Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:57:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitDrop (or ShadyDeliveryNetwork), a non-robotic courier system  (Read 30331 times)
boonies4u

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 05:51:43 AM

Instead of a radius, why not define a region that you are willing to go to. Maybe some parts of your state are largely uninhabited or the roadways aren't tolerable for your vehicle, or you want to avoid certain portions of your city. That might make routing more complicated but probably more efficient.

Also perhaps a distance off of certain highways, so rather than forming a circle, it would be an expanded bubble around whatever major highways you specified.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2012, 06:13:20 AM

Perhaps you could use google maps and specify streets rather than just a radius. Each person would have a different colour to make it easier to see the overlaps.

Then you could see the exact streets to do handovers.

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 06:25:01 AM

What a troubled history this innovative thread has had. Perhaps moving it to a more relevant board would do it some justice. I am surprised it has just now come to my attention. A goofy and quixotic thread, but interesting nonetheless. p2p ftw
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2012, 06:32:02 AM

What a troubled history this innovative thread has had. Perhaps moving it to a more relevant board would do it some justice. I am surprised it has just now come to my attention. A goofy and quixotic thread, but interesting nonetheless. p2p ftw

Its on the agenda for bitcoinglobal but I think its an idea that belongs to everyone. If someone makes a start perhaps they will get paid at the end of it as lead dev or get some shares Smiley

teknomunk

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2012, 02:43:12 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2012, 03:01:52 PM by teknomunk

I would be willing to be a runner for non-dark packages

Is couriering cash something you'ld object to?  If not, up to what amount would you be comfortable?

(I don't have an actual need, just curious what the response to this question would be.)

I would not object, but would prefer it not be so large as to make myself an attractive target to be robbed. I don't have an armored car Tongue. So, I see no problem with a few hundred USD total per trip.

I can see where this kind of service would be useful for moving money into or out of an exchange without needing the banks.

The opposite of libertarian is authoritarian | Use PGP encryption: 0x48DD8AAB | Places Accepting Bitcoin on an OpenStreetMap
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2012, 08:18:27 PM

SneakerNet -> TireNet

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 06:09:27 AM

Very interesting. Glad to hear this is going forward!

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 12:22:01 PM

it's already well established the courier has no liability for the legality of his/her charge under a properly run delivery service and something like this would have a transparent system where it's obvious the courier cant know the contents.

This can't possibly work in court... otherwise, all drug dealers caught carrying large amounts would just have to claim they didn't know what was inside the package, neither do they know who was the original sender...  Roll Eyes

I imagine this excuse may work for officially recognized carriers... but we shouldn't expect an anonymous p2p postal network to have such recognition.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 12:27:23 PM

I do wonder how long it would be till nearly every bitdrop courier is a cop  Smiley

Dont really know a solution to that.

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 12:49:21 PM

I do wonder how long it would be till nearly every bitdrop courier is a cop  Smiley

Dont really know a solution to that.

Yep. It's quite easy for them actually, drop the trap and wait to see if somebody shows up.

A way such risk could be mitigated is to require some level of reputation before being able to drop anything. This reputation could be "imported" from other sites, like #otc or SR. Also, having carried some packages dropped by others should build you some reputation, as cops might have legal constraints that forbid them to help the network before trying to attack it (not sure if it's the case though).
Perhaps people should never trust a package dropped by a 0-rep user. Want to use the network, build some reputation before. Quite limiting as constraint, and I'm not sure it's enough. If cops start building their rep before attacking, I wouldn't know any way to protect the users.

PS: Don't take me badly, I don't want to be a pessimist, I'd really like to see such service working. It just looks too difficult and dangerous though...

Activity: 756

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 12:53:23 PM

How the heck did I miss this gem of an idea. Love it and would definitely sign up as a curiour. And would also be interested in sending this way.

What kind of prices are we talking with it being gas price^mileage based?

probably the best aspect would be people who commute to work, deliver it on their path they'd normally take

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
boonies4u

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 02:04:45 PM

Couldn't a sub-contractor system work? A large, recognized courier system would hire sub-contractors to handle deliveries. This way, even if the individual courier gets in trouble, the actual agency would have plausible deniability.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 04:10:55 PM

Couldn't a sub-contractor system work? A large, recognized courier system would hire sub-contractors to handle deliveries. This way, even if the individual courier gets in trouble, the actual agency would have plausible deniability.

Why would anyone want to be a courier if it meant assuming responsibility for the package contents with absolutely no assurance it wasn't something illegal or dangerous?

Still around.
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:58:06 PM

Why would anyone want to be a courier if it meant assuming responsibility for the package contents with absolutely no assurance it wasn't something illegal or dangerous?

I think that totally depends on how much people are willing to pay to ship it.  Although if I was making a ton of money to transport a little box, that could pretty clearly state that it's contents are expensive and dangerous.

Awesome project though.  Just read all 8 pages and can't believe I haven't seen this before.

boonies4u

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:16:38 PM

I don't see what demand there would be for this service that did not involve delivering something stolen, illegal, dangerous, or at least sensitive.

I would rather the infrastructure remain and one person taking a fall, than having the entire system fall apart. Since you would be going through a legitimate courier, the client would also have plausible deniability for use, since the parent company has legitimate use.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:27:00 PM

I don't see what demand there would be for this service that did not involve delivering something stolen, illegal, dangerous, or at least sensitive.

I would rather the infrastructure remain and one person taking a fall, than having the entire system fall apart. Since you would be going through a legitimate courier, the client would also have plausible deniability for use, since the parent company has legitimate use.

Now it seems like more of a dead drop system than a courier system.

Still around.
boonies4u

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 08:57:28 PM

Now it seems like more of a dead drop system than a courier system.

It could be dead drop between runners, that way the chances of one successfully ratting on one another is lowered. But the sender and the receiver would meet the runner for the first and last leg respectively.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 09:01:30 PM

It could be dead drop between runners, that way the chances of one successfully ratting on one another is lowered. But the sender and the receiver would meet the runner for the first and last leg respectively.

Preferably not. Sender drops package, notifies network. Package is moved from drop to drop, eventually reaching destination drop. Network notifies recipient "You've got mail".

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
boonies4u

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:13:56 PM

Preferably not. Sender drops package, notifies network. Package is moved from drop to drop, eventually reaching destination drop. Network notifies recipient "You've got mail".

If I were wanting to have something sent, I probably would like to see it leaving my hands. Even if that meant staking out the pickup location. Last thing I would want is to be tempted at picking it back up, if I felt that it might not have been picked up.

Perhaps the pickup and delivery could be in person as an option, as a way to verify. That way both the first and last pair of runners and clients would submit confirmations of pickup and delivery respectively.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 09:18:22 PM

nuh-uh. That's a security hole. If I'm sending something, I drop it, and then forget it. Once I'm home, I notify the network, and it's out of my hands.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: