Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:55:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu Desktop Becomes Ubuntu CLI Only After Rebooting?  (Read 1319 times)
gigabytecoin (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 08:23:52 PM

Anybody else notice this?

After following the instructions here: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3356.msg47489#msg47489 and re-booting my computer...

I am asked to enter the username and password via a command line interface and no ubuntu desktop is ever shown.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that we are removing video drivers in the beginning of the tutorial maybe?

Third time I will be re-installing ubuntu now because of it.

I suspect it might have something to do with automatic upgrades as well? Any harm in turning automatic upgrades off completely?
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 21, 2011, 11:57:44 PM

More than likely your Xorg configuration file is not being generated correctly causing the Xserver to crash on start-up and then sends you into CLI on next boot ...?

... you can display it's contents from the command line with a

$less /etc/X11/xorg.conf

it gets changed when you do the

$sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all

make sure you do this in a newly opened terminal or the environment variables may not be correct .... also if you have only 1 GPU in your set-up do only the

$sudo aticonfig --initial

gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 07:25:20 PM

More than likely your Xorg configuration file is not being generated correctly causing the Xserver to crash on start-up and then sends you into CLI on next boot ...?

... you can display it's contents from the command line with a

$less /etc/X11/xorg.conf

it gets changed when you do the

$sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all

make sure you do this in a newly opened terminal or the environment variables may not be correct .... also if you have only 1 GPU in your set-up do only the

$sudo aticonfig --initial

Thanks for that MOA.

Not sure if the problem is caused because I re-arranged the cards after updating or because I updated the operating system.

I have a 5870 and a 5970 plugged into the machine in question. Just recently moved PCIe slots for the 5970 though.

Should I maybe add sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all to my .bashrc file???

And what is the harm in adding --adapter=all to a command when/if I only have 1 GPU?
gigabytecoin (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2011, 09:01:03 PM

Ok so I logged into the Command Line version of ubuntu 10.10 and re-entered sudo aticonfig --initial --adapter=all

No errors were shown, and upon re-booting I am met with the exact same all black screen.

It does look as though something is (quickly) trying to start twice and then forcing me into the black console screen.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: