Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:40:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to learn!  (Read 2140 times)
Wexlike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:38:22 AM

Hello ! Smiley

Can someone give me a list of good books or information sources regarding trading / ta analysis / speculation ?

I m "trading" just for fun and i even made a little bit of profit, but most of the time i m just wildly guessing. I justt ry to buy low and sell high - if thats not working, then i m bagholding like a champ.  ~:)

But i really would like to improve. For example: understanding fibbonacci or all the other special terms.

Where did you learn your skills ?

Thanks in advance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Marbit

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:28:13 AM

Well, here is a couple links that will get you started with basic chart patterns and Fibonacci retracements. A note on chart patterns--emphasis on 4H candle or longer charts. The lower the time frame, the higher the noise.

http://stockcharts.com/help/doku.php?id=chart_school:chart_analysis:chart_patterns
http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:chart_analysis:fibonacci_retracemen

And if you look into only a handful of indicators, I suggest:

http://stockcharts.com/help/doku.php?id=chart_school:technical_indicators:relative_strength_in
http://stockcharts.com/help/doku.php?id=chart_school:technical_indicators:moving_average_conve

Good luck! Smiley
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:35:31 AM

Hello ! Smiley
Can someone give me a list of good books or information sources regarding trading / ta analysis / speculation ?
I m "trading" just for fun and i even made a little bit of profit, but most of the time i m just wildly guessing. I justt ry to buy low and sell high - if thats not working, then i m bagholding like a champ.  ~:)
But i really would like to improve. For example: understanding fibbonacci or all the other special terms.
Thanks in advance
I don`t have a list of books.But an advice: to get experienced with TA it will take YEARS ! you cannot learn this in crash courses or in a few month.
Go to Google and search textbooks.
you mention fibonacci,well, this is already a bit special and not for the beginning
I see a lot of noobs here doing TA and it is horrible. I can read TA because I got experienced years ago in stock markets.
As german I do not know english textbooks,sorry
I don`t think this Forum is the right way to learn about TA.
Good luck
P.S for the beginning start with Basics of TA  and then go to Patterns .
ChartSchool
http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school

http://www.taguide.com/index.html
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 10:45:26 AM

Good book to start with, in my opinion:

http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Analysis-Complete-Financial-Technicians/dp/0137059442

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
yrtrnc

Activity: 605

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 10:49:11 AM

IMHO bitcoin market is very unique.
segeln

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 10:49:35 AM

I read the Content and it seems to be good

This one is for free for a Kindle:

Technical Analysis: From Trends to Moving Averages- Your Step-by-Step Guide to Trading with Technical Analysis... von Joel Sanders (5. Mai 2014)
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 10:56:49 AM

It's somewhere in the middle, difficulty wise, I'd say...

You probably could, in principle, get most of the information from the book from web resources like Stochcharts - Chartschool, but the book is well organized, reliable, and covers a wide range of topics beside charts and indicators.

Then again, for someone who never traded before it's possibly a bit too technical (although the math required is nothing more than high school level). Depends on whether OP is serious about getting into TA (then the book is a good start), otherwise BabyPips is maybe more accessible.

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
segeln

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 10:58:42 AM

otherwise BabyPips is maybe more accessible.
I agree again for that
segeln

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:02:45 AM

it's possibly a bit too technical (although the math required is nothing more than high school level).
Well, as a retiree I should dig out my high School math which ist Long ago Grin Huh Roll Eyes
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:11:09 AM

Technical Analysis: From Trends to Moving Averages- Your Step-by-Step Guide to Trading with Technical Analysis. von Joel Sanders (5. Mai 2014)

This is the perfect book to read for a newcomer, well written and easy to learn.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:27:29 AM

it's possibly a bit too technical (although the math required is nothing more than high school level).
Well, as a retiree I should dig out my high School math which ist Long ago Grin Huh Roll Eyes

Haha, I'm sure that won't be a problem. I just mentioned it to make clear that, to follow the book, you don't need a university degree in a field like math or physics, just basic mathematical maturity is enough. And if you're retired, you're definitely mature enough Tongue

blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:28:48 AM

You should also learn that there is next to none empirical evidence for technical analysis to be an effective predictor of future prices
LOADING.READY.RUN

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:31:32 AM

Take a look at tradingview.com! It's an amazing (free!) tool for charting and the Bitcoin chat community is quite active, knowledgable and helpful! Just keep in mind that it isn't obvious easily who's right or wrong, and that even the best chartist/trader does make wrong predictions regularly, so don't follow anyone blindly Wink

As someone else said, it isn't so much about being right or wrong, but about improving your odds, finding critical points where something is bound to happen, and finally managing your trades in a way that you profit in the end.
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:37:50 AM

You should also learn that there is next to none empirical evidence for technical analysis to be an effective predictor of future prices

True. Chapter 2 of the book I linked to goes into that topic. Hint: not every reproducible effect is reproducible in the (rigorous, but  ultimately also extremely conservative) setting of an empirical study.

I used the analogy of chess opening theory in a discussion with Jorge in the wall thread a while ago: imagine you tried to formalize (and program) chess opening theory as a computer scientist, say 20 years ago. No chance. You would have (rightfully) dismissed it as "way too intuitionistic".

However, that doesn't mean that opening theory is worthless, as the practicing chess player well versed in it would have proven to you by kicking your poor alpha beta pruning machine's ass.

Note: the above does not mean everything that's not reproducible in a study is worth following. Homeopathy, cold fusion or denialist climate science come to mind...

JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3976
Merit: 4415

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:56:53 AM

IMHO bitcoin market is very unique.

True, but that's no reason for the OP not to learn TA.

While it may be less applicable to Bitcoin it has a long tradition of successful application in other markets.

Knowledge never hurts. Just remember that, as Einstein said, imagination is more important.

Just don't take TA too seriously.
DolanDuck

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:32:00 PM

Technical analysis, just like any methodology, is not 100% accurate, but it can be a valuable tool, one which can be used in conjunction with other types of analysis to help improve your stock market returns.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
xybersurfer

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 04:43:17 PM

also check out Goomboo's Journal thread. he's using a simple method, and there is tons of other information in that thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60501.0

BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:14:46 PM

Hello ! Smiley

I m "trading" just for fun and i even made a little bit of profit, but most of the time i m just wildly guessing. I justt ry to buy low and sell high - if thats not working, then i m bagholding like a champ.  ~:)

Thanks in advance

And to get how bitcoin is NOT like a stock, I would read SlipperySlope's  Stephen Reed's Million Dollar Logistic Model Thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366214.0

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:25:36 AM

to me daytrading feels like gambling.  i'll stick to blackjack -  i like my odds better.   
Benjig

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:31:40 AM

to me daytrading feels like gambling.  i'll stick to blackjack -  i like my odds better.   

Yes , only with alts you can get some signs of a dump / pump , but with bitcoin you can be seeing a very bearish orderbook and then suddenly one whale appears and make a million buy.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: