Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:38:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitDrop (or ShadyDeliveryNetwork), a non-robotic courier system  (Read 30331 times)
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 12:18:15 AM

This system needs Faith
we can start with PGP signatures :p

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 12:23:36 AM

Seems you didn't see what i did there

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 04:19:39 AM

Seems you didn't see what i did there

The opening line of the WHAM song?

I missed what you did there too.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 04:53:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocnI6hQO8SA <- watch

It was a reference to this

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 08:06:37 AM

Oh I see, the character of the game is Faith.

That is actually a cool video (seems a realistic storyline, at least from the intro), and is exactly the future we have ins store.

eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 04:45:19 PM

...is exactly the future we have in store.
I've made a career out of predicting the future--and I would never, ever use this phrase Wink

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 05:56:36 PM

The result is each node knows only a portion of the route, it increases privacy, and the strngth of the delivery network.

Unfortunately, delivering physical objects has a very different security/threat profile from delivering data packets. All one need do to compromise the security of such a system is to send through location tracking devices. It makes no difference if delivery is done by human or non-human agents.

I was thinking about this, someone sending through a gps tracker that records the trip, but how useful would that be in reality(as long as the package is not brought to some location that is tied to the runner, i.e. their home or office or something)?

All that would say is about the pay being taken, and nothing about the person delivering.

Could lock the packages up in a faraday cage type box so they can't get a gps signal. Would wrapping it in foil work?

Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 06:39:38 PM

Putting the object in a Faraday cage (yes, wrapping in foil) could provide a defense from live location tracking. But once the package is opened its location could be reported. So, this would provide a measure of security to the delivery network, but not to the recipient.
Interesting, I was going to say that someone would need to have the address of the recipient to send the package to them in the first place, but then I remembered the system does.

Also a package that could transmit it's location over a reasonable distance would need to be reasonably powerful and not small in size, larger than a 19inch crt monitor?

However, I do not know what you would do with a data-logging device that uses accelerometer input to reconstruct location by dead reckoning, a Faraday cage would not help in this case, it could penetrate the security of both the delivery network as well as that of the recipient. It need not even be terribly accurate, with enough samples routes can be reconstructed with a very high accuracy if they are re-used... Even completely random routes and drops would only have the effect of limiting the degree of accuracy such a attack could deliver. It could also reveal a lot of other information, including the transportation mode of the carriers, (walk/run, bike, car, etc.) as well as gait, which could be used to identify individual carriers. With enough time/space data the travel path could be also be correlated to video surveillance.

Now you're being more paranoid than I.

The best defense in this case would be to severely limit the size/weight of packages delivered, and also wrap them in foil, to prevent RFID tracking.

I agree. Any other suggestions to prevent the network being attacked?

What about law enforcement using entrapment against entry nodes? For example, they have an entry node (first person to collect package from user) collect the package which they have put illegal items such as drug into, and then proceed to arrest the entry node.

I'm thinking that you will need some reputation to be able to send packages too, this should help the network to resist.

skittixch

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 06:59:30 PM

I think we're focusing too much on filling every possible security hole with measures that would stifle the proliferation and usability of such a network.  Think about the calamity that is the TSA, and the fact the people are choosing not to fly simply because the security measures have gotten so invasive. We might be venturing down a path of total anonymity, but at what cost?  I think simple, cost-effective, common sense steps can be taken (I love the tin foil packing idea) to reasonably protect all points in the chain.  If there's reason (i.e. high value, illicit, etc packages) to be paranoid about the possibility of an aggressive attack, dark runners can advertise their own methods for protecting the packages in transmission.  Instead of trying to centralize the security system, let it grow naturally out of necessity.  The runners will have reason to do this, as they'll be able to charge more for their security expertise and practices, further making a flourishing ecosystem of professional/entrepreneurial skill-sets to meet the demands of their clients.  The danger from the outset isn't outside aggression; rather, it's from setting up a system so complex that it makes people not want to try it in the first place.  Sending a package should be as easy as sending bitcoins to an acct and defining a start/end point. Any further complexity will limit the use of the system, and will run a risk of things drying up completely.  Total systemic failure is far worse than the remote possibility of an aggressive attack on a node by node basis, imo.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 07:19:35 PM

I think that nodes should be able to specify their schedules as well as weight and size limits, but I don't think any should know the contents of the package. Otherwise, senders will simply lie about the contents. If the nodes really wanted to know, they could just peek.

If authorities compromise a node, that person can log into the site with a second password that will stop the system from routing packages through that node.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 06:29:33 PM

skittixch you've created a monster.

I'm running with this (although I won't start until next week, kind of busy).

Also it's on Cypherpunked, I gave them an interview yesterday, should be available as a podcast in a day or so here. http://agoristradio.com/?p=285

FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 06:37:27 PM

I think runners should specify whether certain routes will have privacy or not. For example, for local destinations, a runner could safely not look at packages and post his promise so as to attract more packages. However, if the runner is about to take a trip by airplane, he will have to peek at any packages that he’s carrying, and should specify that condition on his profile.

Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 06:44:51 PM

I think runners should specify whether certain routes will have privacy or not. For example, for local destinations, a runner could safely not look at packages and post his promise so as to attract more packages. However, if the runner is about to take a trip by airplane, he will have to peek at any packages that he’s carrying, and should specify that condition on his profile.

That could be done.

FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 06:57:29 PM

Now, there also has to be some contingency for when a runner receives a package that violates his requirements. I think the runner should just dispose of the package as he pleases.

BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 07:00:06 PM

Now, there also has to be some contingency for when a runner receives a package that violates his requirements. I think the runner should just dispose of the package as he pleases.

I was under the impression that the system would be taking care of package routing, why should the customer be penalized in that case? A runner should be able to notify the system of any exceptions (damage to package, unable to deliver, etc) and it will give them a drop off point leading the package back into the system.
FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2011, 07:02:59 PM

I was under the impression that the system would be taking care of package routing, why should the customer be penalized in that case? A runner should be able to notify the system of any exceptions (damage to package, unable to deliver, etc) and it will give them a drop off point leading the package back into the system.
I was assuming that the sender would have lied to the system for a cheaper rate. Presumably, private routes would cost more than routes without privacy.

mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 07:26:09 PM

I do not yet really grok the economics of this kind of P2P delivery system, but I think there might even be reasons to use it aside from anonymity concerns. There likely would be cases where rates might be cheaper than centralized mail services can offer. Centralized (public or private) mail services cross-subsidize the services to rural and other sparsely populated areas heavily. So, sending packages that are just too big to fit in an envelope might be quite inexpensive to send inside and between densely populated areas, if the couriers were people who already traveled part of the route as their daily routine (commute to work for example). Another case where marginal costs could be very low compared to conventional freight rates would of course be air travel.

This is all very fascinating, I can't wait to see how these ideas turn out to perform in real life.
skittixch

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 12:22:13 AM

skittixch you've created a monster.

I'm running with this (although I won't start until next week, kind of busy).

Also it's on Cypherpunked, I gave them an interview yesterday, should be available as a podcast in a day or so here. http://agoristradio.com/?p=285

Cheesy
Orbijx

Activity: 17

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 05:43:08 AM

This system needs Faith
Late to the thread, but I love you so much for saying that.

Weed out the Celestes while we're at it.
cuddlefish

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 06:39:12 PM

I may just integrate this into Ubitex.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: