Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 08:16:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning something new!  (Read 932 times)
ahmedjadoon
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 06:30:10 PM

Newbies usually start out with W3Schools www.w3schools.com .Its quiet good for beginners but when you more seriously want to take you within those things then should star taking professional programming classes.
skottiejay (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 110

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 06:53:25 PM

There are a wide variety of resources available just to learn the basics of programming until you can get your hands on a programming course, or get a better feel for it. It's great how many things you can find online today, that's mostly how I've learned is self taught. I am going back to school for a CS degree, but anything I can do until I actually start working on programming classes, this is pretty much all self taught.

What else could I say?
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:58:44 AM

Interesting TED Talk: Try something new every 30 days.

http://www.ted.com/talks/matt_cutts_try_something_new_for_30_days

It's a pretty neat thing to try imo. You can learn a lot and pick up new hobbies.

It's interesting you bring up those talks because that's part of the reason why I'm actually doing this. I'm in a downtime between school and finding work, so I figured why not learn something in the meantime. I'm doing something productive. I've also looked into learning a new language (speaking) to fill in the gap between this time and keep my mind occupied.

I've watched like a billion talks about stuff like this, I really enjoy them and it helps me feel productive!

UPDATE: I will probably be moving on to more complicated matters, like something beyond "Hello world" but I can't figure out what to do yet. Any suggestions?

I've tried a few codecademy courses; I don't think I can remember anything without looking it up lol

Perhaps you should try something a bit more complex than "hello world" in each language? A simple app?
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 02:33:43 AM

That's what I was thinking myself, probably something simple like a website look up or something to that nature. I just wanted to get my own and others feet wet and see how simple some languages can be. I'll have to think on this one, because I haven't actually thought ahead about this just what I'm doing now.

Thanks for the suggestion!

What else could I say?
skottiejay (OP)

bitcoinnaire

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2014, 05:42:39 PM

I've been busy the past couple of days setting up Visual Studio and working on some projects, was thinking of making a live ticker that shows you the price of BTC at the moment, have to work around getting the data from a site. More or less it's a proof of concept for myself, that I can actually take the knowledge I do have of C# and use it.

Any other suggestions guys, I'm trying to think of a project. Maybe a simple ircbot or something.

What else could I say?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: