Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:48:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay will go bankrupt in 10-15 yrs, and Bitcoin will be largely to blame  (Read 4021 times)
Markjacobs (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 12:27:30 AM

Bitcoin will not be the only factor, but it will be the main factor. Ebay has to deal with companies like Alibaba, Amazon, and now possibly Apple taking market share from it. They don't innovate and they won't innovate/change their PayPal unit because they're too scared. It has been suggested that eBay incorporate bitcoin, but they won't do that because bitcoin is still in its early stages. By the time bitcoin expands and is widely used PayPal will be unable to take the lead in digital currencies. This is without the hacking revelations that recently surfaced, which are likely to get worse. I used to like Ebay, but they charge fees that make resorting to bitcoin look like heaven. Their stock has lagged too in 2013, where everything went up. Bitcoin won't be the only factor in their demise, but it will be the main one.

Article that explains this in detail: http://www.panture.com/why-bitcoin-will-force-ebay-to-go-bankrupt/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 12:52:32 AM

If you think so then short the stock
agoraadnim

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 12:57:54 AM

Nice. Ebay completely blows atm. Charging 10% fees for everything plus Paypal fees, Paypal 21 day funds hold, and Ebay "Indefinitely suspended" my account for selling digital currency. I hope they go bankrupt this year.

❂❂❂How I make a living with Bitcoins
Free Bitcoin Methods
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:04:38 AM

yeah they peaked and arrived at the top probably in the mid or early 2000's, and since then they've either sought to buy out competition (like craigslist) or stifle it. on top of that, they charge exorbitant fees to sellers and protect the buyers, so there will be less incentive for using them.. and i'm glad for this. taking 13% of the revenues is ridiculous.
lilfiend

Activity: 96

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:20:11 AM

If ebay fails as a business model it will fail because of outrages fees, a broken feedback system, or a competitor, not because of a currency.

[Insert E-peen here]
bluefirecorp
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:21:14 AM

If ebay fails as a business model it will fail because of outrages fees, a broken feedback system, or a competitor, not because of a currency.

I agree that ebay fees are outrageous, I mean check out this thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=596509.0

Honestly, I see ebay accepting bitcoin if it ever became mainstream. Adapt or die in this sort of situation. No company wants to just die.

nkocevar

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:21:43 AM

Paypal and ebay together are good companies... but they are far surpassed by bitcoins. Also, they charge much to high of fees. How can one make a profit if the fee is 12.5%?

twiifm

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:23:13 AM

Say what you want about eBay.  When you are trying to sell some shippable crap it works better than Craigslist & Amazon
lilfiend

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:26:36 AM

Paypal and ebay together are good companies... but they are far surpassed by bitcoins. Also, they charge much to high of fees. How can one make a profit if the fee is 12.5%?

Ebay owns paypal, they are not separate companies.

Also ebay's net worth is just shy of 20 billion while bitcoin's market cap is under 7.4 billion

[Insert E-peen here]
nkocevar

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:27:21 AM

Also ebay's net worth is just shy of 20 billion while bitcoin's market cap is under 7.4 billion

Ebay does own paypal, but they are *technically* two different companies...

bluefirecorp
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:28:05 AM

Say what you want about eBay.  When you are trying to sell some shippable crap it works better than Craigslist & Amazon

I was hoping for a better solution between the two. A more free and open ebay type auction site. Honestly, I could see a layout such as the silkroad surpassing ebay in the next 20 years.

nkocevar

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:29:17 AM

I was hoping for a better solution between the two. A more free and open ebay type auction site. Honestly, I could see a layout such as the silkroad surpassing ebay in the next 20 years.

But silkroad still charges fees. We need a marketplace that charges as LITTLE fees as possible... maybe a vendor one-time fee and then no "commission" fees

lilfiend

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:29:56 AM

Ebay does own paypal, but they are *technically* two different companies...

it's *technically* a subsidiary but who's getting all *technical* about it?

[Insert E-peen here]
bluefirecorp
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:31:04 AM

But silkroad still charges fees. We need a marketplace that charges as LITTLE fees as possible... maybe a vendor one-time fee and then no "commission" fees

Hosting servers aren't free. It's pretty expensive to host servers. Honestly, I was thinking a market place with maybe 1-2% of fees of the TOTAL sale. Say you're processing $10MM, that's at least 100-200k to pay for servers and such. That's pretty reasonable imho.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:35:36 AM

Fees are absurd, and this is not entirely (or even mostly, I think) a symptom of fiat's inferiority. Their fees were much lower even after a few years of operation, but they scaled to mainstream very poorly and are now bloated beyond reason. What they spend their money on, I have no idea... low-key buyouts of potential competitors, maybe. I was quite fond of BitMit, but haven't found any of the newcomers particularly appealing. I'm pleased to keep the sale of depreciating goods on this forum and bump the thread every week or two than feed that grotesque beast. Speaking of which...
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:56:24 AM

we should get bonanza.com to take btc
twiifm

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 01:59:21 AM

Hosting servers aren't free. It's pretty expensive to host servers. Honestly, I was thinking a market place with maybe 1-2% of fees of the TOTAL sale. Say you're processing $10MM, that's at least 100-200k to pay for servers and such. That's pretty reasonable imho.

Only if there is no back office.  It might be something like Craigslist though

A lot of small sellers run their business on EBay and they need some of EBay's tools
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:06:41 AM

I'm someone that actually lives off selling on Ebay and Amazon and I have no problem with the fees at all. No other sites promote my sales with advertising and search engines as well as Amazon and Ebay. Doesn't matter what the fees are if you aren't making sales. I'll happily pay even more (I pay around 30% to Amazon to take care of nearly everything). I do have a problem with the restrictions - like only being able to accept PayPal (or do my own credit card processing) I used to accept checks on Ebay before the restriction and never had a problem and would now love to accept Bitcoin. Or the fact that I can't sell clothes or cell phones on Amazon.

I want Dark Market (or Open Bazaar) to get going. That will be the shit. Assuming, of course, search engines index it.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:14:29 AM

I'm someone that actually lives off selling on Ebay and Amazon and I have no problem with the fees at all. No other sites promote my sales with advertising and search engines as well as Amazon and Ebay. Doesn't matter what the fees are if you aren't making sales. I'll happily pay even more (I pay around 30% to Amazon to take care of nearly everything). I do have a problem with the restrictions - like only being able to accept PayPal (or do my own credit card processing) I used to accept checks on Ebay before the restriction and never had a problem and would now love to accept Bitcoin. Or the fact that I can't sell clothes or cell phones on Amazon.

I want Dark Market (or Open Bazaar) to get going. That will be the shit. Assuming, of course, search engines index it.

i guess you make enough margin to cover the exorbitant fees.. in which case, that's cool and all. but for me, it gets more and more difficult.. especially with USPS raising prices.
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:15:35 AM

Hey, just went to http://openbazaar.org/ after mentioning it and see they have a donation button. I donated! So can you!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: