Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:04:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcoin will not go past $1000  (Read 3131 times)
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:05:50 PM

Who will wanna buy Bitcoins at $3000?

You'll be buying bits, or satoshis.

333 bits for a dollar? That's a freakin' steal!

I'd put some bits on 1 bit will be worth 1 USD before 2030.
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:24:02 PM

My understanding - which is possibly incorrect and if so, please correct - is that the price of btc was around $900-$1100 just prior to the Gox failure. Was the rate of rise leading to the $1100 point considered a bubble? If so, what price range had been the stable foundation first before the price shot up strong to over $1k?

Do you measure the actual btc value from that baseline amount before the bubble rise and if that's the baseline, if we exclude the bubble and gox failure, and look at the price recovering from both, is it meeting that baseline or has it exceeded it?

I don't know what the actual amount is because I wasn't aware of all this back then. I was considering the market in terms of dynamics and Newton's Law - it'll keep doing what it's doing until something disrupts it. If the bubble/gox failure is the disruption, then the price prior to that would be where the market was naturally at...and compared to where it is now, is it steady growth or has it reached the break even point yet?

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:39:32 PM

Bitcoin value is easy enough to model. Magnitude just boils down to assumptions:

http://honestnode.com/bitcoin-fair-value-a-first-assessment/

Edit: tl;dr: $27,381 / BTC on relatively conservative success-case assumptions.
Fair value today depends on your analysis of the reasonability of those assumptions, and your estimation of the probability that the success case will happen.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 08:44:48 PM

My understanding - which is possibly incorrect and if so, please correct - is that the price of btc was around $900-$1100 just prior to the Gox failure. Was the rate of rise leading to the $1100 point considered a bubble? If so, what price range had been the stable foundation first before the price shot up strong to over $1k?

Do you measure the actual btc value from that baseline amount before the bubble rise and if that's the baseline, if we exclude the bubble and gox failure, and look at the price recovering from both, is it meeting that baseline or has it exceeded it?

I don't know what the actual amount is because I wasn't aware of all this back then. I was considering the market in terms of dynamics and Newton's Law - it'll keep doing what it's doing until something disrupts it. If the bubble/gox failure is the disruption, then the price prior to that would be where the market was naturally at...and compared to where it is now, is it steady growth or has it reached the break even point yet?

i'm not positive, but if i remember correctly in taking a look at the historical charts, we were closer to the $700-800 range before the Gox meltdown really unfolded.
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 09:42:02 PM

Thanks. I also forgot to include the silk road drop but if it was $700 before, then now it would be returning to that level...and if it goes up again, it was always going to  Grin

I think btc has gained too much traction and been invested in by big money to just cave to government/banking pressures to conform. I think the people who put money in it will comply to a point but fundamentally adopted and support btc because it frees us from these institutions. I'm okay with a little cooperation just to get to enough adoption it'll basically put the government right back in the position the bankers did: we own your ass, we're too big to fail, you can't let us fall else it'll destroy the economy...only in btc terms, too many businesses have invested in it and have mass adoption...so you can't outlaw it or regulate it out of existence without mass exodus out of fiat  Grin

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 09:53:22 PM

once the ETFs come out and wallstreet jumps into the game, i'm pretty certain it will reach $1,000.. oh and that's not even mentioning a major company like ebay, newegg, or amazon adopting btc.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 09:59:53 PM

bitcoin will go past 1000 not later than august, sorry OP. 5000+ by May, 2015. the price grows by x10 every year now, we are in an explosive adoption phase. willy bot and china are just tiny detractions that can delay the growth by a month maybe. irrelevant tiny dips on a yearly scale.

i am satoshi
Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:31:15 PM

bitcoin will go past 1000 not later than august, sorry OP. 5000+ by May, 2015. the price grows by x10 every year now, we are in an explosive adoption phase. willy bot and china are just tiny detractions that can delay the growth by a month maybe. irrelevant tiny dips on a yearly scale.

speaking of the willy bot, i noticed the wordpress site has been taken down. is it posted anywhere else? does anyone think the media may pick up on the story and it will have a negative impact on price?
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:34:16 PM

speaking of the willy bot, i noticed the wordpress site has been taken down. is it posted anywhere else?

Here you go:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140525171522/http://willyreport.wordpress.com/

Once on the web, always on the web.
Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:37:32 PM

About the Willy: I've heard most of the volume were at chinese exchanges, not Mt. Gox. Gox had like 7% of the volume (iirc.)

Here's a good(?) graph Smiley

Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:41:13 PM

About the Willy: I've heard most of the volume were at chinese exchanges, not Mt. Gox. Gox had like 7% of the volume (iirc.)

Here's a good(?) graph Smiley

yes, but there are a couple considerations. 1) Chinese exchanges have been shown to fake volume (e.g. OkCoin) 2) was MT Gox price action driving the price action on Chinese exchanges? if so, then that is pretty significant, i think.
Anduck
Legendary

quack

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:45:40 PM

yes, but there are a couple considerations. 1) Chinese exchanges have been shown to fake volume (e.g. OkCoin) 2) was MT Gox price action driving the price action on Chinese exchanges? if so, then that is pretty significant, i think.

If we don't look at the obviously faking volume -exchanges, still Mt Gox proportion of the volume was quite low. I've not analyzed anything myself but I've understood it's clear that Chinese exchanges were leading the rise.

Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 10:48:32 PM

If we don't look at the obviously faking volume -exchanges, still Mt Gox proportion of the volume was quite low. I've not analyzed anything myself but I've understood it's clear that Chinese exchanges were leading the rise.

on the first part, though -- removing the obviously faking volume -exchanges. how can you do that? personally, i don't trust the volume numbers coming out of any of the Chinese exchanges, but that is partly because i don't know where to start this sort of volume analysis. also, the Chinese exchanges offer margin trading, which tends to excite volume numbers, though that may not be any real reason to detract from their numbers.
Anduck
Legendary

quack

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:12:25 PM

on the first part, though -- removing the obviously faking volume -exchanges. how can you do that? personally, i don't trust the volume numbers coming out of any of the Chinese exchanges, but that is partly because i don't know where to start this sort of volume analysis. also, the Chinese exchanges offer margin trading, which tends to excite volume numbers, though that may not be any real reason to detract from their numbers.

BTC China is 'OK' in my eyes. I searched some info and apparently, based on the link, Gox volume were just 7% of the Bitstamp volume. http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/26h8tv/the_willy_btc_volume_is_only_equivalent_to_7_of/

Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:17:21 PM

BTC China is 'OK' in my eyes. I searched some info and apparently, based on the link, Gox volume were just 7% of the Bitstamp volume. http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/26h8tv/the_willy_btc_volume_is_only_equivalent_to_7_of/

interesting. that is actually really surprising to me. i guess it's been so long now since i was watchin the action on Gox on btc wisdom, but i remember feeling like Gox has SO MUCH liquidity, such walls. i always felt like they had so much volume. but never actually looked too deeply.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:42:46 PM

The Winklevoss twins did some calculations and said that Bitcoin is supposed to be in the ten thousands range.
Here, this article on CNBC talks about the Winklevoss twins stating that the price is supposed to be atleast 100 times what it is now.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101190181

Many people will want to own at least 1 whole BTC.
The extremely low supply will be a huge factor as demand rises. Once Bitcoin is above $2,000 (for example) it might never again "go past $1,000" on any correction.  Smiley

Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:46:46 PM

The Winklevoss twins did some calculations and said that Bitcoin is supposed to be in the ten thousands range.
Here, this article on CNBC talks about the Winklevoss twins stating that the price is supposed to be atleast 100 times what it is now.

The extremely low supply will be a huge factor as demand rises. Once Bitcoin is above $2,000 (for example) it might never again "go past $1,000" on any correction.  Smiley

Yes, one btc will be like "hey dude, he owns an ENTIRELY BTC!" , imagine if the 8 decimals bitcoin has become useful, lets say 1 satoshi = 1 cent, each bitcoin will worth 100,000 .
Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:47:10 PM

what kind of calculations do they use to come to this conclusion? is it similar to some of the analysis i have seen regarding metcalfe's law as a measure of value based on the network effect? i still haven't been able to fully wrap my head around that stuff.
RandomPedestrianN9

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 11:51:16 PM

what kind of calculations do they use to come to this conclusion? is it similar to some of the analysis i have seen regarding metcalfe's law as a measure of value based on the network effect? i still haven't been able to fully wrap my head around that stuff.

1) grab a calculator
2) type in 200
3) times 10
4) 2000 result
5) this proves the price will be 2000
flailing Junk

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 12:02:25 AM

According to Petko Draganov bitcoin isnt worth paying attention to unless it is doing 200 billion a day in volume. Assuming bitcoin will be worth paying attention to the market cap will have to be well into the trillions to support that.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: