Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:48:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Weekend Dip Myth  (Read 27234 times)
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 08:24:29 AM

Well, whats gonna happen this Saturday and Sunday I wonder?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:03:14 AM

If enough ppl believe in the dip, they gonna sell now and buy back on Monday so the dip gonna happen.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:13:52 AM

Here's a prediction from another thread:

Also, Bitcoin is now in the danger zone range of $11-12. Expect about a 10% decline over the weekend.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 10:50:50 AM

Also, Bitcoin is now in the danger zone range of $11-12. Expect about a 10% decline over the weekend.

while a 10% dip can always happen, the above quotes are typical of a bullrun. still, many people don't believe that it can go much higher and then run behind the curve

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 04:54:50 PM

while a 10% dip can always happen, the above quotes are typical of a bullrun. still, many people don't believe that it can go much higher and then run behind the curve

and even if that misguided prediction were to occur do you really want to risk ending up like Adam, left behind in the dust?  your timing would have to be perfect.
dopamine

Activity: 486
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 03:37:22 PM

So when does the weekend dip happen sat? sun?

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 03:39:46 PM

lately it's been friday, thursday, wednesday, and sometimes even as early as tuesday.

It's been theorized that at one point the weekend dip will be up to 1 week earlier than expected and therefore there will be twice as hard a dip.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 04:55:11 PM

lately it's been friday, thursday, wednesday, and sometimes even as early as tuesday.

It's been theorized that at one point the weekend dip will be up to 1 week earlier than expected and therefore there will be twice as hard a dip.
No, Wed-Fri are all strongly up. Mon-Tue are down. This is because people fail to anticipate the weekend dip, possibly the most reliable indicator of price-time correlation. In fact, the weekend dip has been delayed because so many people believe that it is a myth.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 05:28:08 PM

Or that someone or some group artificially stabilize the price to make it look like a myth.  Nice valley formed this weekend.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:36:48 PM

My bet goes on sunday.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:47:38 PM

So many people are waiting for the weekend, that it is now the mid-week dip. It goes great with potato chips.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
dree12
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 07:50:58 PM

So many people are waiting for the weekend, that it is now the mid-week dip. It goes great with potato chips.
I just debunked this myth... I'm sure it's because so many people believe in the "mid-week dip" that the weekend dip has been delayed. The price now goes down on Monday and Tuesday, and shoots up Wednesday to Friday.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 08:31:32 PM

and even if that misguided prediction were to occur do you really want to risk ending up like Adam, left behind in the dust?  your timing would have to be perfect.

How is it misguided when no one can predict the future?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

ruski

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:59:40 AM

When I sat down on Friday night to finally decide if I was going to dump another $1500 into BTC, at $11.40, or wait for the weekend dip, I considered the following -

Three very large and obviously false walls - $12, $12.20 and $13, all of which disappeared as expected, so big players are trying to get a lower buy-in.
The weekend dip for the last month has been shallower and shallower only to be followed by growth the next week. Everyone else has noticed that by now, and expects the price to continue rising.
Large support on the buy side, outweighing the sell side about three-to-one. Even with weekend sales and bank-deposit limited new buys, the demand would hold.

With all the nervous holdouts that were waiting for the dip that hasn't come buying back in, along with new deposits, along with left-behind buy orders brought to market, I'm expecting panic buys to hit the roof this monday-tuesday. $15 doesn't look outlandish.

The June $30 bubble happened within a day. That day might be coming again sooner than you think - except with volume an order of magnitude higher than it was then, it's much more likely to reach that point and then stay.

Just my two satoshis. Grin Happy trading.

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 09:00:19 AM

When I sat down on Friday night to finally decide if I was going to dump another $1500 into BTC, at $11.40, or wait for the weekend dip, I considered the following -

Three very large and obviously false walls - $12, $12.20 and $13, all of which disappeared as expected, so big players are trying to get a lower buy-in.
The weekend dip for the last month has been shallower and shallower only to be followed by growth the next week. Everyone else has noticed that by now, and expects the price to continue rising.
Large support on the buy side, outweighing the sell side about three-to-one. Even with weekend sales and bank-deposit limited new buys, the demand would hold.

With all the nervous holdouts that were waiting for the dip that hasn't come buying back in, along with new deposits, along with left-behind buy orders brought to market, I'm expecting panic buys to hit the roof this monday-tuesday. $15 doesn't look outlandish.

The June $30 bubble happened within a day. That day might be coming again sooner than you think - except with volume an order of magnitude higher than it was then, it's much more likely to reach that point and then stay.

Just my two satoshis. Grin Happy trading.

Great post, and this is in line with our forecast and it is also in line with my experience in 2011.
Most of the biggest advances actually happened over the weekend or close to the weekend as bears were caught off guard.

In June 2011, prices tripled in just 8 days and the second strongest advance within that was on a weekend (Jun 4+5).

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 09:16:09 PM

What I find interesting about false walls is that they can become very real if a long term investor who does not mind paying say 2% or 3% over market simply buys the thing out. If the purpose of the false wall was to induce selling so that a "big player" who is short can cover his short position then the real fun begins.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 09:40:12 PM

The Weekend Dip Myth My Ass!

dopamine

Activity: 486
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 11:28:34 PM

looks like it still holds...

Bitcoinica still has not given me 50% of my claim of 600 BTC
INTERSANGO can go down with bitcoinica for abandoning customers
Alberto Armandi is a SCAMMER
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 11:39:27 PM

The original weekend dip strategy refers to when there is a downtrend is occurring.     We are not in a downtrend.  

The weekend dip strategy said that: "On Wednesday evening (west)/Thursday morning (east) if the 7-day high for the exchange rate is lower then the 7-day high from the previous week, then more likely than not, a weekend dip will result and gains of three to five percent are likely.  So the recommended practice was to sell at that time, and buy those bitcoins back over the weekend when the selloff starts to reverse."

The weekend dip indicator hasn't flashed green since May.   That doesn't mean there haven't been dips during the weekend, it just means they original strategy didn't suggest to sell mid-week and buy back over the weekend.    Now there appears to be another pattern where buying on Saturday and selling on Tuesday or so, and do that week after week, seems to be a winning strategy.  So there isn't necessarily a dip occurring over the weekend, but that a rally happens early in the week.

There is always a battle between greed and fear and the weekend dips were oftentimes where fear had the upper hand.  Ever since cash deposit methods have been available even on the weekends now, a weekend decline just doesn't snowball into 10%+ selloffs anymore like they used to.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

dree12
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 12:19:48 AM

The original weekend dip strategy refers to when there is a downtrend is occurring.     We are not in a downtrend.  

The weekend dip strategy said that: "On Wednesday evening (west)/Thursday morning (east) if the 7-day high for the exchange rate is lower then the 7-day high from the previous week, then more likely than not, a weekend dip will result and gains of three to five percent are likely.  So the recommended practice was to sell at that time, and buy those bitcoins back over the weekend when the selloff starts to reverse."

The weekend dip indicator hasn't flashed green since May.   That doesn't mean there haven't been dips during the weekend, it just means they original strategy didn't suggest to sell mid-week and buy back over the weekend.    Now there appears to be another pattern where buying on Saturday and selling on Tuesday or so, and do that week after week, seems to be a winning strategy.  So there isn't necessarily a dip occurring over the weekend, but that a rally happens early in the week.

There is always a battle between greed and fear and the weekend dips were oftentimes where fear had the upper hand.  Ever since cash deposit methods have been available even on the weekends now, a weekend decline just doesn't snowball into 10%+ selloffs anymore like they used to.
Prices are highest on Fridays, and now the disease is catching on to Saturday. Buy after the weekend dip on Tuesday and sell before it on Friday/Saturday.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: