Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:46:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think Nvidia Kepler will be THE mining card to have from now on ?  (Voting closed: May 15, 2012, 10:53:10 AM)
Yes - 1 (2.7%)
No - 23 (62.2%)
Maybe - 13 (35.1%)
Other ( post in thread ) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nvidia Kepler : killer or average mining card ?  (Read 3933 times)
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 01:47:38 AM

http://fastra2.ua.ac.be/?page_id=214

I have heard people report they couldn't get 7 or 8 GPU to be detected in BAMT or other Linux distro.  I have never had an issue at 8 GPU but I turn everything off in the BIOS which may free up space in this legacy 64KB memory map to allow at least 8 GPU to be detected.

Praise you! That is a brilliant find indeed, DAT. Yet another potential point of failure I never considered.
Then again, always having gone berserk in the BIOS I never encountered any issues with missing GPUs.
The diligence does pay off, I guess...

The truth is, the old BIOS implementations can barely be called up to snuff today.
UEFI should deal the coup de grace and take over as a ruling standard with great benefit to the whole ecosystem.
No more messing with code devised in the 80s...

Kepler will without doubt suck at integer ops - it's non-trivial to change the architecture enough to turn a well known Achilles' heel into a strong point.
Bitcoin is by no means significant enough to warrant the labor, not by orders of magnitude.

It's quite funny as the same performance characteristics that make AMD cards better suited for mining are what makes those cards inferior to nVidia's for many GPGPU applications.
According to Trenton and other manufacturers of incredible computing systems, their design service includes BIOS rewrites - presumably because a custom BIOS must be written for each application, or at least for some of the high density GPGPU systems they produce.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: