
+1
It makes things a lot cheaper for you in the end if you can do some of the building yourself. It is possible to do solar/wind at a lot cheaper than boxed prices if you know how to do some wiring and building yourself.

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3
us11csalyer

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 12:35:08 AM

+1
It makes things a lot cheaper for you in the end if you can do some of the building yourself. It is possible to do solar/wind at a lot cheaper than boxed prices if you know how to do some wiring and building yourself.

And there are designs for wind mills that give plenty of tolerance to balance, wind speed. Such as the VAWTS design.

RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 12:50:19 AM

I don't know where you are, but it is likely that there are regulations that will get in the way of you just erecting an enormous wind turbine in your back yard. Your neighbors aren't going to want a 24/7 small helicopter running next door.
us11csalyer

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 12:55:34 AM

VAWTS design typically are legal inside city limits. We live on the out side of the city limits.

ZodiacDragon84

The king and the pawn go in the same box @ endgame

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 01:41:50 AM

or use wind, and fpga!

Looking for a quick easy mining solution? Check out
www.bitminter.com

See my trader rep at Bitcoinfeedback.com
!
ummas

Activity: 274

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 02:22:29 AM

Proponowałbym nie kupować tego "wiatraka".
1. podejrzanie za tani.
2. w cenie nie ma masztu - może dlatego tani.
3. najpierw proponuje kupić stację pogodową z prędkościomierzem wiatru i ustawić na maszcie prowizorce w celu przemierzenia prędkości - możliwości ładowania.

Poza sama turbiną, potrzebujesz jeszcze: maszt, akumulatory, przetwornice sinusoidalną, automat do przełanczania pomiędzy wiatrakiem a elektrownią (tzw. zatrzask).
Dodatkowo, mając dom nad morzem, możesz postawić maszt i cieszyć się energią wiatrową, ale musisz liczyć się z tym, że masz, który ma podstawę betonową, musi posiadać zezwolenie z miasta na budowę. W zależności od lokalnych ustaleń, o takie pozwolenie trudniej lub łatwiej.
Najważniejsza sprawa: zatrzask - nie wiem jak będzie wpływał na pracę komputera, możliwe, że będzie konieczny jeszcze UPS.

Temat przestudiowałem po laicku 2 lata temu i juz miałem kupować, ale okazało się, że nie warto... jeśli chcesz podyskutować na ten temat, wyslij mi PM Cheesy
malevolent (OP)
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 02:32:43 AM

Dzieki za rzeczowa odpowiedz, ja wlasnie dopiero niedawno sie tym zainteresowalem ;-)
Cena tez mi sie rzucila w oczy, bo te 'duze' wiatraki kosztuje zazwyczaj ok. 20 mln (mialem zaproszenie pol roku do wspolinwestowania w firme stawiajaca takie wiatraki).
Hmm.. w ogole nie wiedzialem, ze takich pozwolen trzeba, mozliwe ze mialbym mozliwosc wydzierzawienia powierzchni dachu na w apartamentowcu (znam wlascicielke), moze bez podstawy betonowej gdyby postawic nie bedzie problemow? Bede musial zglebic temat.

Signature space available for rent.
us11csalyer

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 04:29:19 AM

Tu istnieje wiele firmą mogą zainstalować wszystko, czego potrzebujesz do pożądanego wiatraka. Droższe, ale masz instalację jakości i zostanie objęte ubezpieczeniem.

PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2012, 04:42:27 AM

Be aware that it's going to cost a heap to install and get electrically certified - I wouldn't expect this to be a "plug in" model.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: