Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:40:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Double wallet  (Read 1304 times)
Frodo (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 10:56:23 PM

Alice has money on its wallet. Bob copy its wallet and send all money. On Alice wallet not this transaction, she send money. Can she send money? How prevent against theft?
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2011, 11:00:02 PM

The wallet does not contain the coins. It contains the keys to spend coins which are assigned to the corresponding addresses. The coins themselves, if such a thing exists, are kept by the network.

If you try to spend a coin twice, the network will only accept the first transaction to do so.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 11:00:49 PM

Alice has money on its wallet. Bob copy its wallet and send all money. On Alice wallet not this transaction, she send money. Can she send money? How prevent against theft?

No.

If they both have a copy of the SAME wallet....  Then whoever spends the money first, can spend it.

The second attempt to send the same bitcoins will not be allowed, and will be prevented by the bitcoin network.
Frodo (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 11:28:56 PM

Thus only way to prevent against theft is bitcoin client with encryption else trojan can steal.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 12:48:57 AM

only way to protect yourself from Sauron's tempation is never wear ring, evar.

only way to prevent your bitcoins be stolen is never spend them, evar.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 04:28:17 AM

even without spending, just by having the wallet file unencrypted in your disk you are already open to the possibility of your money being stolen. Even if the wallet is encrypted, there is still the risk some malware might sniff the data while a program decrypts it to RAM. And even if you don't launch any program that touches the wallet yourself, malware could still do it unatended, if you saved the password for decrypting it that could be used, or the malware could transmit the encrypted file to the attacker's machine and the attacker could attempt to find the password using a dictionary and even a bruteforce attack.

There are all sorts of ways your coins could get stolen

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: