Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:53:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TrueCrypt's Web Site Updates with Ominous Warning, Details Unknown  (Read 4910 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:07:28 AM

http://lifehacker.com/truecrypts-web-site-updates-with-ominous-warning-detai-1582879439?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_twitter&utm_source=lifehacker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mikez

Activity: 508
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 12:55:44 PM

I think this is Lavabit all over again.
Hence the instructions for Bitlocker on their page. Bitlocker being a patentary closed source encryption tool developed by Microsoft.

Charlie Prime

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:18:43 PM

With closed-source software, the failures are always bigger and more costly.

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 02:36:39 PM

I think this is Lavabit all over again.
Hence the instructions for Bitlocker on their page. Bitlocker being a patentary closed source encryption tool developed by Microsoft.

Yep. Apparently, the key used to sign version 7.2 on the site (the modified, declared-insecure, decrypt-only version) is the same as that used to sign previous versions, so barring an even bigger issue, this is the same folks.

Them recommending Bitlocker (ha!) is their way of letting us know they've been coerced into stopping (or scared of impending exposure, which I guess is pretty much the same thing... I wouldn't want to be a publicly-known member of the TrueCrypt development team in a post-911 world.)

Considering the nature of this shutdown, and the lack of any real alternative, I personally have every intention of continuing to use earlier versions of the software, albeit with an extra precaution or two taken.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:14:11 PM

Have you tried to download an old version to see what happen?  Hmmm
5flags

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=629807.0

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:16:53 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2014, 03:43:09 PM by westkybitcoins

I may have spoken too soon regarding there being no real alternatives.

Investigating DiskCryptor right now. It's Windows-only, but at least it's compatible with TrueCrypt....

EDIT: *sigh* Yes, I understand Windows itself is insecure, but it's still used by many folks, and having secure data on a Windows system is of use to many people.

EDIT: Never mind

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 03:22:56 PM

Possibilities:

- UEFI was to much of a pain to overcome.
- NSA Security letter received.
- Other

Questions are:

Why wasn't it just passed to the community?
Why force people to stop using it?

Apparently it is unrelated to the audit that was being carried out. But it seems odd that the devs are advocating Bitlocker. Did money change hands?

Why would Microsoft's end-of-life date for Windows XP affect it?

Very, very odd.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 03:32:13 PM

Possibilities:

- UEFI was to much of a pain to overcome.
- NSA Security letter received.
- Other

Questions are:

Why wasn't it just passed to the community?
Why force people to stop using it?

Apparently it is unrelated to the audit that was being carried out. But it seems odd that the devs are advocating Bitlocker. Did money change hands?

Why would Microsoft's end-of-life date for Windows XP affect it?

Very, very odd.

I can only guess telling people to use bitlocker, a program that is closed source and only running on Windows machine is a way to say covertly that nothing is really safe anymore?

Thank you for your thread link.
PrivacyIsImportant

Activity: 50
Merit: 24

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:05:05 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2018, 06:52:02 PM by PrivacyIsImportant

You must not believe those awful rumors, TC project was intercepted by NSA and now they control it.
DO NOT USE 7.2 BECAUSE IT IS A COMPROMISED VERSION.
Use 7.1a from the original author, you can find it here:

http://cyberside.net.ee/truecrypt/

Always verify the sha1 and md5 checksums!
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 06:48:12 PM

I'm almost ready to say "Adios forum". My health hasn't been this great in years. Almost time to move on to the next big thing (NBT).

And what did I warn you about TrueCrypt just a couple of weeks ago Wink

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 06:59:53 PM

I'm almost ready to say "Adios forum". My health hasn't been this great in years. Almost time to move on to the next big thing (NBT).

I don't know you obviously but I hope you will get better..
Can you link me to that warning?

practicaldreamer

Activity: 770

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 10:35:45 PM

So let me get this straight - and forgive me , because I'm no expert on tech issues - TrueCrypt is/was open source and was maintained by (anonymous) volunteers. To make double sure of the integrity of its encryption (?) it raised enough funds to have an independant "audit" that would give the program a "stress test" - or am I completely off track here ?

Half way through the "audit" (which had thus far been going well) the open source volunteers agree unanimously to cease continuation/support for the Truecrypt project. Is this correct ?

Truecrypt is no longer fit for purpose ?? Sounds very odd to me.

And if its open source can't others take up the challenge ?

I use 7.0a - is this vulnerable ?

No - I think he meant that he is doing very well health wise, on the basis that he is an absolutely unprecedented genius and that he "told you so", Wilikon.

I'm almost ready to say "Adios forum".

Is that a promise ?
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:31:08 AM

So let me get this straight - and forgive me , because I'm no expert on tech issues - TrueCrypt is/was open source and was maintained by (anonymous) volunteers. To make double sure of the integrity of its encryption (?) it raised enough funds to have an independant "audit" that would give the program a "stress test" - or am I completely off track here ?

Half way through the "audit" (which had thus far been going well) the open source volunteers agree unanimously to cease continuation/support for the Truecrypt project. Is this correct ?

Truecrypt is no longer fit for purpose ?? Sounds very odd to me.

And if its open source can't others take up the challenge ?

I use 7.0a - is this vulnerable ?

No - I think he meant that he is doing very well health wise, on the basis that he is an absolutely unprecedented genius and that he "told you so", Wilikon.

I'm almost ready to say "Adios forum".

Is that a promise ?

Yep. I knew that. Next time I will add a  Roll Eyes

The last version I know of is 7.1a.
Mikez

Activity: 508

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 12:42:40 AM

I hope his health to remain as it is now!
No, I'm not wishing him ill, read the part about his health again Smiley
I'll be frank, at first that's how I read it too.

EDIT: Ah! Had the Leave a reply window open for some time now and forgot to click... someone beat me to it.
EDIT2: Looked for that warning in the last 15 pages of his posts, couldn't find 'Truecrypt', except for the current thread.

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 02:55:30 AM

I hope his health to remain as it is now!
No, I'm not wishing him ill, read the part about his health again Smiley
I'll be frank, at first that's how I read it too.

EDIT: Ah! Had the Leave a reply window open for some time now and forgot to click... someone beat me to it.
EDIT2: Looked for that warning in the last 15 pages of his posts, couldn't find 'Truecrypt', except for the current thread.

It was a private warning and those who received it know who they are and what the quoted message above was intended to signal is almost ready. Wink

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
OhMyCoin

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

Long live Bitcoin.

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 03:02:41 AM

Do i stop using TrueCrypt  Huh
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 06:12:31 AM

Do i stop using TrueCrypt  Huh

I have a Windows 7 laptop that is Truecrypted, I don't intend to change that. For Windows 8, I do use Bitlocker - if you're running 7 or earlier, you're probably OK to keep using it.

TheIrishman
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 30, 2014, 06:21:44 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2014, 07:15:34 AM by TheIrishman

I've been using TrueCrypt since its first releases and this is really bad news. Luckily, every time a new version was released, I downloaded it for all available OS's - even though I'm on XP 64 - and stored the installers in multiple places.

There is a very nice open source alternative called DiskCryptor, which I used for a while and is even better than TrueCrypt in some aspects. For example, on XP systems TrueCrypt never allowed for non-system partitions to be encrypted or decrypted on the fly - you need to encrypt and format the partition with TrueCrypt and only then copy data to it. Both DiskCryptor and the popular commercial software DriveCrypt Plus Pack have always been able to encrypt and decrypt any type of partition on the fly on XP.

Another drawback with TrueCrypt is that the program never allowed for swap files to reside anywhere outside the encrypted system partition. Before I started encrypting all my stuff, I used to have partitions on 2 or 3 different drives exclusively for swap files, which ended up working as a kind of RAID 0 for paged memory. Of course keeping a swap file on an unencrypted partition would be a huge security hole, but TC won't let you create swap files on other partitions even if they are encrypted. Again, both DiskCryptor and DriveCrypt Plus Pack place no restrictions on how many swap files you create and where. TC's approach to this has always seemed pointless to me, since if you're encrypting your stuff you're supposed to be careful enough not to place swap files on unencrypted partitions.

The only reasons I don't use DriveCryptor instead of TrueCrypt are because it's only available for Windows and I like to keep open the possibility of accessing my encrypted data from Linux, and also it doesn't feature container based encryption.

http://www.diskcryptor.net/wiki/Main_Page

"DiskCryptor is an open encryption solution that offers encryption of all disk partitions, including the system partition. The fact of openess goes in sharp contrast with the current situation, where most of the software with comparable functionality is completely proprietary, which makes it unacceptable to use for protection of confidential data.

Originally DiskCryptor was developed as a replacement for DriveCrypt Plus Pack and PGP Whole Disk Encryption (WDE). However the current aim of the project is to create the best product in its category. Moreover, in the future, considerable effort will be devoted to the creation of detailed documentation, explaining the internal mechanics of the program, which would be the best confirmation and demonstration of its security."
5flags

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2014, 06:30:24 AM

...even though I'm on XP 64...

So you're the guy using XP x64!!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: