Bitcoin Forum
December 09, 2016, 02:26:31 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We are the enemy.  (Read 5575 times)
Hawker

Activity: 700

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 12:55:16 PM

On the doctors with debt issue, the funny thing is that guys go to med schools in Africa in India that are very cheap, they then get visas to work in the EU and arrived in places like England and get paid £109,000 per year from day 1.  Yet in our rich countries, med school costs a fortune.  Obviously a lot of money is being wasted or else we are risking life and limb giving these guys from developing world med schools the same jobs as people from European schools.

Hmm... seems these foreign medical students found a way to take advantage of a system that other countries have in place. Is it a problem? If so, is the fix to prohibit these people from obtaining productive employment in your country? Or is it the system itself that needs fixed?

We welcome them - you can't have too many doctors.  My puzzlement is that it costs so much less to educate a doctor in Sri Lanka for example yet his qualification is the same as one from Harvard Medical School.

Are his qualifications the same? And I don't mean his paper qualifications, I mean his skill qualifications.

I don't know :S  My question was genuinely a question.  Are our schools better than theirs and is the difference worth the price?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hawker

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 01:33:09 PM

In practical terms, everyday medical practice may well be slightly more complex than car repair so we are wasting huge brains and long years study on general practitioners.  Anyway, we are off topic so I'll stop.

Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 331

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 10:58:16 AM

In practical terms, everyday medical practice may well be slightly more complex than car repair so we are wasting huge brains and long years study on general practitioners.  Anyway, we are off topic so I'll stop.

I think this is an interesting question. Why does health care at places like these: http://www.bumrungrad.com/thailandhospital cost so little, and why can't they just import themselves to the US and get huge profits until the costs make their way down to their level?

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
Hawker

View Profile
February 18, 2012, 12:25:36 PM

I think this is an interesting question. Why does health care at places like these: http://www.bumrungrad.com/thailandhospital cost so little, and why can't they just import themselves to the US and get huge profits until the costs make their way down to their level?

In any economy there is a rentier class.  The health sector in pretty well every country is packed with these rent seekers.  The day the Thai doctor shows up to work in New York, he gets his key to the huge income of the local system.  If he tries to undercut, he will get disbarred for unprofessional conduct.

Fizzgig

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 19, 2012, 01:24:46 PM

Why is it that morals are so simple as children, (the golden rule applies to most moral issues) yet so complicated and perverted when we grow up? Simple, it's because we have to adapt to this immoral system, namely our government's monopoly on force. At the same time we must convince ourselves that we are not immoral even though we enable this system.

Let's say you are a school teacher, everyone loves teachers! You are paid with dollars which are extracted by force from the population. Should the population pay your salary? If yes, first realize that a sizable portion of that money will be used to pay bureaucrats. Next, realize that the continuation of government schooling hurts private schools (costs go up, demand goes down), parents (have to pay twice to enroll child in private school), and kids (are taught to take tests, not learn what it takes to survive and thrive in the world). Also realize that once the private institutions are marginalized, innovation grinds to a crawl.

So let me ask you this, reader: do you make your livelihood through voluntaryism (mutual trade), or does the institution you work for accept money from the government or exists because of the monopolies granted by government?

Voluntaryism

I think it is important to understand the philosophy and morality of voluntaryism when trying to understand the legality/morality of bitcoin and it's uses. Here's an example of how people often misdiagnose the problem:

If many thousands of people started using bitcoin as a Western Union proxy, (cross-border money transfers), the US would have massive problems keeping inflation contained to certain areas. Most people look at this situation and realize that bitcoin can cause disruption in currency markets, therefore bitcoin should be regulated. However, people generally don't have any idea how corrupt the dollar monetary system is. What people fail to see is that our currency is so corrupted that honest, voluntary exchange is a threat to it.

Does it really make sense to jail people for inhaling smoke from a plant? No it doesn't, but jails are filled with drug abusers. This only works because one herd of sheeple is pitted against the other...NOT because of overwhelming government power. However, this policy does increases government power.

The next time a law passes which bans voluntary action, ask yourself...is this justified? (i.e. ANY law related to bitcoin...hint: the answer rhymes with snow).

Best Bitcoin supported browser game:
Minethings: Dig, Trade, and Fight your way to influence!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.