Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:03:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Warning] Truecrypt has been discontinued, declared not safe  (Read 2665 times)
bananaControl

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:35:41 AM

A small program sniffing for your private keys or passwords whenever you run xyz-program doesn't take much imagination after the revelations of snowden.

At some level your going to have to trust someone. If you don't trust Windows, run a Linux installation. The big ones generally have been looked at enough to avoid it. If you're afraid of hardware level spying there really isn't much you can do short of building everything single piece of equipment (and I don't mean buying the parts - I mean literally building your CPU/GPU/Mobo etc). As you can see it's rather difficult to do that so if you want to use a computer you're going to have to at least trust that the hardware manufacturers aren't grouping up with the NSA to spy on you. Or just don't use a computer.

But using a closed OS made by a large US company and then talk about security is just meaningless. It's such a low hanging fruit for the NSA... Of course if you don't really care about privacy and just want to hide your bitcoins from your wife, then it's all good.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinforhelp

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:39:55 AM

by me, they were forced by nsa to shutdown and winked with this absurd instructions with bitlocker about it
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 11:43:16 AM

by me, they were forced by nsa to shutdown and winked with this absurd instructions with bitlocker about it

So did anyone backup the old application? Is the old source code still available?
5flags (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

Professional anarchist

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 12:22:34 PM

So did anyone backup the old application? Is the old source code still available?

Yes, I know I have copies of the binaries, and others have posted them. I think the source code has already appeared on GitHub.

There are licensing issues though - it was never really released under an open source license.

http://5fla.gs - @5flags on Twitter
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 12:26:36 PM

Yes, I know I have copies of the binaries, and others have posted them. I think the source code has already appeared on GitHub.

There are licensing issues though - it was never really released under an open source license.

Not important at all as long as you use it privately.
eXch

Activity: 106
Merit: 553

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2014, 01:45:38 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2014, 03:53:59 PM by eXch.cc

Total bulls#!&
Don't listen to rumours being spread by the NSA
I am quite sure that TrueCrypt developer was paid OR silently arrested by the NSA then they had modified the official site.
TrueCrypt is using a proven open techniques, nobody can crack Serpent+Aes combinations, so stopping using TC just because they "had stopped a developing" would be stupid, as well as because TC hadn't any official releases during a long time period, because it's secure and stable!

Also, look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Truecrypt-end
Who would be trying to modify the official wiki page so steadily and stressfully (3 times) ? Suddenly... And in a so dirty way...
... Only a hacker or the government!!!

"[...] Note: even though it originally came from an acronym, Tor is not spelled "TOR". Only the first letter is capitalized. In fact, we can usually spot people who haven't read any of our website (and have instead learned everything they know about Tor from news articles) by the fact that they spell it wrong."
 -- https://support.torproject.org/about/why-is-it-called-tor
PrivacyIsImportant

Activity: 50
Merit: 24

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:15:00 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2018, 06:55:48 PM by PrivacyIsImportant

Don't believe to these NSA thieves!
Here is a TrueCrypt 7.1a valid mirror:

http://cyberside.net.ee/truecrypt/

But don't forget to verify the checksums!
boymilk

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:29:07 PM
Last edit: May 29, 2014, 05:00:56 PM by boymilk

This is all very weird, but perhaps there is an explanation not involving the NSA:

The last version of Truecrypt was released in early 2012 and by then, the code was getting quite old and messy. The recent preliminary audit has already revealed a number of minor to moderate issues which the developers might not have been too keen on fixing because they were getting tired of the whole thing so instead they chose to abandon their project rather than completely revamping it for the post-Windows XP era. That and perhaps they also decided that all of the modifications to the code that would be necessary for it to work seamlessly with Windows 8 wasn't worth the trouble. The developers also, for whatever reason, didn't like the idea of having their project forked (hence the reason why they always stubbornly stuck to their own license instead of using one of the more common open source licenses) so they decided to yank the whole thing instead of passing it over to another group.

Now, if you were to discontinue a project, you would warn people that it was - from that point on, insecure and no longer recommended, wouldn't you? Especially for something like encryption where security is very important. After all, once Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP, they went on and on about how insecure it was too. Well perhaps the same thing is going on here. If they didn't say that Truecrypt was insecure then 5 or 10 years from now, bugs might have been discovered in the code and people who were still using the program and thought that it was still secure would be blaming the Truecrypt developers for not warning them about it.

The reason why they recommend BitLocker could be because they know that most people who visit their site aren't crypto experts and so BitLocker would be the most accessible and realistic choice for this audience.

I'm not saying that I believe this theory, but it's possible.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:33:58 PM

The Bitlocker code is obviously closed source, but I trust in Market forces - unless my computer is storing my plans to release smallpox in the US, Microsoft would be unlikely to take the commercial hit of using any present backdoor, since it would be a use-once backdoor before everyone knew about it.

I don't know if there is a backdoor but if there is it would not become public knowledge unless fished out by third party experts.  Secret warrant signed by a secret judge in a secret court would authorize the tap.  Hack into computer, obtain encrypted data, use backdoor to decrypt.  Now the entity has the data.  Prove that it was obtained from a backdoor and not some other failure of security on your part.  You may swear up and down that you were super secure and the NSA had to use a backdoor in bitlocker to obtain the data but how many people would believe you?
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2014, 04:36:28 PM

'Tis the off topic section. It doesn't have to deal with Bitcoin.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 1299

View Profile
June 01, 2014, 09:05:03 PM

Now some involved tangentially are saying they received a NSL in "TrueCrypt warrant canary confirmed?":

http://meta.ath0.com/2014/05/30/truecrypt-warrant-canary-confirmed/

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: