Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:44:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should the price of the machines at www.bc-mining.com be lower?
Yes
No
Who cares?

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Introducing] The Bitcoin Mining Authority  (Read 8883 times)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 12:29:30 AM

please link lower prices.

bitcoinrigs.com's "Professional Rig": $1 more expensive than your cheapest model (which seems equivalent - both use one 6990).

However... their cheapest model is only $899.

Took me twenty seconds in Google. I used "mining rig site:bitcoin.org" to search, and clicked on the first link.
bitcoinrigs.com model is far superior, with a larger power supply and room for a third video card. That alone is worth far more than "free shipping".

Or compare their dual 5870 to your single 6990. The dual 5870 will hash faster and is $600 cheaper!

Buy & Hold

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 01:51:36 AM

Seriously people, how is my service any different then bitcoin rigs except that its cheaper because I offer free shipping? Why is everyone hell bent on sinking my ship before it sets sail instead of offering constructive advice to a member of the community?

And the plan is to accept bitcoins as payment as well. we should roll that out in a few days if this hostility doesn't kill the service first.

Heheh..don't let people get to you man. Do not worry, just do your thing as honestly and as frank as possible and let the chips fall where they may. But yeah dude you should definitely accept bitcoins. Many people here have a nice chunk of coins and they'd probably want to reinvest them in a good mining rig.

Another bit of advice, why not sell the rigs with one of those 4U rackmount cases. You can find them on newegg for like $74. The HAF X is a good case but it's overkill I think for a miner with EXTERNALLY exhausting cooling. If you were putting in there two internally exhausting cards then yeah I'd understand the need for massive airflow, but for a dedicated miner I think it's not necessary to go with such an expensive and high-end case. Sure a few people will buy it for the e-peen effect, but the serious miners/investors can build a much cheaper system on their own.

The only think you should not skimp on in my opinion is the power supply. The system must have a solid power supply with as high of an efficiency level as you can afford.

As for the SSD, just go for the cheapest SSD possible. That way it lowers the overall system price and gives you a bit more room for your markup charge.

Just my own 2 bitcoin cents worth Smiley..

Cheers!

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 01:53:39 AM

please link lower prices.

bitcoinrigs.com's "Professional Rig": $1 more expensive than your cheapest model (which seems equivalent - both use one 6990).

However... their cheapest model is only $899.

Took me twenty seconds in Google. I used "mining rig site:bitcoin.org" to search, and clicked on the first link.
bitcoinrigs.com model is far superior, with a larger power supply and room for a third video card. That alone is worth far more than "free shipping".

Or compare their dual 5870 to your single 6990. The dual 5870 will hash faster and is $600 cheaper!

I agree. Using first generation hardware = expensive. You pay a ridiculous premium for the "privilege" of using the absolute most high end video card ATI has to offer.

A far cheaper solution is to collect a bunch of 5870s. One can search one's own local auction or classifieds sites. There are plenty of good deals on 5870s! Just the other day I picked up TWO of them for $300 CAD!!! So as the old saying goes, look and ye shall find.

Anonymous

April 22, 2011, 02:04:16 AM

apple v's microsoft.

Smiley

Imagine what it would cost to mine with that lol
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 02:38:34 AM

I'd post pictures of probably the "cheapest" mining hardware going but it would freak too many people out what you can get away with on the hardware side ... and set bad examples ... in my defence, it is a prototype.

mjsbuddha (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 02:39:49 AM

Thanks guys. Finally some constructive feedback. It would seem people are more interested in cheap mining systems then well made mining systems... I will adapt accordingly.
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 02:43:01 AM

Thanks guys. Finally some constructive feedback. It would seem people are more interested in cheap mining systems then well made mining systems... I will adapt accordingly.

Naturally. The name of the game is profit margins.

xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 02:43:50 AM

Well Made Mining Rig = Cheap

Anything else isn't a mining rig.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 02:50:15 AM

can the SSD.  I use laptop sata hard drives in some of my dedicated mining rigs.  I pull the DVD drive out or at least the power plug when done loading. 

Using 1gb ram, 1 slowish laptop hard drive, and a single core CPU with a dual x16 slot MB and dual video cards is a dedicated mining rig, where the job of hashes is king and one does not care about user level system response.  You do not do anything bad that would actually slow down the hash rate, but you do nothing more then required IF it takes more power OR adds more cost.

If I was using it as a desktop on the side the machine would be different but then it would not be a dedicated mining rig.

mjsbuddha (OP)

yung lean

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 02:59:03 AM

Well here I was worried about releasing a product that would be perceived as cheap. I might as well put my personal system up for sale which has 2 used 5970's in a 4u case and keep these nice systems I built for myself Tongue
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 03:09:51 AM

Well here I was worried about releasing a product that would be perceived as cheap. I might as well put my personal system up for sale which has 2 used 5970's in a 4u case and keep these nice systems I built for myself Tongue

Well, I don't want to tell you your business but the gamer's rice-rocket, flash-splash gaming rigs probably not gonna work so well for profitable bitcoin mining ... it may look good but you'll be throwing money down a hole spending it on hardware accessories besides the GPU/CPU combo. Longevity, reliability is an economic driver but only needs to be as good as to get to next generation, don't think anyone knows exactly when that is ... better off putting some expense into some kind of PCI-e expansion and power supply upgrade options to get more kit in that fine tower box you're selling.

I think PCI-e extender/riser cabling should be a profitable business, (I want some).

Nice looking rigs you got there though.

allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 03:10:47 AM

Yes you should Smiley I'd buy one for sure Wink..if you let me pay you in bitcoins that is Wink...

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 03:27:46 AM

you should really change the title for your topic. your business is not the authority of anything.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 04:37:34 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2011, 04:56:57 AM by nster

To the OP, from post # 33 I have been constructive and more helpful, it does not seem you have seen them. Remember that what bothers me is the claim of being the cheapest out there. I HATE false advertisment. All you did is being 1 $ cheaper then bitcoinrigs, but you did not consider other places like ibuypower etc. Also not that in post #33 I did include price of postage across the country.

For the person who is talking about USB sticks... failure rate and corruption rate of USB sticks in this use is very high compared to an HDD or SSD, which will result in headaches and downtime. They would have to buy a new stick and somehow download the bootable image, not to mention they would have to know how to make the USB bootable, or they would have to wait for a replacement from the OP. Both of which are HORRIBLE solutions with long down times, and lots of hassle for both the consumer and the seller. Versatility is an important part of ANY PC. Note that the target are NEWBIES also. Being able to use their mining rig as a media center as well would make the PC worth MUCH more to them, even if they don't use it, it is an option at least. If bitcoin mining is not profitable at all anymore, the PC would be worth a lot less to them if not media option or other is available to them. No USB solution is HORRIBLE and should not be implemented, ESPECIALLY not in this case

To the OP again, please re-read post #33 (http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6256.msg91832#msg91832) and see if any of my suggestions would be of help. Also note that if you are selling rigs only for mining, people will be looking to make profit only, and therefore overkill parts is not useful to them. For example, the Case may be overkill, and the PSU on the 1st build too (though my guess is that you are taking the combo from newegg I listed?). Also, linux may be a great way to save 100$. This PC is not fit for gaming, so Windows is of no use here. I understand you want ease of use, but you can attain that with linux too. Also consider used 5970s.

Also: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6262.0 is more appealing to people. less than half the price of yours for the same Mh/s

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
mjsbuddha (OP)

yung lean

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 05:05:45 AM

message received.
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 10:10:48 AM

Come on people! A merchant comes with an offer, you do not like the price you do not buy it. Better yet, offer a competing service which is better and cheaper. But attacking and badmouthing him over his price is just wrong.

You really think his prices are such a rip off  - go create a separate price comparison thread and help consumers to be better informed.

I don't believe it's as simple as that.

This was like someone selling zero-variance mining contracts, offering only 1Ghash/s at £1159 and claiming it's the cheapest way to buy zero-variance mining contracts. I'd complain if someone tried that, and I make no apologies for so doing.

This was about misleading claims. If the merchant hadn't made misleading claims about price they wouldn't have been criticised on their pricing. The merchant addressed the issue, which I appreciate and respect, but - frankly - they shouldn't have made this elementary error in the first place, and I'm surprised that people appear to believe it was OK.

This space intentionally left blank.
Anonymous

April 22, 2011, 11:07:01 AM

Not only is the title of the thread misleading the offer is.
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 01:15:15 PM

For the person who is talking about USB sticks... failure rate and corruption rate of USB sticks in this use is very high compared to an HDD or SSD, which will result in headaches and downtime. They would have to buy a new stick and somehow download the bootable image, not to mention they would have to know how to make the USB bootable, or they would have to wait for a replacement from the OP. Both of which are HORRIBLE solutions with long down times, and lots of hassle for both the consumer and the seller. Versatility is an important part of ANY PC. Note that the target are NEWBIES also. Being able to use their mining rig as a media center as well would make the PC worth MUCH more to them, even if they don't use it, it is an option at least. If bitcoin mining is not profitable at all anymore, the PC would be worth a lot less to them if not media option or other is available to them. No USB solution is HORRIBLE and should not be implemented, ESPECIALLY not in this case

You really think that USB sticks are going to fail when you only read from them once per boot and never ever write to them? USB stick failures are primarily due to low quality NAND not holding up to significant amounts of writes. In a USB boot model, you'd NEVER write to the stick (except for one time setup) and only read once per boot because everything would be done within a RAM drive. This is a very typical model for cheap appliances which is what mining rigs are supposed to be.

And if you still think failure rates are a significant problem, then just ship two of them. That will still be ~10x or more cheaper than an SSD or even HDD.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
allinvain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2011, 03:50:24 PM

Just copy the usb drive to another usb drive (ie image it) and have a backup in case the main one fails. But as xenon481 said USB sticks are not very likely to fail. Go for a fairly decent brand and you should be fine.

xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 03:59:51 PM

You really think that USB sticks are going to fail when you only read from them once per boot and never ever write to them? USB stick failures are primarily due to low quality NAND not holding up to significant amounts of writes. In a USB boot model, you'd NEVER write to the stick (except for one time setup) and only read once per boot because everything would be done within a RAM drive. This is a very typical model for cheap appliances which is what mining rigs are supposed to be.

My field experience using USB flash for read-once-per-boot storage is miserable.  Six months after deploying such a solution, random failures started appearing.

I would not recommend using low-quality USB flash drives for anything in production....  especially read-once-per-boot solutions, where you only discover a dead USB stick when you most need it to work.

Been there, done that.

Network booting is far more reliable.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: