Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:53:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DISH Becomes World’s Largest Company to Accept Bitcoin.  (Read 1395 times)
bitcoinsrus (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:05:22 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2014, 02:19:14 PM by bitcoinsrus

Overstock, now dish. Whats next?  Grin

http://www.coindesk.com/dish-becomes-worlds-largest-company-accept-bitcoin/

"US satellite service provider DISH Network has announced that it will start accepting bitcoin payments later this year.

The Colorado-based company is one of the biggest content providers in America, with more than 14 million pay-TV subscribers.

DISH plans to start accepting bitcoin payments in the third quarter of 2014, but it has not yet revealed an exact date. Once it does, it will become the biggest company to accept bitcoin to date.

Last year DISH Network Corporation reported revenue of $13.9bn. The company has more than 30,000 employees."

"Coinbase will serve as the payment processor for the company, exchanging the bitcoin payments to USD at the moment of transaction."

http://blog.coinbase.com/post/87191857392/dish-teams-up-with-coinbase-to-become-largest-company
http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/DISH+Network+%28DISH%29+Begins+Accepting+Bitcoin+for+Payment/9533028.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/dish-largest-company-accept-bitcoin-23908889
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wallmart selling butterfly miner?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Butterfly-Labs-Bitcoin-Miner-10-GH-S-Processor-USB-2.0-BF0010G/34952957
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lilfiend

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:11:05 PM

Woot!

If ISP's and power companies start accepting bitcoin I could mine without touching USD.

[Insert E-peen here]
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:35:12 PM

Fantastic.  Somewhere to land once Comcast buys Time Warner and AT&T buys DirecTV, since I refuse to deal with either of those companies.  Might as well pay them in bitcoin too.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:04:43 PM

Very encouraging!  This will get other business looking into integrating bitcoin payment too.  Soon it will be a race to allow payment in bitcoin.
metstijl

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:22:17 PM

Holy shit I pooped myself abit.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:56:41 PM

Also.. walmart selling bitcoin miners..

Boys and Girls buckle up it's going to be one hell of a ride.
bitcoinsrus (OP)

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:59:34 PM

I wonder why they chose BFL. My guess is that they got a great deal or something. I wonder if they would consider selling cointerra 1.6-2 Th or knc jupiters
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:06:25 PM

I wonder why they chose BFL. My guess is that they got a great deal or something. I wonder if they would consider selling cointerra 1.6-2 Th or knc jupiters

Testing the waters?  They probably don't want to deal with any pre-order BS can't blame them.  Suprised they are not pushing Bitmaintech gear though.  BFL is werid to push..  They are buying from Tiger D but still you can buy miners at walmart.. cool shit.
ShameOnYou

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 05:48:14 PM

Awesome news. DISH network, Walmart selling miners, VC investment and infrastructure developments seems to be happening all the time -- it's time to get bullish on bitcoin. Cool
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:19:20 PM

Let's see.

Overstock starts accepting bitcoins --> BTC Price drops
TigerDirect starts accepting bitcoins --> BTC Price drops

What makes you think Dish accepting bitcoins will result in BTC price INCREASE?

Look at the chart, btc is either holding steady or even decreasing. Most people in the know can tell you that companies currently adopting bitcoins as payment tend to dump them for fiat.
zoinky

Activity: 811

Web Developer

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:25:29 PM

Let's see.

Look at the chart, btc is either holding steady or even decreasing. Most people in the know can tell you that companies currently adopting bitcoins as payment tend to dump them for fiat.

Overstock said at Bitcoin2014 they started holding 10% of all sales.  Merchant adoption is a phase, no need to shit on it.  Also, no reason for this to take us higher, I agree.  The price is not that immature anymore, it assumes that merchants like this will be adopting, it more so expects it.
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:30:51 PM

This is a great news, the adoption between merchants is growing, this will help to spread the word about bitcoins.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:40:02 PM

Hrrrrm. If they offer a discount, I might consider keeping it around for a while longer. Have been meaning to cancel my account for nearly a month. Dedicated television lines will be dead by daughter's adulthood, I think, like physical phone lines are dying out in my generation. DISH stations, even HD, are very noticeably lower res and lower fps than OTA TV and 480p downloads... seems silly to pay for it, really.

It'd be really nice to always have up-to-date statements when someone bills me. That alone is worth a fair bit to me...

... Gosh, I should've chatted up the propane manager I talked to a couple days ago about it. I can't stand how they bill... no autopay option, and you have to pay if you use the phone to enter CC#. Every time, I have to Google how to write a check, which I literally only have a book of for the propane. Cheesy Only non-automatic payment of all bills (less property taxes, where I have a very similar problem), and we check the mail maybe twice per month, so almost always get a $34 late fee tacked on.
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:40:28 PM

Let's see.

Overstock said at Bitcoin2014 they started holding 10% of all sales.  Merchant adoption is a phase, no need to shit on it.  Also, no reason for this to take us higher, I agree.  The price is not that immature anymore, it assumes that merchants like this will be adopting, it more so expects it.

i agree that we shouldn't necessarily expect a huge price spike based on this alone. i think we have all been expecting (well, those of us who are bullish long term) that more and more merchants, including large retailers, will come on board. it's partly baked into the price.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:43:31 PM

Oh, fwiw - kinda relevant to new discussion - I haven't heard any reports of payment processors dumping coins on the open market. I know BitPay doesn't. Whether or not the buyer would've purchased on the open market if the payment processors couldn't fill the order and prevent slippage is arguable.
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:57:42 PM

that gives me an interesting thought. to this point, we've mainly been seeing small merchants accepting bitcoin. if we see more companies of this magnitude accepting bitcoin, will it drag down the exchange markets? with gradual adoption, and you see this with bitpay, i don't think the push on exchange prices is that significant. but some very big merchants adopting could maybe throw a monkey wrench in the equilibrium.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 10:01:02 PM

that gives me an interesting thought. to this point, we've mainly been seeing small merchants accepting bitcoin. if we see more companies of this magnitude accepting bitcoin, will it drag down the exchange markets? with gradual adoption, and you see this with bitpay, i don't think the push on exchange prices is that significant. but some very big merchants adopting could maybe throw a monkey wrench in the equilibrium.

I'll guess that merchant adoption is going to considerably outpace consumer adoption for a long while yet. A case of 'if you build it, they will come' if ever there was one.
ShameOnYou

Activity: 238

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:18:59 AM

I'll guess that merchant adoption is going to considerably outpace consumer adoption for a long while yet. A case of 'if you build it, they will come' if ever there was one.

Out of curiousity, how does that affect your long term/mid term predictions for BTCUSD price? Is this condition of merchant vs. consumer adoption outweighed by other bullish factors?
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:26:34 AM

Out of curiousity, how does that affect your long term/mid term predictions for BTCUSD price? Is this condition of merchant vs. consumer adoption outweighed by other bullish factors?

I ain't got a clue.

My gut feeling is that the powers that be, and the people behind the serious money, would prefer to turn it into gold 2.0. More money to be made, less upset to the order of things.

If that is the case then retail use would be a sideline.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:01:01 AM

Is this official then this is great news
I've seen enough Dish Network commercials to have a name recognition with this company so good to hear.
Still the year of retail and merchant adoption consumers follow next year.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: