Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:52:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Weekend Dip Myth  (Read 27232 times)
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 09:51:38 PM

These forums, especially, have become quiet. No threads asserting "LONG SQUEEZE", "STARFISH ON SELL", and the like seem to be popping up anymore.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85687

Some user in that thread is shouting either PLUNGE or SQUEEZE all the time, depending on the drugs he has taken. Sometimes I even agree with him.

yet the question hasn't been sufficiently answered: where are the shorts?

the shorts are on Gox, in the form of sold bitcoins

I've still got my buy orders set for $2 a piece Smiley

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2012, 10:12:46 PM

These forums, especially, have become quiet. No threads asserting "LONG SQUEEZE", "STARFISH ON SELL", and the like seem to be popping up anymore.

Some user in that thread is shouting either PLUNGE or SQUEEZE all the time, depending on the drugs he has taken. Sometimes I even agree with him.

I've still got my buy orders set for $2 a piece Smiley

i was wondering why anyone would have bids so low.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 10:24:57 PM

that wouldn't be called a "short squeeze" then, though. no forced liquidations.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2012, 12:39:59 AM

that wouldn't be called a "short squeeze" then, though. no forced liquidations.

if they want to stay in the game they will buy back.

i got squeezed  a few months ago, on the way up to 15 i had sold at 9.xx, price kept moving up, so i bought back in.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 08:49:17 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2012, 01:24:50 AM by Stephen Gornick

The chart shows the weekend dip green light is (barely) on:

- http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg60zig30-minzczsg2012-10-31zeg2012-11-16ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zvzcv

But I'm going to sit this one out.  We're now less than two weeks from the "halving" event, which has never occurred before and drops the daily amount of new coins introduced into circulation by 50% in an instant.  So I'm wary of there being a spark that ignites a rally -- we haven't had that over a weekend for a few months, but when a weekend spike happens, it is sometimes brutal.

Additionally, from another thread:

Roughly two weeks ago we saw demand nearly double ... and then it increased about 50% after we relaunched and then this week is up (if you could fill all orders) about double that.  So more like 50K demand.

Any growth in FC4B looks like pissing on a forrest fire.  Honestly it is hard for me to explain where the demand is coming from but we simply can't handle it.  Not even close.  I hate to turn sales away but even if FC4B doubled we should still be "short".

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 01:24:32 AM

But I'm going to sit this one out.

Fortunately, I did sit that out.  That would have resulted in a loss as right after that post that the exchange rate shot up about 7%.

So that is a definite goose egg as far as the tally for successful trading when there is a Green Light.   I was wondering if an improvement to the Weekend Dip strategy would be to require some threshold of downturn before the "green light" would pop.  The last couple ones that were in a downtrend but by just a narrow degree (e.g,. under just a percent or two drop week-to-week) didn't pan out that well for those trying to profit from a Weekend Dip.   But ones where the degree is wider (i.e., a downtrend is more obvious) then trading the Weekend Dip strategy has been more profitable.

This weekend the Green Light is ON, however this too is one that I won't be jumping on.

The degree of downtrend is pretty small ($13.90 on Dec 14th, then $13.72 on Dec 20th., so just a 1.2% drop from one week's high to the next).   Not a visibly significant downtrend week-to-week.  The following chart makes is look like a downtrend but remember the granularity is the weekly high, and that drop, week-to-week, was just a bit over 1%.

- http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg30zigDailyzczsg2012-12-12zeg2012-12-27ztgOzm1g10zm2g25

Now this is a special weekend though.   The banks in Japan (where Mt. Gox receives its international wire transfers) are closed Monday and Tuesday.  So there is very little new money that will be arriving at Mt. Gox for what is essentially a four-day holiday weekend.   Could this give a reason for sellers to take out the bids (and thus with no inflows of new funds, leave buyers with no cash left to pick off the sell orders?)   It could.  Who knows.

Volume has been pretty low while at the same time the exchange rate has been slowly climbing.  We've seen this before and it oftentimes is followed by some big buys that cause a spike up in the exchange rate.

I'm just not confident that this Green Light really means go, so I'm going to stay on the sidelines as far as trying to profit from a weekend dip trade.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2012, 01:30:44 PM

Overall, I like your perspectives in this thread a lot. I am still not 100% sure if the weekend dip is really something consistent that is useful to trade it.
Particularly the bank opening hours do not play a big role any more (I think). There is so much cash in the exchange. Look at the MtGox order book: The bids  down to 10 $ are almost 1,000,000 USD strong. So, it is just a matter of "buying appetite". People COULD, if they wanted, buy a lot of bitcoins with the cash they have on the exchange. But they don't do it. Perhaps weekend volume is low because people relax and do other things more than trading bitcoins?

dopamine

Activity: 486
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 12:56:12 AM

lets see what the price will be after the weekend  Grin

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2013, 03:40:38 AM

lets see what the price will be after the weekend  Grin

The "weekend dip" isn't universal for every weekend.  At least not the winning pattern that had been recurring over and over.  The weekend dip "green light" would occur when there appears a downturn occurring into the weekend (i.e., at Wednesday evening (west) / Thursday morning (east) grab the 7-day high.  If that is below the previous week's 7-day high, then a downtrend was occurring and selling was more often than not a profitable move as during the weekend an opportunity to buy back would usually be possible.

That trend had a nearly perfect run.  Then it kind of fizzled,

This weekend did not get a weekend dip "green light" as on Wednesday evening (west) / Thursday morning (east) we were seeing a rising exchange rate, when comparing the two week's of 7-day highs.  That doesn't mean it won't dip, it just means the pattern that seemed to repeat isn't being predicted.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Seth Otterstad

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:54:51 AM

LOL at this strategy.  It says to sell on wednesday and buy back on Saturday right?  -14%

Seth Otterstad's Blog          @SethOtterstad on twitter          Seth on google+
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 01:57:15 AM

There were no indicators for a dip!
The strategy isn't half bad when you follow the rules.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 02:31:03 AM

It says to sell on wednesday and buy back on Saturday right? 

Not if you read the post one above yours.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 02:33:14 AM

It says to sell on wednesday and buy back on Saturday right? 

Not if you read the post one above yours.

Sometimes I feel like most people treat this forum as write-only.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
February 10, 2013, 04:56:29 PM

Inoticed the weekend dip recently.  So I've been calculating, and thinking and starring at graphs etc.

the last 3 weekends could have netted anywhere from 10% to 28% (if you bought/sold at EXACTLY the right times)

So this weekend I tried it out.  Lucky I'm only toying with 10BTC while I get a feel for this, cuz this weekend has been a mindfuck!

Steady up for several days then the first increase I jump the first sign of a dip (at $22.50) then the fkn thing went back up too fast.  Now it looks like it's trying to compensate, but it's just fucking with me by bouncing between $23.00 & $23.80.

Anyhoo, I'm not really losing money if I fuck up while this upward trend continues.  I just don't have the same ammount of bitcoins I started with!

Cool

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:25:36 PM

Inoticed the weekend dip recently.  So I've been calculating, and thinking and starring at graphs etc.

the last 3 weekends could have netted anywhere from 10% to 28% (if you bought/sold at EXACTLY the right times)

So this weekend I tried it out.  Lucky I'm only toying with 10BTC while I get a feel for this, cuz this weekend has been a mindfuck!

Steady up for several days then the first increase I jump the first sign of a dip (at $22.50) then the fkn thing went back up too fast.  Now it looks like it's trying to compensate, but it's just fucking with me by bouncing between $23.00 & $23.80.

Anyhoo, I'm not really losing money if I fuck up while this upward trend continues.  I just don't have the same ammount of bitcoins I started with!

Cool

You didn't read the theory or even any of the previous posts, did you?
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2013, 07:56:54 PM

Cool

But the title says it all... weekend dip myth... what more can there possibly be to it?  Grin
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2013, 07:08:33 PM

Cool

But the title says it all... weekend dip myth... what more can there possibly be to it?  Grin

there are 2 kinds of things we don't know: things we know we don't know and things we don't know we don't know.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 01:35:23 PM

Heh... Weekend dip is starting to acquire a whole new meaning, no?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 04:21:00 PM

I think this one is caused by a problem at coinbase. Hopefully, they get it sorted.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2013, 05:39:12 PM

I think this one is caused by a problem at coinbase. Hopefully, they get it sorted.

can you explain or link a thread?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: