Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:57:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to learn!  (Read 2138 times)
Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:40:09 AM

to me daytrading feels like gambling.  i'll stick to blackjack -  i like my odds better.   

i feel the opposite. i hate playing against the house. the odds are stacked against you. at least when you are playing against other market participants, it's more so a test of skill. like 60% skill, 40% luck or something..... Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:40:28 AM

IMHO bitcoin market is very unique.

This is what I thought due to how it fluctuates, but a lot of people argue otherwise based on the data gathered from historical prices. I still think it's just coincidence that things match up the way they do though.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:43:24 AM

This is what I thought due to how it fluctuates, but a lot of people argue otherwise based on the data gathered from historical prices. I still think it's just coincidence that things match up the way they do though.

what would you expect, though? like any other investment vehicle/speculative asset, it is traded on a market. that comes with fundamentals, technicals, sentiment, etc, just like any other asset. sure, i think bitcoin is more or a less a new asset class, but that doesn't mean it isn't subject to the same market dynamics as all other instruments traded on markets. and there are plenty of extremely volatile instruments out there.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 07:53:33 AM

what would you expect, though? like any other investment vehicle/speculative asset, it is traded on a market. that comes with fundamentals, technicals, sentiment, etc, just like any other asset. sure, i think bitcoin is more or a less a new asset class, but that doesn't mean it isn't subject to the same market dynamics as all other instruments traded on markets. and there are plenty of extremely volatile instruments out there.

Wouldn't you think that the regulated vs unregulated market would have an effect though? We're basically in the wild west here.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:25:22 AM

Wouldn't you think that the regulated vs unregulated market would have an effect though? We're basically in the wild west here.

Regulation doesn't change anything in that respect. People still have the same reactions to the gain and loss of money. It's precisely that psychology that makes TA work for any speculative asset.

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:52:13 PM

Regulation doesn't change anything in that respect. People still have the same reactions to the gain and loss of money. It's precisely that psychology that makes TA work for any speculative asset.

I was thinking along the lines of market manipulation. For example, we hear the news about China and Bitcoin drops like a rock. They legalize it and it shoots up. This went on for a while, over and over. We wouldn't be experiencing the same thing in the stock market.

We wouldn't be Goxxed in the stock market either.

Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:16:23 PM

I was thinking along the lines of market manipulation. For example, we hear the news about China and Bitcoin drops like a rock. They legalize it and it shoots up. This went on for a while, over and over. We wouldn't be experiencing the same thing in the stock market.

We wouldn't be Goxxed in the stock market either.

we could experience similar things. what happens to the stock of a biotech company when the FDA rejects their wonder drug on trial? or vice versa -- gives the green light to a groundbreaking drug. similar effects are seen there, methinks.
Broseph Stalin

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:44:19 PM

I'm pretty much just starting to grasp TA myself, but I can really recommend following people on tradingview and trying to replicate their charts.
I learn by seeing and doing, so applying the TA of others and seeing the results help a lot.
Gimmelfarb

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:53:22 PM

I'm pretty much just starting to grasp TA myself, but I can really recommend following people on tradingview and trying to replicate their charts.
I learn by seeing and doing, so applying the TA of others and seeing the results help a lot.

yes, this can help. however, be careful not to go blindly on the TA of others. it is very easy to miss a projection, and then it is up to you to adapt to the market. i think some people look at another person's chart, thinks "that's plausible", then when a prediction or formation gets invalidated, they don't realize it.
Broseph Stalin

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 09:58:18 PM

yes, this can help. however, be careful not to go blindly on the TA of others. it is very easy to miss a projection, and then it is up to you to adapt to the market. i think some people look at another person's chart, thinks "that's plausible", then when a prediction or formation gets invalidated, they don't realize it.

Yeah, absolutely. I find my self both agreeing and disagreeing with people I follow, which is good. That means I'm thinking logically and going deeper into the meaning of their analysis. If I was just looking at a bullish scenario and applying my emotions to it, believing that it sounds plausible because I want it to go up, that would be very bad and could lead me to lose it all.

I've learned that you have to be willing to adapt to changes when you see them. My first chart had a channel leading up to $621.. then we broke out of it. I really had to trust in my ability to understand what was going on then and change my strategy.
HarHarHar9965

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:02:27 PM

yep easy to get swept up in other people's charts. i have learned the hard way -- i trust my own TA and no one else's!!
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:31:28 AM

babypips.com can teach you the basics of candlestick patterns, fibonacci, and basic indicators and they apply to forex.

The forex market is similar to the bitcoin market because of its decentralized nature and relative stability of the supply-side - more similar than stocks at least.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 01:36:45 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 10:07:13 AM by freedomno1

Investopedia has a good set of dictionaries that help
Reading the SEC securities books also are really helpful
https://www.csi.ca/student/en_ca/courses/csi/fp1.xhtml

sss