Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:51:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Events that changed the world...  (Read 4766 times)
sana8410 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 03:44:39 PM

What do you think were the most significant events of the 19th, 20th or 21st century? Wars, Revolutions, Political Ideology, Technological innovations? What events do you think truly changed the world?

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 04:12:16 PM

I think the bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima by US forces in year 1945 was an event which significantly changed the history of the world.

Because the world has seen the use of such horrible weapons of mass destruction, it successfully ensured an era of peace that has seen no major wars (invasions like US invasion of Iraq doesn't really count) for more than half a century. Before this, the world has NEVER seen a period of peace that lasted so long.

So I'd like to think the sacrifices of the people of Nagasaki & Hiroshima has at least brought the world lasting peace and prevented much more lives from being lost. Sad

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." - J. Robert Oppenheimer, the main scientist behind the creation of the Atomic bomb

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:19:56 PM

I think the bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima by US forces in year 1945 was an event which significantly changed the history of the world.

Because the world has seen the use of such horrible weapons of mass destruction, it successfully ensured an era of peace that has seen no major wars (invasions like US invasion of Iraq doesn't really count) for more than half a century. Before this, the world has NEVER seen a period of peace that lasted so long.

So I'd like to think the sacrifices of the people of Nagasaki & Hiroshima has at least brought the world lasting peace and prevented much more lives from being lost. Sad

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." - J. Robert Oppenheimer, the main scientist behind the creation of the Atomic bomb

I suppose you can argue that the use of nuclear weapons at that time might have led to them not being used later, for example against china during the Korean war, which could have led down a pretty bad road. But don't forget that the world came pretty close to nuclear war on several occasions (the Cuban missile crisis being one such occasion); the truth is it was closer to sheer luck that such thing never took place, and the reality is we're not out of the woods yet.

Now, even in the absence of nuclear war, or a major world war, saying that "invasions like US invasion of Iraq doesn't really count" is silly; doesn't count to whom? It certainly counted to all those that died, which weren't few by any means, and to their loved ones. It also counted in that it pretty much destroyed the country and the lives of many of its people. Also, you never had a period of peace lasting half a century: there was constant war going on, but the type of war bullies like, I suppose: big guys beating on weak defenseless people. In fact, after WW2 the US saw that it could implement its long held dream of ruling the world (or much of it), and went for it. See the wars, conflicts and coups that took place in Southeast Asia, the Middle East, South America, parts of Europe, Africa, etc., for more details.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:34:21 PM

Let me just caveat my post with a mention of the fact that it should've never happened the way it did and a peaceful resolution should've been mediated or just let the South go. But, the civil way or war for southern independece (depending on one's historical allegiances) saw major advances in small arms advancements as well as artillery which could be a good or bad thing. Also, despite the vast thousands of people who lost limbs via combat wounds, this led to enhancements in medical treatments like minor anesthetics and new pain medication. The period also wiped out almost an entire generation of mostly men in the country w/ a higher percentage in the south which probably hampered their renewal during the reconstruction period. However, during the war and most notably in the aftermath is when people decided to go west and this started the frontier movement and all the entanglements w/ the natives. This is the time period known as Manifest Destiny in American history. Wagon trains of families joined together w/ guides and the train master to travel in unison across the country and they had to endure everything form native attacks, drought, flash floods, land slides, river crossings, running out of food, etc on their way west to reach the promised land of California. Pretty interesting (yet unfortunate in some ways) period in our history. Back east the industrial revolution was just getting underway while people that lost plenty during the war picked up and went west. Then, they turned the reigns over to W. Wilson and it's been mostly going downhill ever since.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 05:51:08 PM

You will eventually have to include the genesis block of bit coin as a moment that changed the world.  Grin

validium

Activity: 350

Decentralized thinking

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:47:16 PM

20th century: The PC, nukes
21st century: 9/11, Bitcoin(may be).... its still early, 14 years only Cool

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 06:55:47 PM

1. 1945 - nuclear bombs dropped in Nagasaki and Hiroshima
2. 1933 - Hitler appointed as chancellor of Germany
3. 1991 - Disintegration of the USSR
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:19:20 PM

at least in more recent times, i'd say in 1998 when congress removed the glass-steagall act. it opened the doors for bankers and wallstreeters to exploit our economy. bill clinton had a big role in this.. too bad the republicans can't really go after him on this, since they are in bed with the bankers.
u9y42
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 07:29:47 PM

at least in more recent times, i'd say in 1998 when congress removed the glass-steagall act. it opened the doors for bankers and wallstreeters to exploit our economy. bill clinton had a big role in this.. too bad the republicans can't really go after him on this, since they are in bed with the bankers.

A small correction if you don't mind: bankers, particularly those in higher positions, should now be referred to as banksters (from banker + gangster). Tongue
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 08:23:03 PM

The power shift from Britain to the United States.
This has changed the world's technology and ideas.
Skele

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 08:24:38 PM

First Cloned Sheep(1996)

Dolly (5 July 1996 – 14 February 2003) was a female domestic sheep, and the first mammal to be cloned from an adult somatic cell, using the process of nuclear transfer.

President Barack Obama Elected(2008)

Web(1991)

The World Wide Web (WWW) was created in 1989 by Sir Tim Berners-Lee. Robert Cailliau later joined in 1990.
beetcoin

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 08:25:18 PM

The power shift from Britain to the United States.
This has changed the world's technology and ideas.

what, when did this happen? the U.S. was not the world power that it is today.. at least until world war 2, where they profited the most. i think that's when the U.S. currency become the world standard.. and fractional reserve banking started around this time as well.
practicaldreamer

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 08:31:08 PM

19th Century - a] Faraday's dynamo, that generated electricity     b]"Origin of the Species", Charles Darwin (though I'm not sure thats an "event")

minime

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 08:37:51 PM

life,fire
u9y42
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 08:43:21 PM

life,fire

I think it's safe to say that those events are older than 200 years. Grin (remember, the OP asked for something from the 19th century onward)
minime

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 08:44:45 PM

life,fire

I think it's safe to say that those events are older than 200 years. Grin (remember, the OP asked for something from the 19th century onward)
ow just read topic lol
aysha9822

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 08:45:29 PM

1. Industrial revolution
2. Discovery of Electricity and its uses
3. Discovery of Radio waves and its uses
4. Hitler
5. Invention of Rocket Engine
6. Atomic Bomb
7. Invention of Satellites
8. Invention of Internet

minime

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 08:46:54 PM

life,fire

than i´d say ww1 ww2 bretton woods 911 maybe lehman
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2014, 10:48:21 PM

2009: Satoshi mines the first block.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
nickenburg

Merit: 511

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 11:26:13 PM

My event toplist:
- Cellphone
- Internet
- Camera's
- Science

But what was the best event for humanity is my question!
And what will become the best event for us in the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: